Most guitarist have their own way of warming up there hands, just as scales and playing songs before a show. But in my opinion nothing is better when your warming up and helping your fingers jump the gun and get your agility to the top, faster then by popping your fingers/knuckles while warming up. Some would just say myth, but me and a fellow friend who playes guitar argue about if it really works. My arguement is that if you would pop your fingers it would release a lot of pressure thus causeing your fingers to move faster. His arguement, my dad has been playing for years and he never pops his fingers. So let's see what you guys have to say, yea or nay....Thanks

-King
i ALWAYS crack mine before playing bass, usually before guitar. im going to regret it when im older but im a badass like that.
I already regret ever starting to crack my fingers. If i dont i just suck at anything im trying to play. Then i crack my fingers and its like magic and i can play it.

I hate my fingers
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
its not accually your bone popping when u crack your fingers

its tiny sacks of lubricant for your joints, and when u crack them in releases all the lubricant at once

this is probably why you play better when u crack them, but its also why some peoples joins swell when they do it
lol can someone say future arthritis? Yes I admit, if I'm playing a walking bass line for 30-40 mins at a time, I HAVE TOO crack my knuckles. My doctor said I shouldn't all to often because it may lead to future problems.
Quote by J6strings21fret
lol can someone say future arthritis? Yes I admit, if I'm playing a walking bass line for 30-40 mins at a time, I HAVE TOO crack my knuckles. My doctor said I shouldn't all to often because it may lead to future problems.

There is very little conclusive evidence supporting a link between finger cracking and arthritis, though some studies have linked it to reduced grip strength.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by JAS1121

its tiny sacks of lubricant for your joints, and when u crack them in releases all the lubricant at once

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT WRONG!!! but thanks for playing

i can't remember specifically but i believe its actually nitrogen bubbles (though it might be oxygen bubbles i can't honestly remember which gas it is)
as i believe archeo said, there is no proof that cracking your knuckles leads to arthritis. its an old wives tale. if you wanna crack your knuckles then go for it. i do all the time and the only thing that stands in my way is an ever so slight case of carpal tunnel (damned computers and playing with too much tension for all those years)
JAS1121: I think z4twenny is right on this, I believe it's some kind of gas-filled bubble popping. The "sacks of lubricant" you're referring to might be bursae, which are small fluid-filled sacs located between bones and tendons to provide a cushion for muscles and tendons around a specific joint. However, they wouldn't be responsible for that sound.
^ that is accurate and if those sacs full of fluid were to burst you would be in quite a bit of agonizing f#cking pain.
I never crack my fingers. I just pickup my guitar and play.

Scrolling my mouse for too long does make my middle finger a bit sore though.
i do this thing which impossible to explain but i'll try..

like moving each individual finger down and then up in like a wave. if anyone gets me that's awesome.
A fool is not one who makes a mistake, a fool is one who does not learn from it.
-me HAH!
Quote by King of Diamond
Most guitarist have their own way of warming up there hands, just as scales and playing songs before a show. But in my opinion nothing is better when your warming up and helping your fingers jump the gun and get your agility to the top, faster then by popping your fingers/knuckles while warming up. Some would just say myth, but me and a fellow friend who playes guitar argue about if it really works. My arguement is that if you would pop your fingers it would release a lot of pressure thus causeing your fingers to move faster. His arguement, my dad has been playing for years and he never pops his fingers. So let's see what you guys have to say, yea or nay....Thanks

-King

i used too. but then i realized the only reason i needed to do that was because i was putting too much tension in my hand. once i lightened my touch and didnt press so hard and worked on my technique, it went away.
My fingers won't crack anymore.... as much as i would like to sometimes they won't, it gets pretty bad when my friends grab my hand and try to crack my knuckles and all they really do is bend my fingers inwards... still hurts though ... anyways i just think it's gross...
Quote by z4twenny
^ that is accurate and if those sacs full of fluid were to burst you would be in quite a bit of agonizing f#cking pain.

