Well here's the deal:

In 1,5 year I will be going to a university and I will be living on my own in a room ()
I realise that it's practically impossible to bring my 50 watt 2x12 tube amp with me because it's:
1) way too big
2) way too heavy for me to lug around or even to get down the stairs on my own
3) probably way too loud for such a small room, considering I will be having neighbours and might be living together with my girlfriend.

I could just take my 15 watt 1x8 practice amp with me.
However: I will most likely be gigging over there and that's something my neat little Vox just can't properly do.
That's why I want to buy a second rig that I will be using when I'm there, I can spend about 400-500 euros. I'm leaning towards a solid state amp because they're much lighter and can be played less loud than a tube amp. Because I don't feel like dragging along a pedalboard either I'm pretty much set on an amp modeler.

I first had my mind set on the Line6 Flextone III 112 with an FBV Shortboard but I found that to be too expensive and the effects are still quite limited.
Now I'm thinking of buying a second hand Boss GT8 because it's cheaper and has more possibilities as far as effects go than either the PODxt Live or the Vox Tonelab SE.
I can get it for about 250-300 euros so let's say that'll leave me with about 200 euros to spend on a second hand amp for gigging. I want that amp to be at least 50 watts but preferably more. A 1x12 combo would be more convenient than a 2x12 I think. I only want a good clean channel because I'll be using the GT8's distortion and I'd like the amp to have some sort of FX Loop so I can put the GT8's delays and reverbs after the pre amp.

Amps I've had in mind so far are
-Fender Frontman 65R (Frontman 210R if it's light enough? The 212R is within my budget as well but it's probably too large)
-Peavey Bandit 112
-Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
-Hughes & Kettner Edition Silver (50 watts)

I'd like to hear your opinion on both the amps and the modelers. If you've got any other suggestions or setups then please tell me
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
well i am moving this year and you should know that not everyone loves guitar so id recomend a headphone amp, im getting a pocket pod, you wont want to gig with any of those amps anyway, id recomend getting a headphone amp and trying to take a tube combo down purely for gigging
Quote by stephen_rettie
well i am moving this year and you should know that not everyone loves guitar so id recomend a headphone amp, im getting a pocket pod, you wont want to gig with any of those amps anyway, id recomend getting a headphone amp and trying to take a tube combo down purely for gigging

Well I guess I'll mostly be playing through the GT8 with headphones connected when I'm at home.
The problem with a tube amp is is that it's just too bloody heavy (mind you, I don't have a car) and too expensive. Also buying a load of seperate stompboxes is too expensive and lugging a pedalboard around is quite troublesome too. Ideally I'd have it all built into my amp, that way I only need to carry my amp and my guitar to a gig but most amps with built-in modelers don't offer a lot of options as far as effects go.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Blackheart Handsome Devil? 1X12 Combo, 15 watts tube. Can't be that heavy. I can handle carrying my VC15 around.
Quote by thellamaking
Blackheart Handsome Devil? 1X12 Combo, 15 watts tube. Can't be that heavy. I can handle carrying my VC15 around.

Looks pretty neat
How is it's clean headroom? Because when I use that GT8 I need my amp to be as clean as a whistle..
It's a bit expensive as well (329 euros new) but that might be manageable

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
the GT-8s should be getting cheaper with the GT-10 coming out
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Lauke_101
Well here's the deal:

In 1,5 year I will be going to a university and I will be living on my own in a room ()
I realise that it's practically impossible to bring my 50 watt 2x12 tube amp with me because it's:
1) way too big
2) way too heavy for me to lug around or even to get down the stairs on my own
3) probably way too loud for such a small room, considering I will be having neighbours and might be living together with my girlfriend.

I could just take my 15 watt 1x8 practice amp with me.
However: I will most likely be gigging over there and that's something my neat little Vox just can't properly do.
That's why I want to buy a second rig that I will be using when I'm there, I can spend about 400-500 euros. I'm leaning towards a solid state amp because they're much lighter and can be played less loud than a tube amp. Because I don't feel like dragging along a pedalboard either I'm pretty much set on an amp modeler.

I first had my mind set on the Line6 Flextone III 112 with an FBV Shortboard but I found that to be too expensive and the effects are still quite limited.
Now I'm thinking of buying a second hand Boss GT8 because it's cheaper and has more possibilities as far as effects go than either the PODxt Live or the Vox Tonelab SE.
I can get it for about 250-300 euros so let's say that'll leave me with about 200 euros to spend on a second hand amp for gigging. I want that amp to be at least 50 watts but preferably more. A 1x12 combo would be more convenient than a 2x12 I think. I only want a good clean channel because I'll be using the GT8's distortion and I'd like the amp to have some sort of FX Loop so I can put the GT8's delays and reverbs after the pre amp.

