Page 1 of 2
I was wondering whats the point of a halfstack? Why not just get a combo? For example the epi valve junior combo, and the halfstack. Why get the halfstack. Isnt it just a pain to have a really big amp if theyre the same wattage? Whats the point?
i will answer your question with 2 questions.

how long have you been playing guitar for?

are you retarded?
to say u have a halfstack thats all i can think of
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
the valve junior halfstack is just a head and a 1x12 cab. i'd take that over the combo which has a troublesome 8inch speaker in it.

true, buying a halfstack based soley on the looks isn't a good reason to buy one at all. if anything, it should be the last reason.

some people prefer the flexibility of a head and a cab. you can mix and match the head with different speakers and configurations. and it's easier to carry a 40lb head and 50lb cab separately than an 80lb combo with a handle on top ha.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
more speaker options, it projects better and usually has tighter bass, it looks good live (yes the really does matter), the head and cab configuration offers better insulation for the tubes against rattling. there are more but i think you get the point.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
expandability and flexibility.

you can always get a second 4X12 if you need it. You can swap out the head if it breaks and the cab still works, and vice versa. Plus, there's always the old wisdom that the less you cram in one box, the better it all sounds.
If you have several places you go to practice and ever place has a cabinet at said location you only need to bring the head. Also with a half stack configuration you could have a bunch of heads and one cabinet loaded with your speakers. It would be cheaper in the long run cause heads generally are cheaper but you'd be stuck with the same speakers.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
well....

the first most obvious point is that it is easier to test out different speaker and head combinations. you can also hook up more than one cab to get a fuller sound

why get a combo when you can get a halfstack?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
more speaker options, it projects better and usually has tighter bass, it looks good live (yes the really does matter), the head and cab configuration offers better insulation for the tubes against rattling. there are more but i think you get the point.

+1 more sound distribution
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Plus, there's always the old wisdom that the less you cram in one box, the better it all sounds.

thats the same with effects pedals. if you get a multi-effects pedal, the distortion won't sound as good as if you bought a pedal that was made just for distortion.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
I have a head and a 2x12 cab, so I guess I have a quarter-stack. I would honestly perfer a combo, but they didn't make the TT combo when I bought the head and I wanted the TT, so now I guess I'm stuck with a stack. Still sounds awesome though
Quote by McGelie
thats the same with effects pedals. if you get a multi-effects pedal, the distortion won't sound as good as if you bought a pedal that was made just for distortion.

That's a broad generalization and really has nothing to do with the amount "crammed" into the pedal.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I prefer the flexibility of a head and cab. You can easily swap cabs with different speakers with no fuss. I mean its not too difficult to wire up new speakers but more of a hassle than simply unplugging a speaker cable, then plugging it in to another input.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by McGelie

uh actually thats because multi effects are DIGITAL and not ANALOG.

I think this comes down to more of
If the exact same amp halfstack and combo were the same price, which would you get.
Unless size is a problem, i garuntee 99% of people would get the halfstack.
I agree, halfstacks look cooler. But not cool enough to get way less for my money.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
wow i`m shocked LOL, i figured 90% of UG would agree with this guy, tube combos are expenive as hell, tube 1/2 stacks are expenive as hell.... so why not just go with the bigger one LOL

stacks are better to me for reasons allready listed and yes they look DAMN wicked.
well i have a half stack because i gig at place that don't even a have adecent PA system to mic my smaller 50 hybrid amp. and the added bonuses of a better tone and fleximlity.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Quote by Slayerdeath
wow i`m shocked LOL, i figured 90% of UG would agree with this guy, tube combos are expenive as hell, tube 1/2 stacks are expenive as hell.... so why not just go with the bigger one LOL

stacks are better to me for reasons allready listed and yes they look DAMN wicked.

because 1/2 stacks are more expensive than combos, hence getting less for their money.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Slayerdeath

because 1/2 stacks are more expensive than combos, hence getting less for their money.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by dzaerpoor
I was wondering whats the point of a halfstack? Why not just get a combo? For example the epi valve junior combo, and the halfstack. Why get the halfstack. Isnt it just a pain to have a really big amp if theyre the same wattage? Whats the point?
To be loud and proud :P

and saying that your a serious musician with a half stack.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
*shrugs* ive only ever played through one halfstack, and it was a peavy something or other (solid state) and it was only ok.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Flexibility.

