Hey guys

Im looking to thicken my sound in my band as we're dropping a guitarist and going to have just the one and me on bass. I have to fill the gap left by the rhythm guy so want a decent OD/Distortion pedal that can give a slight bluesy tone but is a quality pedal which gives a warm tone and not a heap of crap.

I've had one of those Behringer £15 things for a couple of years and hate it with a passion.

Also looking for a chorus as I don't want OD all the time in every song.

Money is no obstacle so recommend some pedals. At the moment I'm swinging towards Boss ODB-3 and whatever the chorus is called.

Cheers
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
May want to look at a big muff pi, might be harder than youre looking for but its the fattest sound around
hmmmmm well if you want both easily im going to say buy some kind of multi effect pedal. but i have an ibanez overdrive/distortion pedal which i absolutly love and it was only like 40 bucks or something.
Quote by OneRust
May want to look at a big muff pi, might be harder than youre looking for but its the fattest sound around

Thanks for the suggestion, had one of those and hated it. Just sounds like a mess, I'm looking for a slight gruffy-ness (is that a word) whereas that was just all out fuzz Got rid for a profit though, somehow...

Quote by tr00 punx 666
hmmmmm well if you want both easily im going to say buy some kind of multi effect pedal. but i have an ibanez overdrive/distortion pedal which i absolutly love and it was only like 40 bucks or something.

A lot of multieffects just seem to do a lot of effects averagely (im making these words up...) and I'd like two done really well.

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

On the Boss ODB-3. I just bought one of those and like it quite well. (To be honest, I like enough that I am surprised the neighbors haven't started to complain..). I have started to play a bit of punk and alternative (and some T-Rex) on bass and it works well for me.
Well, on the count of the big muff, I can now personally say I've had experience with it, and seeing that it has been recommended, you now will read a pseudo-rant.

My guitar player recently got a Russian Big Muff. The Russian ones are supposed to be better on bass then the NYC ones. So I plugged into the thing. First thing I noticed was that my cables felt like they were about to fall out of the box. Strike one.

I played some stuff with the pedal off to see if it killed my tone with it off. It did no such thing. One point for the muff.

Now for the big finale. I turned the thing on. When I turned it on, I was half expecting fitzy to appear out of thin air and bitch slap me all the way to the internet. I was actually kinda sad he didn't.

But you all are probably wondering what happened to my low end. Did it disappear like the hooker you paid before you went to the bathroom? Surprisingly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I lost a little low end, and I lost A LOT when the tone knob was all the way up. But the loss wasn't bad enough to warrant the hate IMO. But, that doesn't mean I liked the pedal. It just sounded bad. I personally think the Muff sounds best on guitar when you are playing chords, and most bassists don't play that many chords. So it just sounded plain bad. Like a bumblebee. Really farty sound. Just not pleasing sound. So there you have it. The muff sucks, but it doesn't suck your low end.

EDIT: I guess I should contribute something to the conversation. Look at the Digitech Bass Driver. I got mine for 55 bucks, and its good. Its not gonna change my world, but I don't lose low end, and can get a kinda SVT growl, and some nice fuzz tones out of it. It can make a wide variety of sounds.
Quote by anarkee
On the Boss ODB-3. I just bought one of those and like it quite well. (To be honest, I like enough that I am surprised the neighbors haven't started to complain..). I have started to play a bit of punk and alternative (and some T-Rex) on bass and it works well for me.

It is an alright pedal and versatile, but the downside is it sometimes feedsback loads on some settings and the EQ isn't too well.. good.

If you're in a blues rock band I gonna go out on a limb and say you don't need constant fuzz all the time, you'd probably be more looking to simulate an overdriven tube amp. In this instance, it might be a good choice to look at something like the fulltone bassdrive as money is no object.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by KillEmAll
Hey guys

Im looking to thicken my sound in my band as we're dropping a guitarist and going to have just the one and me on bass. I have to fill the gap left by the rhythm guy so want a decent OD/Distortion pedal that can give a slight bluesy tone but is a quality pedal which gives a warm tone and not a heap of crap.

I've had one of those Behringer £15 things for a couple of years and hate it with a passion.

