My Peavey Royal 8 amp is vibrating like freakin' crazy. I can't play anything clean at all because there is something that is rattling. If I put the master at 2 and the gain at 2, it just vibrates and rattles louder than the speaker sound. Even cranked to the max, I can still hear this weird sound. I originally thought it was the speaker, so I replaced that. Problem remains. I removed the tube cage. Problem remains. I tightened every damn screw on the thing and, you guessed it, the problem remains. Is there never any discussion about the Royal 8 because it's a royal pain in the butt? I like the sound for a 5 watt tube amp, but the rattling is insane. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on how to fix it?
It's definitely the amp, not the room. The room shakes, but I can tell the difference. The rattling is coming from inside the amp somewhere, and sometimes sounds like it's from the speaker. I'm about to give up on it. I have the Classic 30 and a Marshall JVM anyways, so there's really no need to waste time on the Royal 8.
Could it be the plastic top grill cover (the thing with the Peavey logo?) Might just put a little foam behind it.
I took off the winged thing on the grill. Surprisingly it is made of metal. I thought that was the cure. I can at least get some clean on this amp now. But once I hit a certain point, there is still this odd rattling. And it's not tube rattle. The more I listen, the more it sounds like metal, but I don't know where. Everything in the chassis looks good and tightened down. So i think that there are just various things vibrating inside.
Pick it up while it's off, and shake. And listen. Open it up, and poke stuff with your hand, until you find something loose.

KEEP ONE HAND IN YOUR POCKET! NO TOUCHING FILTER CAPS!
I have already tried the shake and listen idea. I poked around with a piece of plastic and found nothing loose. The only thing that it could be is one of the mounting screw brackets that attaches the chassis to the cabinet. Any idea on how to keep those from moving?
Quote by blackreign
I have already tried the shake and listen idea. I poked around with a piece of plastic and found nothing loose. The only thing that it could be is one of the mounting screw brackets that attaches the chassis to the cabinet. Any idea on how to keep those from moving?

You could buy some sheets of foam or rubber from a craft store, cut them into little squares the same size as the brackets, and put them between the brackets and the chassis/cabinet.
I think I may have solved my problem! Just recently I've been tuning down half a step and my guitar isn't set up for that so strings are buzzing slightly. When I play without my amp it's hardly noticeable and the same when I play through my solid state but I think the VK is more sensitive so it's picking it up a lot more. I'm going to have a go at re-setting up my guitar and I'll let you know how I get on!
I've tried several different guitars and the amp still makes the buzzing. It actually buzzes on it's own if I'm playing another amp in the same room at a loud volume. I'm thinking it's something in the chassis...Maybe I'll take a look at it again today.
That's really weird. I hope I don't have the same problem because it sounds like a nightmare!