You can buy a head or speaker cabinet and mix them with other heads/cabinets.

Other reasons have already been mentioned.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
flexibility, alot better bass response and lighter individualy.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
I have one tube head, one 4x12 cab and one 2x12 cab, each in different locations. I just move the head around. I plan to eventually buy two more tube heads (Soldano, Framus Cobra). I'll then be able to mix and match heads, cabs, speakers. Lots of options.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 24, 2008,
My biggest reasons for getting a separate head and cab were: the mobility, the fact that there was somewhere in the neighborhood of only thirty combo versions of my amp ever built and finding one for sale is virtually impossible, and I'm yet to find a combo that offers a sealed back with front loaded speakers and tube ports on the front. I really don't see the need for a 412 when there are so many excellent 212 options available, but everyone has their reasons.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
i tried the ac30 as the classic combo and the head with a different cab (their bitching alnico blue cab)

i thought the stack sounded just eons better for what i played, however i do realize that the cab was just as expensive as the combo
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
i tried the ac30 as the classic combo and the head with a different cab (their bitching alnico blue cab)

i thought the stack sounded just eons better for what i played, however i do realize that the cab was just as expensive as the combo

THe stack sounded better because of the Alnico Blue cab. If the combo was loaded with Alnico Blues it would sound just as good or even better.
^its what i figured
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Well many reasons:
1. flexibility to interchange cab/speakers more easily
2. For some reason i find carrying a 30lb head and 80+lb 4x12 easier separately than a single 90lb combo
3. Sound. Imo 1/2 stacks sound much better than their combo brothers. You get that bigass incredible badass sound from a 100W head and a 4x12

Now stacks arnt nessicary and definitely not right for everyone but don't write them off. Soon ill be the proud owner of a 5150II or a carvin v3 halfstack .
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
My big reason is using different heads. You don't have to buy a new combo all together to get more options. You're pushin more air with a half stack and the least important reason is that they look friggen cool.
Gibson.
My only reason is that combos can be tube killers, they will shake and rattle your tubes at high volumes.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Sometimes certain amps only come in head form?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by dzaerpoor

Get a 60 watt tube combo. It's all you'll ever need, honestly.
I assume most people would get a halfstack instead of a combo if they were the same price, but this is never the case. For instance, on some site called dolphin music (the only site i could find that sells orange so i can make my comparison), has both the rockerverb 50 combo and in head and cab form.

The combo is 1135 pounds, and the head is 1099, and a 2x12 cab with the same speakers is 388 pounds.

So for an extra 36 pounds (72 dollars) you basically get a cab.

Some people find the advantages stated worth that extra almost 800 dollars.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by bigtimber112
Get a 60 watt tube combo. It's all you'll ever need, honestly.

I've had to run my 120 watt tube head almost full open several times at gigs, I really wish people would stop spewing crap like this. If you ever play an outdoor gig with a POS PA system you will very quickly realize why theres a need for 100 watt stacks.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I've had to run my 120 watt tube head almost full open several times at gigs, I really wish people would stop spewing crap like this. If you ever play an outdoor gig with a POS PA system you will very quickly realize why theres a need for 100 watt stacks.

Wattage doesn't measure volume. The volume difference between 60 and 120 watts is negligible.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Wattage doesn't measure volume. The volume difference between 60 and 120 watts is negligible.

Yeah but if you have to run your amp loud most people would need the extra headroom, and the extra speakers.

Last.fm
More volume (slightly), pushing more air, and more bottom end.

Slightly off topic:

I would have rather bought a 2x12 combo instead of the half stack and head if the store would have had one, but the only amp that sounded good was the used stack and head. Oh, and it was cheaper than a combo cause it was used lol.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Page 1 of 2