I'm looking for a good punk sound, I know I have to turn the treble up high, the bass low and the low mids even lower (according to the search button) but what about gain, high mids and compression
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
it depends on the song and what the other guitar is doing really.
i don't see why anyone would want to cut the lows from their bass, then it won't cut through the mix
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Last edited by druz15_UG at Mar 24, 2008,
You should leave the bass flat, boost treble and some high mids, and maybe slightly cut the low mids because they just muddy up the tone.

Quote by druz15_UG
it depends on the song and what the other guitar is doing really.
i don't see why anyone would want to cut the lows from their bass, then it won't cut through the mix

If you just boost the lows, the kick drum is going to bury your low notes. If not, you'll just have no definition to your playing, which may be okay for dub or something, but punk is all about that midranged clank.
i play punk and i boost the low mids a bit of treble and sometimes a bit of bass if needed so my EQ goes something like this

Lows 0 OR 1
Low mids 3 OR 5
High mids 1 OR 0
Highs 1 OR 2

it gets a very punchy tone with most amps but ir all about personal preference
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
hmm....
precision bass (pick) = ultimate punk tone

id say boost yer lows and treble
treble more and cut the mids and use a pick

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Arg, stuff like this makes me laugh. Besides the irking "low-mid/hi-mid" stuff, I've found that many, if not most punk bassists use a 'frowny face EQ' - cut at the bottom and top, cranked in the middle. Mark Hoppus, for example, uses that.

Folks, just because something isn't rumbly doesn't mean it's trebly.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Arg, stuff like this makes me laugh. Besides the irking "low-mid/hi-mid" stuff, I've found that many, if not most punk bassists use a 'frowny face EQ' - cut at the bottom and top, cranked in the middle. Mark Hoppus, for example, uses that.

Folks, just because something isn't rumbly doesn't mean it's trebly.

While your point is correct, I wouldn't us Mark Hoppus as an example of a punk bassist.

Good examples of punk bassists are Richard Hell (Television), Matt Freeman (Rancid/Operation Ivy), and Mike Watt (Minutemen).
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Last edited by RizzoWashburn at Mar 24, 2008,
mike dirnt!!!

but he doesnt use that eq
his is like the normal happy face

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

^Perfect! 2 totally opposite EQing positions! I think it's safe to infer that there are all sorts of conflicting EQ settings for such a broad genre! EXPERIMENT!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
lmfao what he said listen to the man he is smart

its all preference like EVERYTHING in music

I found my tone ^^

bass 3/4
low mid 1/4
high mid 2/4 - 3/4
treble full

gain 3/4
compresor 3/4
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.