IVE recently been experimenting with pickups and yea its a magnet wound in alot of thin copper wire and then dipped in wax. k.

ppl go on about them like theyre the cure for all your sound problems but most of the time you arent listening to the pickup anyway with the amount of distortion some ppl use and if your getting feedback its most likely to just need hightening or lowering, unless youve got a cheapass copy model or somethin and they didnt dip it in wax. It makes me wonder when a manafacturor goes on about how thier pickups are so much better n they put so much attention to detail like they have ''have rich harmonics'' and stuff, its just depends what setup youve got i know the last thing im listening to is the pickups after all the messn around with the tone i do, as long as im using a Bride humbucker, i just havent had the chance to look at EMG's yet any big difference there?

and i can see theres no big difference between a bass pickup and guitar pickup other than like, bigger sized ones on a bass to covor more area of vibration,

anyone got anything to say? why spend 300$ on some awesome brand pickup when you could get someone to make that same pickup for like 30$???
Because they're not the same.

Material, number of winds, thickness of wire, type of magnet, and many other things effect tone.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Because they're not the same.

Material, number of winds, thickness of wire, type of magnet, and many other things effect tone.

TS = You've just been pwned.
Ha ha, I see what you did there.
Your entire account was created to reveal this huge fact unto us.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
TS, did you know that the 5th fret on the E string is the same as the open A string?
Quote by FLUX_
TS, did you know that the 5th fret on the E string is the same as the open A string?

Get out. You are such a liar.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by FLUX_

haha

And honestly, are you telling me that the pickups on a Fender strat are exactly the same as the ones on an ESP or Schecter?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by FLUX_

Lol, that thread was/is still hiliarious to read, I have it linked under my favorites and go visit it from time to time .

TS: Not only is there the brand and type of pickup that makes up the difference, but also whether or not its an active/passive pickup. There are quite a few differences between pickups.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Pickups make a huge difference. You probably just have a setup that completely wipes the guitars original tone from it. With my setup it makes a 100% difference for what pickup I use because it takes every sound that my guitar is making and puts it cleanly through the amp. And doodleface is completely right when he says:
"Material, number of winds, thickness of wire, type of magnet, and many other things effect tone."

Also, no one needs to know "How Many Times The Peter Piper Wound The Perfect Pickup" But they do know that each different amount of times he did wind it, it makes it sound different.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
There's even differences in similarly designed pickups. A P-90 is very different from a strat pickup.
Nope, no sig here.
''Material, number of winds, thickness of wire, type of magnet, and many other things effect tone." YES I RECOGNISE THIS, its more the guitar as well, if you put a fender pickup in a epiphone its still gonna sound like an epiphone, vice versa
Quote by Mutant Corn
There's even differences in similarly designed pickups. A P-90 is very different from a strat pickup.

A p-90 and a strat pickup are not similarly designed