Yes - I've heard of bursitis, where the bursa becomes inflamed, but I've never heard of it actually rupturing. Doesn't sound pleasant.
I've always been of the general opinion that anything popping or cracking is bad. I find it generally is a signal for other problems. For example, my collar bone tends to pop because my front deltoids and neck muscles aren't proper. My wrist and elbow also gets poppy if I get too large of an angle when playing guitar.

If you're doing it on purpose I have guess it not horrible. As Archeo said there's no conclusive side effects. However, I would analyze your technique to make sure there aren't any flaws that make the cracking necessary.
Myth: Cracking your knuckles causes arthritis.

Reality: There's no evidence that knuckle cracking causes arthritis but it may cause temporary soreness of the joint. Knuckles are the joints that connect your fingers to your hand. These joints are surrounded and lubricated by synovial fluid, a thick, clear liquid. When you crack your knuckles, you're causing the bones of the joint to pull apart. This causes a gas bubble to form in the joint. The cracking or popping sound you hear is the breaking of the adhesive seal in the joint. It may take awhile for the joint to reseal before you can crack your knuckles again. The repetitive motion of cracking wears down the joints and their protective cushioning, so the habit could worsen osteoarthritis, but plays no role in rheumatoid arthritis, which is caused when a person's own immune system attacks the joints.

Taken from http://www.uams.edu/news/medical_myths/
Proud member of the r0k 4 Chr15† club, PM christianbassis oe teh raven to join
My guitars-
Ibanez RX-40 (Had it since I was six lol )
A spanish classical guitar
I do crack my fingers before I play at rehearsals usually, not to play faster though, its just habbit I guess. I do get a build up of tension sometimes (what feels like tension anyway) when i'm not playing and I crack them and it feels sooooo much better lol Never noticed a speed increase to be honest...

I've always wondered what makes the noise, and now I do
Quote by King of Diamond

-King

+1
Quote by 12345abcd3
Add 1 to what?

You fail interweb lingo.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
You know an old friend of mine(like 15yrs ago) use to crack his knuckes for fun all the time. He didn't develop any arthritis or anything but got some kinda problem with his fingers. But he used to do it like every 5minutes...weirdo.

I actually use shiatsu on my fingers.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
i crack mine ALL the time, before during and after playing, then i just warm up with some legato and sweeping to get the blood flowing in the left hand, and then string skipping to get the right hand coordinated
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
^ yeah, also a nice really warm bath thing in the sink for like 10 - 15 minutes a day to get the muscles all loose is good too. it sounds gay but after a week you'll be surprised (i do this about twice a day, a month before i start seriously recording guitar/bass bits and it can do wonders)
I got my dad's chiropractor to show me a couple techniques on loosening and warming up the muscles in my hands. It works great! That being said, I still crack them before or after playing. But only sometimes. Not always. Basically if I feel like it. Meh.
Quote by Takendergib
i do this thing which impossible to explain but i'll try..

like moving each individual finger down and then up in like a wave. if anyone gets me that's awesome.

Yeah I know what you mean, I do that when I finish the stretches from Rock Discipline, just to make sure my fingers can move and to ease the burn. I can't believe noone's mentioned the warm-ups from Rock Discipline yet.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
I can't crack my knuckles. I used to do it all the time, but for the last couple of years, I haven't been able to crack them at all. I've tried to do it numerous times lately but every time I try to do it my knuckles just start to hurt and don't crack.

For warming up, I just put my hands in front of a heater for a couple minutes and then run through a couple sweeps I've made that are quite complicated. And then if I still don't feel I'm ready, I do a couple extreme stretches. For example, the John Petrucci Super Stretch:

e |-------11-------11--------5--------5-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B |-----9--------7---------7--------9---------11-------11--------5--------5-------------------------------------|
G |---7--------9---------9--------7---------9--------7---------7--------9---------11-------11--------5--------5-|
D |-5--------5--------11-------11---------7--------9---------9--------7---------9--------7---------7--------9---|
A |-------------------------------------5--------5--------11-------11---------7--------9---------9--------7-----|
E |-------------------------------------------------------------------------5--------5--------11-------11-------|