hi all ,i have been messin with a guitar i bought at crimbo and it's giving me all sorts of headaches anyhow.I was looking at the neck after dropping my action as i am getting buzz on the upper frets and noticed that the neck is goin into the body at a sloping angle,it just doesnt look right to me.can any experienced guitarist tell me if the neck is joining the body correctly?if it is can anyone tell me are the frets needing ground down?
Attachments:
DSCF0030.jpg
DSCF0033.jpg
cant really see clearly but that looks like a normal angled neck. if so, there's nothing wrong with it.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Allycuk
hi all ,i have been messin with a guitar i bought at crimbo and it's giving me all sorts of headaches anyhow.I was looking at the neck after dropping my action as i am getting buzz on the upper frets and noticed that the neck is goin into the body at a sloping angle,it just doesnt look right to me.can any experienced guitarist tell me if the neck is joining the body correctly?if it is can anyone tell me are the frets needing ground down?
First, the pics are completely useless. They're too out of focus to see anything useful.

Second, dropping the action (lowering the bridge) makes fret buzz worse.

If I had to guess, your neck probably has a severe bow. Get a long metal straightedge and lay it on the fretboard from the first fret to the last. There should be a very slight bow in the neck, causing a gap between the straightedge and the the frets halfway between, say around the 8th fret. This gap should be about half the thickness of your low E string. Much more than that, and it's likely somebody lowered the action to make it playable, instead of adjusting the truss rod.

When that happens, you get fret buzz when you play between the middle and uppermost frets, because that part of the neck where it's attached to the body stays straighter.

Another possibility is that the neck has back-bow. You'll be able to tell this, if the straightedge won't touch the first and last frets at the same time. The middle frets will be too high, and the straightedge will rock, tipped toward the first fret or the last fret.

The result will be when you play around the 5th and 6th frets, the string will buzz against the next fret past that.

A good straightedge is your best tool to determine the status of your neck. Don't even THINK about trying to level your frets by grinding until you fully understand what you are doing. You'll make a mess that will be costly to repair.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Don't even THINK about trying to level your frets by grinding until you fully understand what you are doing.

....and that means more than just reading a few articles on Project Guitar, believe me. As SYK rightly said you can sort out most minor setup problems with a straightedge and a bit of patience. If it's a cheap old guitar, feel free to experiment and you'll learn a lot that way. If it's your main guitar, tread carefully and don't just adjust stuff for the sake of it. A guitar is a complex system; everything you adjust will have an effect on everything else.

If you can provide high-resolution photos I'm sure people here will attempt to help further though there's not much that can be done - fret wear can be spotted on a picture, but it'd have to be taken at high quality with a macro lens. Neck angle is something you can only judge from playing an instrument.
Using the post above as a guide you should be able to reduce most minor problems though, best of luck.
cheers all,I have decided just to take it to a techie.I just can't seem to set up a guitar if i adjust something,it throws something else out(i'm hopeless) I was just hoping to save on spending the money by doing it myself! both my guitars are unplayable at the moment and it's torture thanks all for the info though.I'll need to learn how to do a set-up myself at some point.
Quote by Allycuk
cheers all,I have decided just to take it to a techie.I just can't seem to set up a guitar if i adjust something,it throws something else out(i'm hopeless) I was just hoping to save on spending the money by doing it myself! both my guitars are unplayable at the moment and it's torture thanks all for the info though.I'll need to learn how to do a set-up myself at some point.
Maybe you can talk your tech into showing you how to do some of the setup? Offer to pay him for doing the set-up, and agree to spend some time sweeping out his shop, if he shows you how to do some of the adjustments?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.