Page 1 of 2
i have a carvin (that is amazing) but has a ofr. i need a guitar that doesnt, so for gigs i can grab this axe and alternative tune. i play alot of zeppelin, some hendrix, beatles, roses, love my blues too. not much on the metal side. so mostly rock/classic rock/blues. my budget is around the 800 range (it can strech to 1k max)

~David
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
i was looking for something more with humbuckers
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
A hollowbody would be sweet, don't know what you can get for 1K though. Maybe look at some Epiphones?
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
epiphone les paul, or epiphone sheraton
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
trying to stay away from epiphones. what do u guys think of studio paul or faded sg?
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Save some money, buy this for an unreal $279.00...and splurge on something else!

Agile PS900 Amber Quilt (CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO)

24 frets for creating ultra-high solos!
This incredible guitar features a highly figured Maple Top on a solid Mahogany archtop body with striking Transparent Finishes! (black and wr is mahoganny only no maple top)
There are wide and low dual cutaways along with a contoured top to allow access to the highest frets
Two high quality wax potted humbucker pickups help reduce hum and noise and offer superior performance by giving a thicker fuller sound than single coils
Humbuckers also create a much larger magnetic field, which helps eliminate dead spots and increases the overall power of the pickup
The 3-way pickup selector switch, volume and tone controls are recessed into the body
24 jumbo fret Maple neck with adjustable truss rod and Rosewood fretboard with dot inlays
The angled headstock helps increase the tension of the string on the nut and therefore helps transfer string vibration to the guitar for superior sustain
Stop Bar Tailpiece and set neck also help transfer string vibration to the body for great sound
GROVER tuners with 18-1 ratio for fine tuning
Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8"; neck radius 350mm - 13 3/4"
Neck taper/thickness at the 1st fret: 21 mm; at the 12th fret: 23mm
Overall length 37.5" including strap button; Scale length: 24.7"
Width at the widest point: 12 1/5"
Actual Weight is only 8 lbs.
Attachments:
AgilePRScopy.jpg
Quote by Oblivian
i was looking for something more with humbuckers

Try a Gibson SG with P90s if you can. IMO thats very blues.

Otherwise.. have you considered a hollowbody? You could pretend you're Ted Nugent
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Try a Gibson SG with P90s if you can. IMO thats very blues.

Otherwise.. have you considered a hollowbody? You could pretend you're Ted Nugent

he can pretend, i dont have to though.

OHH! wang dang sweet poontang!
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
lol thanks for staying on topic what about a faded sgt w/ pickup change
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
FRDesign,

I am NOT an Agile Troll. I don't even own one, BUT...I've played a buddy of mine's and it's an amazing guitar. Not an amazing guitar for the money....an amazing guitar period.

You're a "decal-on-the-headstock" shopper. That's okay. One day when you become a real player...it likely won't matter what decal they put on the headstock. You'll eventually be more interested in fit, finish, playability and sound. Until someone is able to shut people up with their playing, they over compensate with telling others what BRAND guitar they own.

I own nine guitars, including a Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, an Ibanez, a Fender Thinline Tele, and several mid to high-end acoustics. My favorite guitar to play?? My cheap Fernandes $179.00 throwaway Strat copy.

I bought it to keep at the office for late-night breaks, and at less than $200.00, I didn't care if it got stolen, or knocked over...or whatever. Funny thing is...it's now my favorite guitar to play. The only mod I've done is thrown a Duncan Hotrails into the bridge. Other than that...fully stock, and I'd match it against ANY Strat, Fender or otherwise.

You can hear what it sounds like by clicking here: Sound Samples

I guess next time you feel like calling someone a troll...you'd be better served to think twice. You recommended a Gibson SG? Yeah...they're cool looking, and great guitars if you don't mind holding the neck up during the whole gig. Let go of it with your left hand and the headstock falls 3 feet. A Fender Hardtail Strat??? I don't even know how to comment on that one. Eric Johnson doesn't use a hardtail, Hendrix didn't use a hardtail, Clapton doesn't use a hardtail, Yngwie doesn't use a hardtail. In fact...who in the world uses a Hardtail Strat??? I can't think of anyone.