Also looking for a chorus as I don't want OD all the time in every song.

Money is no obstacle so recommend some pedals. At the moment I'm swinging towards Boss ODB-3 and whatever the chorus is called.

Cheers

I have an Ibanez PD-7 Overdrive/Distortion, and it's pretty good. There are drive, low, high, and level knobs, so you can get a pretty decent variety of tones.

I've found that if you leave it on the "clean" setting and switch the attack to "1", you can get a pretty nice dirty tone, albeit a bit mid scooped. You'd just need to dial more mids on your amp though.

The overdrive is quite good, although the distortion sounds a bit weak IMO.

However, if you're playing in a bluesy type band, you might want something like the Sansamp Bass Driver DI or the EBS Valvedrive. They're much warmer and less harsh sounding than many other overdrive pedals.

Plus, the Sansamp is also a great tone booster.
Cool, I was looking at the EBS pedals but they seem hard to come by on the net.

Anyone got any chorus recommendations?

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

For OD I'd buy a Fulltone Bass Drive and for chorus, I really like the EHX Clone Theory.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
For OD, I'd go for either the EBS Valvedrive or a Fulltone Bass Drive. Don't go for a Sansamp Bass Drive - it scoops the hell out of your mids!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I have a 480W GK stack.....

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

Nvrmind, I thought you had a Behringer. I guess i'd suggest a Sansamp 21 bass driver for that vintage tube tone.
Fulltone Bass Drive or the SansAmp DI are generally regarded as some of the best tube overdrive emulators in the bass world. Very different sounds, but both definately have that tube sound. Give both a try. I settled on the Bassdrive after not liking the Sansamp (well, actually, I gambled on it being good after I didn't like the Sansamp, and shipped it over from the states ).

However, I will have to oppose Tam and give a big no-no to the Boss ODB-3. Its ok. It gives a wide variety of sounds, including some serious fuzz. However, for a start, it have next to no range of overdrive. It is much more a fuzz/really-heavy-distortion pedal than an overdrive. But you just can't get a great sound out of it. A lot of the sounds it produces are plain awful, and I wasted (literally) hours tweaking it trying to get one really good tone out of it. I still haven't got one that has stayed satisfactory for more than 30 mins. Since I got my Fulltone, it lasted one session of practise in my rig. It now resides in its box.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Sly Taco
Digitech Bass Driver aint too bad.

Just doesn't compare to the Fulltone or the Sansamp though. For its price range, I'll agree its a damn good distortion. However, the others are at another level in quality (an unfortunately price).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Cool, I reckon I'll go with the Fulltone then.

Anyone heard anything good about the EBS chorus?

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

Quote by Welsh Guitar
For OD, I'd go for either the EBS Valvedrive or a Fulltone Bass Drive. Don't go for a Sansamp Bass Drive - it scoops the hell out of your mids!

Isn't the "Presence" knob pretty much a mid knob? There's also a blend knob as well.

Besides, I thought the classic SVT sound had a bit of mid scoop...
i would go with the BOSS pedals
I have both and they work realli well with each other and sound amazing on their own!
so yeah BOSS FTW!
Quote by KillEmAll
Cool, I reckon I'll go with the Fulltone then.

Anyone heard anything good about the EBS chorus?

I've not tried one out but I've heard good things. My favourite chorus is the EHX Stereo Clone Theory.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
MXR M-80's sound pretty good, and you can tweak 'em enough for a variety of sounds
I had a Boss ODB-3

traded it in

missed it like hell

bought another

OK, like many Boss Pedals, it colours your tone, this was particualy noticeable at a recent gig I played, BUT, not neccesarily in a bad way, it's all opinion, and a lot of my basses character still came through, you could just tell it was coming through a pedal too...

what the ODB-3 does best in my opinion is the low end kinda distorted noise, Im thinking similiar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_yU2Nr2YH8
Which may be the kinda bluesy sound you want??
but it isn't so great at trebly stuff, starts to sound really nasty and fake the more treble you run through it in my opinion
It also sounds pretty cool combined with my Chorus pedal, which is some random Bass Chrous I bought cheap, works well though
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"