Page 1 of 9
Okay, Fairlyy similar sports on level of physical involvement but.

What do Americans think of Rugby?

I mean, generally Americans think their Football is one of the toughest sports etc etc.

buut, compared to rugby, it's not, is it? because in AF they have protection, rugby they dont.

also i realise differnet rules, goals etc etc, but,

im curious :/

I also know NOTHING of either sport so, aha, im not trying to start a flame warr or anytingg, but im just curious! Oh, nor am i generalising against Americans, but, it's obviously more popular there,than here.
I think they are both stupid and brutish sports to play, and people play them to try to make themselves feel superior, strong and alpha male-ish. Seriously, just hitting eachother over and over?
Well I'm American and I will be the first to say that rugby is much more of a tough sport than our football. However, I will also add the statement that rugby is a ruffian's sport played by gentlemen and soccer/real football is a gentleman's sport played by ruffians.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Sports are boring. I prefer wasting my time on music.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Well evertime i see rugby it looks like their not going full speed when they hit each other( idont blame em though) iv played football for 8 years and without all the protection id probably be braindead right now.
If you don't like America, then you can get out!
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
It seems to me that the american's sport, while allowing more physical protection, allows harder hits as well. Less potential for injury, maybe, I don't know for sure as I've never really seen a rugby game up close...but it seems that you'll get knocked around pretty bad in both.
Nope, no sig here.
rugby is much better than football
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by CraigKing
I like America :| it's lovely

Well.... if you don't like American Football, then you can get out!
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
if AF players did wear all of those pads there would be multiple fatalities. I like both sports actually.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Well.... if you don't like American Football, then you can get out!

i don;t know anything about it lolll, i was just curious how you guys think of it to Rugby XD
The other thing about rugby is that there aren't the stoppages. You need to have stamina as well as strength.

I can only reiterate what CraigKing said, don't ever say rugby players can't take/make the same hits as American Football.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uNqZpggwoog&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OM4-C_iC4_k&feature=related

Edit: It takes balls to get back up after this!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aArsKSlNyyg
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Mar 24, 2008,
still though, the average AF player is a lot bigger than the average rugby player.

Last.fm
American football FTW
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
A show did a study on the hardest hits in pro sports, comparing a hockey in-the-boards hit to a rugby hospital pass to an NFL blindside to a MMA body slam. The hit generated by the NFL blindside was almost 50% higher than the impact of the rugby hospital pass, but then again, the NFL hit is more widely distributed across the body than the rugby hit. These all paled in comparison, however, to the MMA body slam, which had a higher head injury factor than a 35 mph car crash. There's also a lot of truth to the opinion expressed earlier that because they're padded more, they'll hit harder because the person administering the hit is less likely to be injured. It's like boxing - boxers with 12 oz. gloves will hit harder than a person using bare knuckles because they're less likely to suffer a broken hand administering stronger hits, but the padding diffuses the hit more than the smaller bare hand.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
still though, the average AF player is a lot bigger than the average rugby player.

The average AF player operates in 10 second bursts. Jonah Lomu was 1.96m/125kgs.

Quote by Dirk Gently
A show did a study on the hardest hits in pro sports, comparing a hockey in-the-boards hit to a rugby hospital pass to an NFL blindside to a MMA body slam. The hit generated by the NFL blindside was almost 50% higher than the impact of the rugby hospital pass, but then again, the NFL hit is more widely distributed across the body than the rugby hit. These all paled in comparison, however, to the MMA body slam, which had a higher head injury factor than a 35 mph car crash. There's also a lot of truth to the opinion expressed earlier that because they're padded more, they'll hit harder because the person administering the hit is less likely to be injured. It's like boxing - boxers with 12 oz. gloves will hit harder than a person using bare knuckles because they're less likely to suffer a broken hand administering stronger hits, but the padding diffuses the hit more than the smaller bare hand.

Even comparing a hospital pass to a NFL blindside hit is a bit unfair. Blindsides in rugby are pretty rare. Two key differences in rugby are that:
a.) Players must use their arms in a tackle;
b.) The tackled player often eases off just before impact to enable them to turn their bodies to recycle the ball.
Quote by Kiwi Ace
The other thing about rugby is that there aren't the stoppages. You need to have stamina as well as strength.