The original poster also wants humbuckers, so I guess you meant Hardtail Humbucker Strat?? <smirk> I don't even know if Fender makes those?? And a PRS SE???? LOL....yeah, spend too much money buying a guitar built by Samick because it has the PRS name on it. Those are absolutely the worst built/playing/sounding guitars I've ever tried out.

Troll.

Sorry to the other contributors to this thread. I just can't stand it when someone tosses out a bunch of crap and probably doesn't have a CLUE as to what he's talking about....AND has the audacity to call me a troll. Sheesh!
Attachments:
davestrat.jpg
Last edited by MediaArts1 at Mar 24, 2008,
In fact...who in the world uses a Hardtail Strat??? I can't think of anyone.

robert cray...
Quote by peever
robert cray...

Eric Clapton

Also, he asked with a guitar with no trem, so of course he would want a hard tail
Quote by MediaArts1
FRDesign,

I am NOT an Agile Troll. I don't even own one, BUT...I've played a buddy of mine's and it's an amazing guitar. Not an amazing guitar for the money....an amazing guitar period.

You're a "decal-on-the-headstock" shopper. That's okay. One day when you become a real player...it likely won't matter what decal they put on the headstock. You'll eventually be more interested in fit, finish, playability and sound. Until someone is able to shut people up with their playing, they over compensate with telling others what BRAND guitar they own.

I own nine guitars, including a Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, an Ibanez, a Fender Thinline Tele, and several mid to high-end acoustics. My favorite guitar to play?? My cheap Fernandes $179.00 throwaway Strat copy.

I bought it to keep at the office for late-night breaks, and at less than $200.00, I didn't care if it got stolen, or knocked over...or whatever. Funny thing is...it's now my favorite guitar to play. The only mod I've done is thrown a Duncan Hotrails into the bridge. Other than that...fully stock, and I'd match it against ANY Strat, Fender or otherwise.

I guess next time you feel like calling someone a troll...you'd be better served to think twice. You recommended a Gibson SG? Yeah...they're cool looking, and great guitars if you don't mind holding the neck up during the whole gig. Let go of it with your left hand and the headstock falls 3 feet. A Fender Hardtail Strat??? I don't even know how to comment on that one. Eric Johnson doesn't use a hardtail, Hendrix didn't use a hardtail, Clapton doesn't use a hardtail, Yngwie doesn't use a hardtail. In fact...who in the world uses a Hardtail Strat??? I can't think of anyone.

The original poster also wants humbuckers, so I guess you meant Hardtail Humbucker Strat?? <smirk> I don't even know if Fender makes those?? And a PRS SE???? LOL....yeah, spend too much money buying a guitar built by Samick because it has the PRS name on it. Those are absolutely the worst built/playing/sounding guitars I've ever tried out.

Troll.

Sorry to the other contributors to this thread. I just can't stand it when someone tosses out a bunch of crap and probably doesn't have a CLUE as to what he's talking about....AND has the audacity to call me a troll. Sheesh!

THE INTERNETZ.

SRS BUSINEZ.

Dude, calm down. One guy making an off colour comment doesn't call for you unloading the heavy artillery in order to destroy him.

On topic:

Go and try a few Les Paul Studios out, TS. Some are real lemons, but you can find the odd gem among them which'll really be worth your money.

You could also have a look at Japanese Gibson copies, like Edwards or Burny etc.

There's plenty out there that can do what you want, so try all you can
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Last edited by Inspired_by_Vai at Mar 24, 2008,
+1 to the guy who dropped the Edwards. Beautiful guitars.

Srsly dude, go with a semi hollow or full hollow. The Gretsch Electromatic is awesome. Also, try the Ibanez Artcore series. And even though you want to stay away from epi's, try a Sheraton II. I have one and I love it.

+1 to the dude who said to get P-90's.
Quote by Oblivian
trying to stay away from epiphones. what do u guys think of studio paul or faded sg?

Studio and Faded models are some of the worst you can buy. They're worse than Epis.

Also, when it comes to archtops - which may suit you well - Epiphone are considered superior to Gibson. In fact in many countries, Epiphone's top archtops cost more than Gibsons, so there you go.

