hey UG,
are stainless steel frets rare to come by.. and do nickel/silver (regular) frets last a while?
They'll last for a good amount of time, but they need constant re-dressing and stuff like that.

I love my stainless frets. I've had them on my Iceman for 2 years, and they don't look any different from the day I had them installed.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
^ wow thats awesome... If only guitar companies put that amount of time, money and effort in to making stainless steel frets standard
Tom Andersons come stock with stainless.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Parker guitars also come with stainless steel as standard, but maybe only on the higher end models. When I need my Strat refretted I'll probably try and get some stainless steel ones to put in.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Probably, I'll see about ordering the fretwire online and seeing if I can have them put in/do it myself. Hopefully the former.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by striker327
^ wow thats awesome... If only guitar companies put that amount of time, money and effort in to making stainless steel frets standard

It really is. I've heard from people who've had them for 10+ years, with no maintenance needed.

I play really hard, so for frets to stand up to my kind of abuse for 2 years is just unheard of. They're awesome.
Now it's 1984
It's definitely a personal choice - I know of several prominent luthiers who abhor stainless steel frets. Unless you've got a solid reason not to, it's best to stick with nickel steel. However as people have stated some top-notch companies use them (Anderson, Parker etc), so there's no reason you can't try them out and see what you think. The whole thing about them taking longer to wear down is a little dubious, it varies wildly from player to player.
I have never known a luthier to say anything bad about stainless frets. They go in the same way any others do. They probally have a hard time on the sell thats why. Never have had to have a fret job on any of the stainless stuff I own, And thats going on eleven years.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I took my mexi and had jumbo stainless put in. It ran about two bills but man it sure plays nice.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
ah ic.. I think i must be worring a bit to much.. normal frets probably do fine.. its gotta be better than my mexican frets they are soft as
Some standard fret wire is softer than others. The stuff used in asia is the softest. My MIA 83 strat took me 15 years to tear up the fret wires. My chinese epi took a few months. All of mine have stainless now. But not all people who do frets will mess with it as it. Being harder it takes more work to file and polish. I know warmoth wont do stainless on a bound fret board. And it was definatly not any fun to do on my epi with binding. If you dont tear up regular frets real fast then wouldnt worry about it to much right now.
Carvin, you could add stainless frets, or buy a neck straight from them i think.
Wanna know why some luthiers bitch about stainless frets?

1.) Stainless frets destroy tools

2.) They lose a good chunk of money on fret work (re-dressing, re-fretting, levelling, etc.)

Like some have said, if you play soft, you really have no need for them. But if you're like me (play super heavy, thick guage strings, etc.), stainless wire is probably not a bad idea.
Now it's 1984