While I was on youtube a couple weeks ago I was looking at videos of guitar and whatnot, I came across a video of someone doing an acoustic song. It was either AirTap by Erik Mongrain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k) or Ocean by John Butler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0). It was the kind of song where you have to tune your guitar to something ridiculous, so you can get harmonics and drone notes that sound cool and everything. If you watch the video you will know what I mean.

But while I was listening to the song I was reading some of the comments, and some idiot wrote, "Wow thats really impressive, I'd say your better then some metal players".

I wish I had a youtube account to tell him off and explain to him you cant possibly compare those 2 kinds of guitarists. They are completely different styles of music, where each guitarist has to work on different aspects of playing their guitar. Guitarists who play more metal music have to practice say sweep picking, while an acoustic player has to practice completely different things.

Basically I'm just ranting because that really pissed me off and that guy should really think before he talks.

Does this piss anyone else off?
Last edited by jeff541 at Mar 23, 2008,
If you're going to get pissed over youtube comments... Well, then you've got a lot to be pissed about.

Who the hell reads youtube comments?
I'm a communist. Really.
+1^
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Mar 23, 2008,
I do.

It does piss me off a little, just knowing that some people try to when bands of completely different genres need to focus on completely different things to play their style well.
ummm........who cares?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Raziel2p
If you're going to get pissed over youtube comments... Well, then you've got a lot to be pissed about.

Who the hell reads youtube comments?

Well if its just a video of a guitarist playing their song, theres not much else to do...
you know, i'm getting a little irritated when people are always so defensive about their opinions. Yes you can compare guitarists, its not illegal nor stupid. Yes they are different styles, but comparisons can always be made, playing guitar is similar enough to warrant comparisons. So please, everyone, stop saying you can't compare, you can. You really can.
Quote by curtis15
you know, i'm getting a little irritated when people are always so defensive about their opinions. Yes you can compare guitarists, its not illegal nor stupid. Yes they are different styles, but comparisons can always be made, playing guitar is similar enough to warrant comparisons. So please, everyone, stop saying you can't compare, you can. You really can.

Wrong. Classical guitar playing and metal guitar playing are about as similar as bass playing and balalaika playing, which you can't compare.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
i also hate this
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
You know youre a guitar player when you try to match the pitch of your guitar with a vacuum cleaner...

...mine's a Bb by the way...

OFFICIAL "DEAN PLAYERS UNITE" PLAYER #1
Quote by jeff541
While I was on youtube a couple weeks ago I was looking at videos of guitar and whatnot, I came across a video of someone doing an acoustic song. It was either AirTap by Erik Mongrain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k) or Ocean by John Butler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0). It was the kind of song where you have to tune your guitar to something ridiculous, so you can get harmonics and drone notes that sound cool and everything. If you watch the video you will know what I mean.

But while I was listening to the song I was reading some of the comments, and some idiot wrote, "Wow thats really impressive, I'd say your better then some metal players".

I wish I had a youtube account to tell him off and explain to him you cant possibly compare those 2 kinds of guitarists. They are completely different styles of music, where each guitarist has to work on different aspects of playing their guitar. Guitarists who play more metal music have to practice say sweet picking, while an acoustic player has to practice completely different things.

Basically I'm just ranting because that really pissed me off and that guy should really think before he talks.

Does this piss anyone else off?

Mean you sweep picking?
Quote by Reject_666_6
Wrong. Classical guitar playing and metal guitar playing are about as similar as bass playing and balalaika playing, which you can't compare.

Classical and metal both require speed and coordination, utilizing the left and right hand together. They both require knowledge of guitar, the notes on the fretboard, chord shapes, scales, modes, and other theory. Just because of small differences such as timbre, pick or finger, or whether or not you do fast legato runs with high distortion or chords with notes being woven in and out of them acoustically, doesn't change the fact that many fundamentals are similar.
Your somewhat right, but do you think Steve Vai or Yngwie could play Ocean by John Butler? or do you think Erik Mongrain could play For the Love of God? You just cannot compare the skill of a classical player and a metal player unless they are both playing the same style of music.
Quote by jeff541
Your somewhat right, but do you think Steve Vai or Yngwie could play Ocean by John Butler? or do you think Erik Mongrain could play For the Love of God? You just cannot compare the skill of a classical player and a metal player unless they are both playing the same style of music.

I honestly think if they practiced they could. Vurtuosos such as Vai, may not be a classical virtuoso, but he would still become excellent at classical, enough to play most of the songs in the genre.
Yes again, but at the very moment, you can't compare them. Although you can say, John Butler is one of the best guitarists in his genre, or Steve Vai is one of the most talented guitarists in his genre. You cannot say, Vai is more talented then Butler, because they both play completely different styles. And to your earlier comment, where you say something like "they both involve rythm and moving your hands on the fretboard", that is true, but your moving them in completely different manners. Look at how AirTap is played, then look at how Speed Metal Symphony is played.
Quote by jeff541
Yes again, but at the very moment, you can't compare them. Although you can say, John Butler is one of the best guitarists in his genre, or Steve Vai is one of the most talented guitarists in his genre. You cannot say, Vai is more talented then Butler, because they both play completely different styles. And to your earlier comment, where you say something like "they both involve rythm and moving your hands on the fretboard", that is true, but your moving them in completely different manners. Look at how AirTap is played, then look at how Speed Metal Symphony is played.

I never said that Vai was better than Butler, or vice-versa, but neither does your quote. You said that they guy said he was better than some metal players, not the best. I have no doubt in my mind that Vai would be a better classical guitarists than most are, and i also have no doubt that Butler would be a better shredder than most are.
that's like when you watch an Audioslave video on youtube and every Rage fan says Chris Cornell sucks ass and Zach De La Rocha is god there's very little comparison and they both suck depending on what perspectice you look at it
Quote by chinkboy7
that's like when you watch an Audioslave video on youtube and every Rage fan says Chris Cornell sucks ass and Zach De La Rocha is god there's very little comparison and they both suck depending on what perspectice you look at it

I think you can...you can judge and compare them based on how they front the band, not just singing. I wouldn't say something stupid like Chris sings so much better than Zach because Zach doesn't really sing, but other qualities are still comparable.
Quote by curtis15
I think you can...you can judge and compare them based on how they front the band, not just singing. I wouldn't say something stupid like Chris sings so much better than Zach because Zach doesn't really sing, but other qualities are still comparable.

the Rage fans on youtube don't base their decision on how they front the band they just bitch at how Chris is trying to be a copycat
Quote by chinkboy7
the Rage fans on youtube don't base their decision on how they front the band they just bitch at how Chris is trying to be a copycat

Well then they are comparing incorrectly, and youtube comments are horrible, don't even bother reading them. When i compare, i try to compare fairly, not ignorantly.
Quote by curtis15
Well then they are comparing incorrectly, and youtube comments are horrible, don't even bother reading them. When i compare, i try to compare fairly, not ignorantly.

i agree but i usually get bored when im waiting for the video to load and see what they post on there