Ok, basically I don't know a lot about effects pedals. I have a basic understanding of the different types and what they do but I was wondering what kind and brand of effects pedal I should invest in. I'm mainly into classic rock, punk, metal, a bitta everything. Hendrix, Metallica, Green Day etc. Any ideas?
Last edited by hendrixftw at Mar 24, 2008,
id say stay away from digitech. a good brand to me is boss. iv never had one of there pedals dissapoint me. mxr is another good brand.
the ds-1 is a great pedal. it can range from a very mild over drive. to very crungy distortion. if you play mainly metal i wouldent recomend it. as that it dosent have that much gain. you would have to scoop out your mids on your amp therefor makeing you sound like **** lol
digitech make SOME good pedals (grunge and bad monkey) but boss are great.
DS-1 is a great wee pedal which should do you for greenday and metallica and if you lower the gain should sound alright for hendrix
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
not to bust your balls but the grunge was originaly a D.O.D product. and the bad monkey is just a rip off of a tube screamer. same with the digitech death metal (dod), blues driver (boss), hot head(boss).
^^^
i know all of this, but it doesn't make the current products necessarily BAD, they are still analogue OD pedals that sound good, it doesn't matter what they are a ripoff of
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
id say stay away from digitech. a good brand to me is boss. iv never had one of there pedals dissapoint me. mxr is another good brand.

actually digitech has SOME good pedals. boss also has SOME good pedals also but they are not that great. the ds-1 is VERY fizzy sounding unless you get it modded but it still isnt that great.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
actually digitech has SOME good pedals. boss also has SOME good pedals also but they are not that great. the ds-1 is VERY fizzy sounding unless you get it modded but it still isnt that great.

+1... although its good if thats what you want. The DS-2 imo is a better pedal as it sounds very much like the old japanese DS-1 pedals (Compared with Kurt Cobain's Bleach/Nevermind era tone, when comparing recent boss pedals, the DS-2 is closer to that tone), whereas the newer DS-1s have a very weak tone.

EDIT: also, Digitech aren't bad even though most of their stuff is a ripoff of boss. Electro Harmonix make some of the best pedals out there IMO, and i know it seems to be some kind of taboo on this forum but i'd recommend you check out some of the higher-end danelectro pedals.

Boss certainly are a very popular brand, and a lot of their stuff is pretty good, though definitely not the best. Their pedals have a very transparent sound to them, so they will sound like crap through crap gear, but sound great through decent gear.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by druz15_UG
^^^
i know all of this, but it doesn't make the current products necessarily BAD, they are still analogue OD pedals that sound good, it doesn't matter what they are a ripoff of

unless im wrong ( could be )

i though all digitech pedals were digital hence DIGI-tech
Quote by GuitarFreak1387

You are wrong, but that's OK. Most of their pedals are digital. But some are analogue.
Quote by GuitarFreak1387

A lot of their boss-resembling pedals such as the bad monkey are analogue.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I know the bad monkey is 100% analogue, and a good pedal for the money at that.

If youre looking into to some decent pedals worth the money, dont need modding to sound good, look into Electro-Harmonix, a few marshall pedals are decent for the money and MXR, most Boss gear ive found to be pretty damn digital sounding, and the DS1 is the worst damn distortion ive heard that didnt come from a MG. Ive yet to find any boss pedals id actually buy considering the rest of the market does better stuff for cheaper...

They do have some nice pedals; for example the DD and Phaser, however theyre both pretty overpriced. Especially the DD6, (Yeah cool, reverse delay, once you actually get it you realise how useless it is..)

http://www.ehx.com
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/p_and_e_detail&cat=16
http://www.marshallamps.com/product_range.asp?productRangeId=18
Last edited by beckyjc at Mar 24, 2008,
Most Boss stuff isn't really good. I have a DS-2, which I use to boost my Fuzz.

Look into EHX, Catalinbread, yano, decent stuff. Maybe look into a Digitech Bad Monkey or something as an OD for more gain.

First of all, what amp do you own?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild