So, solid state sounds better at low volume than a tubes amp at the same low volume.

Why then, does the tubes amp surpass the solid state at higher volumes?

( please no responses such as "cuz tubez roxz" or "solid state is teh suckxors" etc.)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h

YOU JUST GOT TORCHED, BITCH!
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Last edited by sg622 at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by rwalby9
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149

Read that sticky man, the third post should explain all of that.

+12
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quick run down: Tubes dont sound bad at low volumes, thats just a myth. Usually a tube amp will still sound better at low volume than a solid state amp of same quality. Tubes just sound even better at higher volumes because of the way the power tubes react when a bigger signal is being pushed through them.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
Quick run down: Tubes dont sound bad at low volumes, thats just a myth. Usually a tube amp will still sound better at low volume than a solid state amp of same quality. Tubes just sound even better at higher volumes because of the way the power tubes react when a bigger signal is being pushed through them.

bull.

my vox da5 sounds better at really low volumes (just under conversation volume) than my tube fender. the fender sounds 'held back'.
Its all dependant on your amp.

My laney sounds great clean on low volumes, on the drive channel not so much, but crank it, it sings.

It's all to do with clipping, well sort of. Anyway, SS clipping = ew broken glass, valve clipping = smooth compressed yummy goodness.

You overdrive the power section of the amp when you turn it up, when you start putting more power into valves it sounds alot more musically pleasing than when you overdrive transistors...
^Couldn't have said it better. Valves still sound good at low volumes, they just sound even better when you turn them up and get warm, compressed, symmetrical clipping as opposed to a solid-state's harsh square wave nastyness.

If you want lots of grit at low levels then you're going to need to introduce more preamp gain, which is never going to sound as good as poweramp overdrive. Solid-states only have this preamp gain available which is why they can do good cleans (Roland JC for example), but tend to represent overdrive as a fizzy mess.