ok people please tell me if you believe that the following list is in order of music genres that most relate to the ones around it, if not please give suggestions on ways to improve to order

punk
hardcore
metal
classical
jazz/swing
blues
folk/country
bluegrass
traditional
African American
reggae
ska
funk
disco
rap
techno

the ones at the bottom of the list are the ones i am not to sure about from reggae down
from one of my posts on the page
PLEASE READ FIRST
"like i said before it isn't a complete standard for musical relations, in simple terms what i am doing is creating a chart of all the most likely influences on who plays the rock genre and what i am doing with this information would take forever to explain so please just tell me how it looks."
Last edited by RedMoonMan at Mar 24, 2008,
I don't think you can have a linear order for music genres, take a look at the scene from school of rock where jack black is at the board drawing it out.
Quote by curtis15
I don't think you can have a linear order for music genres, take a look at the scene from school of rock where jack black is at the board drawing it out.

it is really just a simple relation of which ones are most closely related musically because i am trying to make a point to someone.
never going to happen
go on wikipedia and type in music genres
theres to many
LTD M-100FM
THE BEEST!
like i said before it isn't a complete standard for musical relations, in simple terms what i am doing is creating a chart of all the most likely influences on who plays the rock genre and what i am doing with this information would take forever to explain so please just tell me how it looks.
awesome

im buying a schecter this weekend so we have something in common

schecters
LTD M-100FM
THE BEEST!
I don't really understand. Are you going to do this in chronological order or something?

If you are, remember that ska came before reggae.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
what if i went

classical
folk
bluegrass
blues
jazz
African America

or if i went classical
metal
hardcore
punk
folk
bluegrass
blues
jazz
african american

i read that classical music often looked at folk music for inspiration and such

Quote by IlikeTheSKA
I don't really understand. Are you going to do this in chronological order or something?

not in chronological order, thanks anyways
Last edited by RedMoonMan at Mar 24, 2008,
Why is rap even on there? =/
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Last edited by Kai07 at Mar 24, 2008,
Let me tell you now, this will not work. Many genres can take influences from multiple genres. Metal, for example, can have traits of blues, classical, hardcore, rap and techno, and that's only counting stuff I have personally heard! Punk is often fused with other genres as well, and I'm sure techno and rap would be too.

Every genre can be as closely related to another genre as the artist wants it to be.
Quote by IlikeTheSKA

Ska came before reggae, really?
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by Hcmanu
So there you have it kids, You're not eating easter eggs, you're eating the parastic-like insides of rabbits. Happy Easter, I've got a corpse to rape!
Where did the term 'ska' come from anyway?

I'm tempted to think it has something to do with skateboarding... Lots of skaters listen to ska.
Generally,I agree with most things on the list but as someone else said,a genre can be influenced by many other genres like funk metal,folk metal, rapcore etc.
Please change it so that hardcore never touches metal.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Ahem.

using your logic of punk first

Punk
Hardcore
Metal
Rock n Roll
Blues
etc etc.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by RedMoonMan

i read that classical music often looked at folk music for inspiration and such

It was really only during the mid Romantic era and onward that composers started to incorporate ethnic musical vernaculars in their classical works. Nationalism and the interest in exoticism surfaced around the mid 1800s and only then did the composers start using folk songs and native music cultures in classical music. But eras before this (Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, early Romantic) did not suggest any folk inspirations.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
classical and jazz can't be close to eachother.

Even though the cultures are polarized, jazz based its fundamental use of theory on European classical music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana