I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life and I know i really like history. Does anyone know what kind of careers are available with a major in history. Oh and any careers such as Maritime history or anything similar?
Ive heard its very easy to get into law with a history degree because history gives you the ability to look at sources of evidence and base arguements on them very well.

Thats what my history teacher told me anyway. Its a good degree to have, but not as good as a science degree, like chemistry or physics or biology to a lesser extent because biochemistry is teh pwn right now when it comes to making money.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Nothing, I love history as well, but it's not going to really get yeah anywhere..
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by RoadKill1991
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life and I know i really like history. Does anyone know what kind of careers are available with a major in history. Oh and any careers such as Maritime history or anything similar?

To be honest, not a lot. Most people with history type degrees go into other areas, the degree serves to show you can apply yourself and that you have writing and research skills.

In saying that, the key is to go with what you enjoy. If you want to study history, just do it, there will always be opportunities down the track in whatever you do.
I want to major in history and be a teacher.

There isn't much to do with a history major really. Teach, do research for a college.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You can get a PhD and go on the History channel ....

It's also a good major if you're planning on going to law school.
Sent from my iPad.
BS on the people that say that it will take you nowhere.
I'm speculating, but I'm sure that it can help you get into history research, and also maybe archeology.

EDIT: Now I'm reading the other replies.
Isn't a major a university degree or something like that? Or is it a highschool degree?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
EDIT: Now I'm reading the other replies.
Isn't a major a university degree or something like that? Or is it a highschool degree?

I assume he means his major when pursuing a Bachelor's degree.

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone
I assume he means his major when pursuing a Bachelor's degree.

-SD

Oh yeah that's what I thought.
Then I believe that it would allow you into the history research and archeology field.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Oh yeah that's what I thought.
Then I believe that it would allow you into the history research and archeology field.

If he wanted to do archaeology, wouldn't he just major in that?

-SD
history research as in historian? Know anything about maritime historians?
(and yes this is for college)
Quote by RoadKill1991
history research as in historian? Know anything about maritime historians?
(and yes this is for college)

Well as I said, I'm speculating.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Be a historian who specializes in the history of other historians.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
try History in A minor.
It might sound cooler
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
I wonder if Hollywood like the idea of a historian giving them movie ideas and researching the topic
Quote by darkstar2466
Be a historian who specializes in the history of other historians.

Or in the 80's heavy metal!

*High fives darkstar2466*
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by RoadKill1991

The main paths for History majors would be teaching or Law. I was interested in Law, so I tacked on History as a minor. You have to look at evidence and analyze it and see how it applies to whatever point you want to make, which is basically exactly what lawyers do. Other than those two career choices, though, I dunno what the point of History might be...

And because Law is one path for History majors, and you want to do maritime history, you could be a pirate lawyer!!!
Im Majoring in Mechanical Engineering and in May im getting my Masters and going to work for DARPA. GO ME!

But anyways you should look at Engineering; so ****ing cool and fun
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.
I don't know...maybe you could be a HISTORIAN with a history major?