Amps I've had in mind so far are
-Fender Frontman 65R (Frontman 210R if it's light enough? The 212R is within my budget as well but it's probably too large)
-Peavey Bandit 112
-Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
-Hughes & Kettner Edition Silver (50 watts)

I'd like to hear your opinion on both the amps and the modelers. If you've got any other suggestions or setups then please tell me

dude thats a big exoense for a pupil. i have 30 pupils a week and wouldnt go to that expense. you should get a dual input fx pedal and just run that through a pa for gigs..or you can even get a 2 in one adapter and run both through a combo.

BTW the Zoom g9 is the best sounding pedal by a mile under your tc electronics etc (however its not dual input)
How about the Flextone used?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by EvyDefMetal
dude thats a big exoense for a pupil. i have 30 pupils a week and wouldnt go to that expense. you should get a dual input fx pedal and just run that through a pa for gigs..or you can even get a 2 in one adapter and run both through a combo.

BTW the Zoom g9 is the best sounding pedal by a mile under your tc electronics etc (however its not dual input)

What do you mean exactly with the input stuff because I don't really get your point..?
I want to have an amp of my own to run my fx pedal through so I can do unmiced/unPA'd bar gigs.

I will try out the Zoom G9.2tt though, thank you for mentioning it

EDIT:
Quote by Fama
How about the Flextone used?

Too expensive.. about 450 for the amp but then I still need the FBV Shortboard.. And I'm not that keen on the Flextone because of the limited possibilities of the effects.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Lauke_101 at Mar 24, 2008,
ba-da-bump -tshh

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
A Peavy Bandit with a GT8 would be ace. The Bandit's clean is actually pretty good. I know this dude who uses a Squier Strat, a Digitech RP something and the Bandit, and goddamn, he makes me second guess all the money I've spent on the gear and the choices I've made for the future.
Quote by thellamaking

Its going to be that heavy!

The Blackheart little giant stack is 50 lbs, and combo is around there too!! Plus, its only 5 watts!!
The Handsome will most likely be heavier
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
^well i am carrying the V16 which is 40 lbs. So i guess it isn't that much of a difference
So if you can then go for it! But if weight is a matter, then Handsome will most likely be 50+ lbs
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
^opps just got the manual and reread, and its 38 lbs

EDIT: you are probably riff, for you to think its 34 lbs
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by Lauke_101

EDIT:

Too expensive.. about 450 for the amp but then I still need the FBV Shortboard.. And I'm not that keen on the Flextone because of the limited possibilities of the effects.

Ahh, too bad. They go for about 400euros (often WITH a shortboard) around here, and everything is a lot more expensive in Finland than in US when it comes to amps.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
im in the same boat im probably just going to get a whole bunch of rack gear.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Honestly, I'd just get the GT-8 and hook it up to the PA when you play a gig, or just rent an amp from somewhere when you have a gig. Way more cost effective.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
A'ight I'll be getting the GT8 as soon as I have the money for it so I can play around with it while I'm still at home. I will be saving up for an amp afterwards but I won't buy it immediately, I'll see if I can hook it up to PAs first and then I'll see again.

If I decide I want an amp it'll probably become a Peavey Bandit then, despite they're butt-ugly

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
It depends if your room mates don't mind you playing loud, I use my Blackheart at between quarter and half volume and nobody's complained yet, which is good.

Anyway, my point is that you can use a valve amp in your room at uni, just don't get one that needs to be really loud in order to sound good.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I probably won't have any roommates
The only possible roommate would be my girlfriend so a bit of volume will be okay I guess
Anyways, my point with tube amps is that one with sufficient clean headroom is too expensive and probably too heavy to get down the stairs or walk to the gig with on my own.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well what sound do you want? Coz I'm taking my Blues Jr back to uni with me, I miss the beautiful cleans too much, and that's a 15watt valve amp.

No roommates? Why not? That's what helps makes uni really fun.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well over here the uni's dont have dorms whatsoever, we are all supposed to fend for ourselves
Well since I'll be using a modeler/multi-effect I want a loud, clean amp with preferably not that much coloration of the tone, but I'm mostly looking for original sounds anyways so a bit of color from the amp won't hurt that much

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