.... That said, my picks for your budget would be:

- Gibson SG standard. Might have to buy it used though (I'm amazed at how much these cost in America. Over here in the UK, most of our guitars cost more than they do in the States, but SGs for whatever reason are actually cheaper here than in America. Maybe you could shop around and get a good deal, possibly import from another country).
- Used Elitist series or new high-end production Epiphone archtop, use the spare couple of hundred to upgrade bridge, nut, pickups if it's a production (a used Elitist shouldn't need these upgrades at all, but of course being used you might need to have it set up again and cleaned up a bit).

After that, there's not much else. I think to expand your options, you should save up another couple of hundred, have a little over a thousand to spend. Then you'd have many more options.
Quote by bokuho
Studio and Faded models are some of the worst you can buy. They're worse than Epis.

*facepalm*

I'm sorry dude, but they're not. SOME are. Have you ever played a decent Studio or Faded outside of a store? You know, somewhere where a million kids havn't already used it.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by bokuho

Also, when it comes to archtops - which may suit you well - Epiphone are considered superior to Gibson. In fact in many countries, Epiphone's top archtops cost more than Gibsons, so there you go.

- Used Elitist series or new high-end production Epiphone archtop, use the spare couple of hundred to upgrade bridge, nut, pickups if it's a production (a used Elitist shouldn't need these upgrades at all, but of course being used you might need to have it set up again and cleaned up a bit).

Thank you for that. It made my evening... or maybe last 5 minutes.
Quote by MediaArts1
FRDesign,

Troll.

Wow... You sound like a troll. If you failed to READ the title, he asked for no tremelo bar. And PRS are quality guitars.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by GD_GC
A hollowbody would be sweet, don't know what you can get for 1K though. Maybe look at some Epiphones?

Ibanez makes some extremely nice hollowbodies. Look at some of the higher end AS gutiars.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
(Orville / Edwards / Tokai / MIJ Epiphone) Les Paul to fit into u're budget and still getting good quality!
i was gunna recommend an artcore like i have, but damn that epi posted up a little bit is sexy, so yah, butt arcores are nice as long as you care for them.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I've played the Ibanez Artcore semi-hollows like the AS73, AS83, and I think my ES-135 is a far nicer guitar. It's also nicer than the Epiphone Dot, or at least those that I've played.

I know that Ibanez make higher spec Artcores these days but I have no experience with them.
=/ i was looking for a solid body (im not a logo shoper, i chose carvin over anything for my last guitar) and to tell you guys the truth i might just be getting another, i looked at many gibsons and the bad quality of most i looked at (real life) really poped out and slapped me in the face.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Maybe a Schecter C-1 Classic? Perhaps a Hardtail HSS Strat if you can find one.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
that c1 classic is quite a nice looking guitar. ima going to the store to check out some fenders
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Quote by MediaArts1

Ok, you get mad at me because of brand names, while you say not to get a Hardtail strat because "no famousez peoplez PLAY TEM, OMG ARTISTS ENDORESMENTS"

Sorry, but whos the n00b.
Epiphone Elitist? Good guitars there, LP with as good quality as a gibby LP supreme, according to Bohuko(or whatever his name is), and are about $1k.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
peever,

I stand corrected. You're right, Robert Cray DOES play a hardtail Strat. I guess I didn't think of him because...well...I don't care for his playing. His albums are mostly all vocals, with riffs here and there. He seems like such an average player to me. I actually know tons of unknown players in cover bands who will play circles around him (in my opinion). But yes, you were right about him using a hardtail Strat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tommy,

Not quite right...but close.