I can only reiterate what CraigKing said, don't ever say rugby players can't take/make the same hits as American Football.

excellent point, it can get just as rough. but why do we care which is rougher, we play because its fun. some enjoy AF others rugby, who cares.
Quote by CraigKing
i don;t know anything about it lolll, i was just curious how you guys think of it to Rugby XD

oh... well I just wanted to use that quote. But yeah, both sports are brutal. But I like American Football more.

Quote by Kiwi Ace
The average AF player operates in 10 second bursts. Jonah Lomu was 1.96m/125kgs.

Yeah but the point is a 300 lb person ramming you is going to hurt a lot worse than a 200 lb person ramming you, which is why AF players wear pads.

Last.fm
AMerican rugby seems alot more complicate cause they should all those random things like 24 hut hut. Im just sitting there thinking wtf was that all about. And what rugby teams were compared, because New zealand, Australian and South Africa rugby is alot rougher and professional than other countries.
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Lookatthis97787.jpg[/img]
Quote by sean_etc
AMerican rugby seems alot more complicate cause they should all those random things like 24 hut hut. Im just sitting there thinking wtf was that all about. And what rugby teams were compared, because New zealand, Australian and South Africa rugby is alot rougher and professional than other countries.

what they are doing is calling an audible, which changes the play right before the action starts, this is done to throw the defense off.

Last.fm
i live in the united states(arizona) and i play rugby form my school and i love it.
its alot tougher then football but nobody believes me here.
theres only 6 teams including us in the whole state.
im one of the smallest guys at my school and i play but the big football guys are to afraid.
member of ug hatecrew

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
Rugby is stupid. I hate it with a passion. American Football is better, and IMO, rougher.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Are there any illegal tackles in American football?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Yeah but the point is a 300 lb person ramming you is going to hurt a lot worse than a 200 lb person ramming you, which is why AF players wear pads.

I didn't say anything about pads, I don't have a problem with it. My point was AF players can be bigger because the need barely any stamina. I actually really enjoy AF and am a big follower of it. I mentioned Jonah Lomu, the NFL actually wanted to sign him, I guess he would have played RB. He was 275lb/6'5 and could cover 100m in about 10.8 seconds.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
Rugby is stupid. I hate it with a passion. American Football is better, and IMO, rougher.

Just 'cos the Highlanders suck
Quote by curtis15
I think they are both stupid and brutish sports to play, and people play them to try to make themselves feel superior, strong and alpha male-ish. Seriously, just hitting eachother over and over?

You know so little i almost pity you...this is an unfair comparison between two good sports in thier own rights...although i prefer rugby

come on Leicester for the EDF anglo-welsh cup
Curtis15, people dont hit each other in rugby. Your not allowed to. They tackle, but only to stop the person who has the ball from getting through their defence
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

WTF? He's from the UK, America doesn't own the internet and why should someone just shut up if they have a negative opinion about the US?
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Rugby is a masculine, brutish, dirty sport and so far much better than American Football, which insists on stopping every three minutes.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Draken
come on Leicester for the EDF anglo-welsh cup

Euch, damn leicester fans. London Irish FTW!

The problem with comparisons between rugby and american football is that they are two completely different games. When you play american football, a tackle is basically taking the guy down, in rugby you've got to do it in a specific way, then you have to hold the player when he's on the ground and then your teammates have to try and win the ball in the ruck. American football is also far more structured, with pauses every few seconds and plays. In rugby you do have tactics but there's more of a flow and the game is always changing when in american football it's not as much.

I enjoy watching both games but rugby is just far far more entertaining as a sport, I also believe that it is far more tactical.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Mar 24, 2008,
^ as much as I enjoy rugby, I believe that America football is one of the most tactical sports in the world. Watching a good defense vs. a good offense is one of the most exciting parts of the game.

Quote by sean_etc
Are there any illegal tackles in American football?

absolutely. You cannot lead with your head (spearing) or hit someone helmet to helmet. You also cannot grab by the facemask or by the back of the neck.
UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
Quote by jono034
^ as much as I enjoy rugby, I believe that America football is one of the most tactical sports in the world. Watching a good defense vs. a good offense is one of the most exciting parts of the game.

absolutely. You cannot lead with your head (spearing) or hit someone helmet to helmet.

Are there any more?