I read something on here awhile back saying that Guitar Center gave a 10% discount on amps/electric guitars if you mentioned you were going to use the guitar in your schools Jazz band or your Church, is this true? I will be using the guitar/amp I buy in my Schools jazz band, so this would make me a VERY happy camper.

If it is true, do I need to have a note from my band instructor or someone to verify that I am, in fact, a member of the Jazz band?
all different music stores are different in discounts. It is called an education discount you need to show your school ID. some online stores offer that as well. Some software may be different as far as upgrades go but for the most part same item. With buying gear it may be only certain brands. But if it is for school your parents can write it off for taxes.
Hmm, how exactly would I go about getting a school ID? Sorry, I live out in the boonies and I don't even think the system is aware of like half the kids that go to my school lol.

The tax part I never even thought about, but that's def true. Damn, maybe they'll chip in a bit more on this lol!

*Edit

Well, now that I think about it IDK, because I won't be donating this guitar/amp combo I'm buying to the school, I'll keep it. Usually tax write offs are work expenses and donations right? Sorry I'm 16 and have barely even seen tax forums lol.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Mar 23, 2008,
GC also has "wildcat" sales, impossible for me to keep up with. I'll go in and they'll have a 10% (or more) off sale on something - keyboards, amps, accessories, whatever.
Quote by phank
GC also has "wildcat" sales, impossible for me to keep up with. I'll go in and they'll have a 10% (or more) off sale on something - keyboards, amps, accessories, whatever.

I have been aware about these, is there any website that shows what items are on sale at any given time? Or do the stores themselves put these things on items to get you to see that the price is dropped so you buy something when you come in?
You mentioned that if youre going to use that particular guitar/amp in your Church you would get a discount? How would I go about getting the discount if I will be using said guitar/amp for the HS Worship band at my church?
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by jake911
guitarcenter.com?

I'm there like everyday and they don't show them

Quote by Metalcoresoul
You mentioned that if youre going to use that particular guitar/amp in your Church you would get a discount? How would I go about getting the discount if I will be using said guitar/amp for the HS Worship band at my church?

I don't know if they do this, I was going to ask when I went in today but the guy last week made the mistake and told me they'd be open, they were closed I was/am pissed lol
Hmm, how exactly would I go about getting a school ID?

That is your problem not mine..

They are also going to ask you for proof that it is for school use. It is not that easy to get around it if you are not intending to use for academic purposes. I teach and we get a discount because I work for the school as well as the students. Though I dont think they will give you a discount on a les paul.
Quote by dennis10
Hmm, how exactly would I go about getting a school ID?

That is your problem not mine..

They are also going to ask you for proof that it is for school use. It is not that easy to get around it if you are not intending to use for academic purposes. I teach and we get a discount because I work for the school as well as the students. Though I dont think they will give you a discount on a les paul.

Yeah, but as a teacher you probably have a better idea then I do, but w/e.

What exactly would count as proof that it's for school use? If I got my band teacher to write a note would that be sufficient or is it going to be almost impossible to get the discount?

If it's going to be excruciatingly painful I can go without, I'm just trying to save myself a few bucks.
I just received something in the mail for the month of March where you got 10% one item that you bought. I am sure that if you mention that your friend got a 10% green tag coupon and you want the same thing, they'll probably honor it, especially if you say that Sam Ash or some other store will give it to you but you want to stay with GC for all your purchases.
Quote by lafromla1
I just received something in the mail for the month of March where you got 10% one item that you bought. I am sure that if you mention that your friend got a 10% green tag coupon and you want the same thing, they'll probably honor it, especially if you say that Sam Ash or some other store will give it to you but you want to stay with GC for all your purchases.

These are very good ideas, I'll just do this. I have a feeling the school discount will be harder to accomplish than I thought. Maybe if they won't honor that I'll just go "oh... I figured you guys would give me that so I don't have the other %10..." Then ask my dad if he has it only to say "Sorry son" and then one little tear leaks down the side of my cheek.

Call me satan, but if it saves me over $100, I'd do it plus it'd be a great laugh lol
I haven't bought a zillion things from GC, but enough to wonder whether in fact you can haggle at all. Each purchase I've made, after they go through their song and dance, they've given me 10% of the nominal MSRP on larger purchases (over $500). And this seems like a pretty good discount at the time.

HOWEVER, remember that GC is owned by the same people who own Musician's Friend, and their MSRP prices are identical to the MF prices. The thing is, when you order off the net, you're not paying sales tax, and quite often MF incudes some goodies along with larger purchases. And the sales tax I must pay at my nearest Guitar Center is 9 1/2%. By golly, with the 10% discount, I'm paying exactly what MF would cost me!

So it's not really a discount at all. They're just matching the effective price you'd pay elsewhere.
me:*goes into guitar center*
me:i'd like to get a 10% discount on this
clerk:Why, there's no sale on talkboxes
me:it's for jazz class
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Don't know about guitar centre's policies but i know at Long and McQuade (aka Canada's GC lol) I can walk in and say "I teach here's my name" and I get 20% off all purchases regardless of my actual using them for teaching (I teach Trombone, but use the discount on Guitar stuff all the time). they just put my name in the system, it comes up teacher, and I get discounts For you, just ask if they can give you a break, or failing that, if they can throw things in on top of the purchase.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix