I'm looking into upgrading my guitar, since it's tax return time I currently play a Schecter Omen, which is a nice guitar for what it is, but it's time for an upgrade. The guitars I'm considering are in the title, and for the C1, it would most likely be the Shedevil, C1 Plus or C1 Elite, but I have a few questions. As far as the SG's go, would the G-400, and a new set of pickups (possibly the G-400 that comes stock with emgs) or the Gibson SG Special be a wiser purchase? I love the look of the G-400, as it more resembles the Gibson Standard.. apart from the lack of a neck binding, and the different headstock, and the G-400 is the only SG I've had the opportunity to play. Since the nearest Gibson/Epiphone dealer is probably.. 3 hours away, and I live on campus and don't have a car, I wont' have the chance to play them back to back for quite a long time.. As for the Gibson, I don't mind the lack of trapezoid inlays, or covered pickups, but I have heard of quality-control issues, and that you are mostly paying for the name. I've also heard that the necks are slightly fatter, and was just wondering if anyone has played the two back to back with this in mind?

I was also wondering how the Schecter would compare to the SG's. I've never played them back to back (the G-400 vs the C1's) though I have played many of the C1's, and really like the feel of them (which is why I chose the Omen as my first electric). I unfortunately don't live near a guitar center or any large music store that sells all of these gutiars.. so I can't exactly play them back to back, though I liked the feel of both the G-400 and the Schecter's I have played, and since I will have leftover money to upgrade the G-400's pickups if I go that route, my main question is how the quality of the three will compare?

If it helps, I play everything from Incubus to Radiohead to Coheed to Zeppelin.. and whatever else sounds good to me at the time, through a Peavey Windsor Head with a custom built (by me ) 2x12 with Celestion Vintage 30's, and various pedals. I also have a Fender Pro Junior that I might have to end up mic'ing and using for cleans, since the Windsor head I just got doesn't seem to cover that

Thank you to anyone who made it through that long reading!
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

Last edited by darthalal at Mar 24, 2008,
I would get the Gibson. It is a versital, all around good guitar. Miles better than the Epi.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I'd get the Epi with EMGs. Then you'll have enough money left over for a second one, or maybe more drugs then you've ever seen in your life. And, Alpine White is sexy.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
I'd get the Epi with EMGs. Then you'll have enough money left over for a second one, or maybe more drugs then you've ever seen in your life. And, Alpine White is sexy.

The Alpine White is sexy... much nicer (imo) than either of the faded colors..

But on the other hand, the white that the C1 Elite comes in is also sexy, but nowhere near as nice as the Transparent Black Cherry flamed maple of the C1 Plus..

Oh decisions..
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

I would get the epi without the emgs
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
I would get the epi without the emgs

Any particular reason, or pickups you would recommend for it?

The stock pickups (especially the neck) tend to muddy up at higher volumes. They're by no means awful, but if I'm spending half as much as I would be on the other guitars, I will have a little extra to play with (.. or put towards the mountain bike I'm also going to be purchasing).
Quote by Dave_Mc

Ahh.. I forgot about the Prophecies. They look like they would be beautiful guitars, I'm just not a huge fan of the master volume/master tone controls, like my old Schecter. And I'll have 0 chances to play one in the next like 6 months.

EDIT: ... You're supposed to be helping me narrow down my choices.. not giving me more haha
Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by darthalal at Mar 24, 2008,
Schecter > Epi > Gibson.

The Gibson Special series SGs are crap. Pure and simple.

The Epi G-400 is actually a tiny bit better in terms of build quality (yes, really) than the Special, though you will need to swap out the pickups, and possibly the bridge, nut and tuners...

The general rule is, the low end cheap Gibsons are all crap, and the Epiphones are okay for the price (slightly better than the cheap Gibsons;cost slightly less), but need heavy modding to get really up to scratch, and that modding will normally end up costing you a couple of hundred at least, so bear that in mind.

The Schecter isn't something I'm a fan of personally, but it's stock quality is much better than either of the Gibson or Epi. If it was my money, I'd buy the Epi and mod it 'till it barely looked like the same guitar, but I think for 99% of people, the C1 is a far better way to go.
Quote by bokuho
Schecter > Epi > Gibson.

The Epi G-400 is actually a tiny bit better in terms of build quality (yes, really) than the Special, though you will need to swap out the pickups, and possibly the bridge, nut and tuners...

My Epi had Grover-tuners, doesn't all Epis have that now? You don't need to swap those out.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by bokuho
Schecter > Epi > Gibson.

The general rule is, the low end cheap Gibsons are all crap, and the Epiphones are okay for the price (slightly better than the cheap Gibsons;cost slightly less), but need heavy modding to get really up to scratch, and that modding will normally end up costing you a couple of hundred at least, so bear that in mind.