"Eric Clapton, though he had played Fender Telecasters and Jazzmasters in his brief career with The Yardbirds, would attain "guitar god" status while playing models such as the Gibson Les Paul, Firebird, ES-335 and SG whilst a member of Cream. However, in 1970, for his landmark Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs with a new band, Derek and the Dominos, Clapton switched to a tobacco sunburst Stratocaster from 1956, nicknamed "Brownie". This was in part due to the influence of his former Blind Faith bandmate Steve Winwood. He bought several Strats for $100.00 each. He later assembled the best parts of three mid-'50s Strats to create his favorite guitar, the famous "Blackie", a black Stratocaster which he played for many years. Both guitars would later sell for record prices at auction. When Blackie finally wore out, Eric and the Fender Custom Shop began to work on a signature model based on the artist's original guitar. The guitar had an interesting feature: a vintage-style synchronized tremolo bridge blocked off to tremolo arms. This idea came about as Eric shunned the tone of hardtail Stratocasters but never used the whammy bar."

He used a blocked standard trem system because he shunned the tone of hardtails. That's way different than him PLAYING a hardtail. I don't think he ever even OWNED a hardtail.

Also...you'll notice that the Agile I posted does NOT have a tremolo...so yes, I DID read the guy's post. Actually, it sounded to me from his original text in the post that he simply wanted a guitar to use at gigs whenever he needed alternate tunings....and his Carvin had an original Floyd Rose, which can't easily handle that kind of thing. A standard tremolo system CAN handle alternate tunings, so a tremolo system didn't seem like a deal breaker, as long as it could handle the tuning situation. However, once again...I didn't recommend a guitar WITH a tremolo. I simply asked a question about who in the world uses a hardtail Strat...and the answer was corrected above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspired by Vai

You're right. I over-reacted.

I posted what I truly thought would be a reasonable solution to the original poster's situation. I've played the Agile...and as much as the original poster will hate to hear this, it played just as well as ANY Carvin I've played. I live not far from Carvin's Escondido factory, and have visited their showroom about 8 times. I've played many Carvins and they're very nice. Slightly pricey for what you get ($1,400 range for their better models.)

I consider myself an accomplished player. I only bring that up because I have a pretty good idea as to what a guitar should and should not do. The Agile holds its own in all areas...fit, finish, playability and sound. I don't care if it's made in Korea...and I don't care if it says Agile on the headstock. It's a better guitar than my Fernandes Strat...and I LOVE that little beater guitar. I think the original poster would be VERY surprised if he bought the Agile...but it would be hard to admit that a $279.00 guitar made in Korea is just as good as his $1,400 guitar made in Escondido.

In any case...I certainly did nothing deserving of being called a troll.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iSlash,

Re-read my response to Tommy above regarding the tremolo issue. Also, I am NOT saying that PRS's are bad guitars. They're not. What I AM saying is that the PRS-SE which was PRS's first and hopefully last attempt at offering a cheap overseas built guitar was a piece of junk (they've since discontinued the model, probably as a result of people wondering why a great guitar company would offer such an inferior guitar with their name on it).

LOL...you mentioned that I sound like a troll. I'm not, but thanks for your input. I also see that you're from Hong Kong....so I completely understand the error, but it's TREMOLO, not tremelo.

Have a nice day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oblivian,

I was not talking to you when I made the "logo shopper" comment. That was to the guy who called me a troll for posting the Agile. In any case...I wouldn't blame you for buying another Carvin. They're great. Several friends of mine own them....and I always take another look at them whenever I get Carvin's newest catalog in the mail. However...they're $1,000 more than the Agile...and if you take a very close look at the Agile (too bad you can't play one in person)...you'd likely get one instead of the Carvin, and use the extra thousand bucks to upgrade your amp or whatever. Rondo Music will give you 30 days to decide if you like the guitar (but you'll have to pay the shipping cost if want to return it.)

Just a thought....and sorry for the misunderstanding that I was calling YOU a logo shopper. I wasn't.

In any case....good luck with whatever you decide on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FR Design,

I didn't get mad at you for mentioning brandnames at all. Read the f-ing post! I simply criticized your recommendations, that's all. You called ME a troll for no good reason, remember?? A kid calling an experienced player a troll seemed unnecessary.

You might simply need to get your Zoloft prescription adjusted or refilled bro. Good luck with that. Oh...and if I can offer any playing tips, just ask.

Dave
Quote by MediaArts1
FRDesign,

Troll.

are you by chance in greenday?
^roflol.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yea mediaarts, i would really like to at least play an agile to see, kind of sucks that i cant tho =/
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Page 1 of 2