The Schecter isn't something I'm a fan of personally, but it's stock quality is much better than either of the Gibson or Epi. If it was my money, I'd buy the Epi and mod it 'till it barely looked like the same guitar, but I think for 99% of people, the C1 is a far better way to go.

Then the Epiphone's aren't really much better than the Gibson's if you need to scrape around with them.

Just get the Gibby. You won't regret it.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
haha im also havin the same problem deciding on SG's.... i have 400$ to work with what should i get?
I have the epi with the emg's and I think it sounds great. It's real comfortable to play. The only thing I don't like is that there's no tremolo but I think an SG would look odd with a whammy bar. Just my opinion. Test out every guitar you think you might like and go with the one you like best, it's all about what you want.
Gear:
Lefty Epi. SG G-400 w/ emg's
Line 6 Spider 3
Dime Crybaby From Hell
Digitech Grunge
I think the Gibson is an all around better guitar, sounds better, plays better, I think it looks better, plus it will hold it's value better. And there's always the "HA HA I'M ROCKIN WITH MY GIBBY, LOOKZ AT UR STUPID CHEAP GUITARZ!"
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

emgs limit your sound, I think. I like how the stock soung thrugh my amp, but I dont know what amp you have.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
emgs limit your sound, I think. I like how the stock soung thrugh my amp, but I dont know what amp you have.

I think I know where you're coming from with that; the G-400 with emgs I played was through my friend's JCM800... and I know it's not the cleanest amp in the world, but I was hard-pressed to get anything that would pass as a clean sound out of the emgs The same is true of my Schecter with Duncans through my own amp... but then again it is a Windsor, haha.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by darthalal
and I know it's not the cleanest amp in the world, but I was hard-pressed to get anything that would pass as a clean sound out of the emgs
Well to be fair, EMGs aren't meant to be used for cleans. They're built entirely for working with hard artificial distortion. Even natural overdrive is 'below' their use.

Quote by HomerSGR
My Epi had Grover-tuners, doesn't all Epis have that now? You don't need to swap those out.
They have Epiphone's cheaper copy, made from an inferior cast and with crapper, softer metal. It's worth changing them.

Quote by anarchy_skater
Then the Epiphone's aren't really much better than the Gibson's if you need to scrape around with them.

Just get the Gibby. You won't regret it.
HE will regret it. I've had those low-end Gibsons myself, and I've regretted every single one of them. Either you go for a cheaper brand like Epi, Tokai, etc, and mod it, or you save up more and get a proper Gibson. Those, you won't regret.

And no. The Epi's are better than the Gibson, because a standard Epi with proper modding costs in total less than a Gibson Special/Studio/VM/Faded series, and plays and sounds a bit better. You're getting more for your money, which is typically what people are looking for when they start considering the low-end Gibsons like that.

You're making the mistake of generalising all things with 'Gibson' on the headstock and all things with 'Epiphone' on the headstock. Don't. Each brand has varying levels of quality between their guitars, and if you're crafty, the cheaper brands can beat out the more expensive one. A friend of mine bought an average Agile about a month ago and spent an extra couple of hundred changing out almost everything except the body. I played it in it's new state three days ago, it sounds and plays better than my un-modded Gibson Les Paul Classic, and in total it's cost him £400 less than my Gibson did. Go figure.
Thanks to everyone who contributed!! ... but on a trip to the music store for a cable I needed, I ended up chatting with the guys who work there, who were remodelling the guitar room, and one of them who I know fairly well told me about a guitar they had just gotten in a trade: a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.. and gave it to me to try out overnight. I've been playing it for the last 6 hours straight, and just can't get enough of it, and here's the best part: $350!!! (they gave me a discount for spending about 2 and a half semesters worth of weekends down there jamming)
Quote by Dave_Mc

If it's $350, jump on it. Schecters are good guitars, although I prefer Gibson. But for that price, go for it.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
If it's $350, jump on it. Schecters are good guitars, although I prefer Gibson. But for that price, go for it.

Yeah I bought it :-D Best impulse purchase ever.
Quote by Dave_Mc

The G400 is a very nice guitar, worth the price especially these days seeing as it's been around for a while etc.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by bokuho
Schecter > Epi > Gibson.

O RLY?!?

As an owner of a Gibson SG Special, and having played a G-400 Side by side with it i can Confidently say you are very wrong. The Gibson Played Better, and Sounded better than the epiphone, and the neck was a lot smoother. i personally dont want to have to rip apart my guitar and instal new parts to make it up to the quality of a guitar i could have gotten anyways. thats why i went with Gibson in the first place

TS, Gibson all the Way.

EDIT: Just ssaw your Update TS, at that Price then that Guitar is Wonderful. hope you enjoy it
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Mar 25, 2008,