Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,
So Im buying a new amp this Thursday after saving up some money and using my months pay which I get this Wednesday. I need some help, to give me an idea of what I should go for because I havent a clue.

I've been playing for about 4 years but ive been using a ****ty Roland Cube 15 since day one. This has been okay for bedroom practise and getting better etc... but im starting a band and want to gig so I need a good quality (and loud) amp. And I would really appreciate some help.

I mostly play blues, rock and modern indie... A few examples would be Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Beatles, Kings of Leon, Queens of the Stone Age and The Strokes.

Oh yeah, I'll have about £250 which is apparently about $500.

Thanks for any help.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
I'd say a used Peavey Classic 30. You might need a big muff or something to get QOTSA- esque distortion, but it should handle everything else pretty easily.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I'd say a used Peavey Classic 30. You might need a big muff or something to get QOTSA- esque distortion, but it should handle everything else pretty easily.

+1
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
What about the amps loudness? Does the wattage have anything to with it?

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Peavey Classic 30 FTW.

^Not quite sure what you're asking, but yes, classic 30's are loud.
I guess the wattage has somewhat to do with loudness, yes.

30 watt tube is louder than 30 watts solidstate.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by screwup30
What about the amps loudness? Does the wattage have anything to with it?

Yep. 30 watts tube is more than enough to play small- to medium sized gigs without being mic'ed. Just to give you an idea, I just played a gig at my school's auditorium (about 700- 1000 seats) with my 30 watt amp. I didn't have to take the master volume past about 4.5.
Sounds good, I'll start checking the Peavey amp out.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Peavey's are overpriced in the UK, what you need to do is check out some Laney products. You could afford their 15W amps new, and you're close to the VC30 112, which is essentially the UK answer to the Classic 30. Maybe a little better.

If you're looking used, you should be able to find yourself a nice Laney with cash to spare.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
My current amp is a 15W and id rather make a step up. Why do you think the VC30 112 is better than the classic 30? I could probably afford it at a push.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30
My current amp is a 15W and id rather make a step up. Why do you think the VC30 112 is better than the classic 30? I could probably afford it at a push.

The natural harmonics the valves push into your signal will make the result sound tremendous. You don't need to step up on wattage.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
^I don't think Slats is saying the VC30 is better, it's just a better deal in the UK. THe Classic is likely to be more expensive in the UK than the VC30.

Have you tried both?
I haven't tried both because the Laney is hard to come by in the small town of Maumee Ohio. I was just saying that the Laney is cheaper by almost 100 on the website so getting the Peavey is probably out of the question.
Quote by screwup30

The 15 watt Laney is actually MUCH louder than your current 15 watt amp, trust me.

The VC30 would be a good choice, much better value in the UK than the Peavey. Peavey's can be way expensive there.
I'll probably end up checking out both. Simply because I want to get the best amp possible within a certain price limit but if that means waiting an extra month and saving an extra £100 then id do it.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
The 15 watt Laney is actually MUCH louder than your current 15 watt amp, trust me.

Is that because the Laney is a valve/tube amp and the Roland Cube is a solid state? Just a guess by the way

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Is that because the Laney is a valve/tube amp and the Roland Cube is a solid state? Just a guess by the way

Yes.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Ah right okay, well then I guess I'll check the 15W Laneys out aswell

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30

A 15W valve amp is a big step up from a 15W SS amp. You can gig with a 15W valve amp. My son went from a 30W Vox AD30VT to a 15W Palomino V16. Not only did he improve tonally, but he increased his volume as well.

What makes the Peavey so appealing in the US is that it's a quality, cheap, gigging quality amp. In the UK, it's not cheap anymore. The Laney would be it's British equivalent. I think the Laney has a couple more features, too (like a standby?). If you have extra money to spend, you'd be better off looking at amps made in Europe. You'll get a lot more for your money that way.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
A 15W valve amp is a big step up from a 15W SS amp. You can gig with a 15W valve amp. My son went from a 30W Vox AD30VT to a 15W Palomino V16. Not only did he improve tonally, but he increased his volume as well.

What makes the Peavey so appealing in the US is that it's a quality, cheap, gigging quality amp. In the UK, it's not cheap anymore. The Laney would be it's British equivalent. I think the Laney has a couple more features, too (like a standby?). If you have extra money to spend, you'd be better off looking at amps made in Europe. You'll get a lot more for your money that way.

Yeah I understand now thanks, the Laney amps do sound like the equivalent which im happy enough with. What do you mean about looking at amps made in Europe?

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30
Yeah I understand now thanks, the Laney amps do sound like the equivalent which im happy enough with. What do you mean about looking at amps made in Europe?

Companies like Laney, Engl, Marshall ect. are based in Europe. You're better off trying to buy from European companies if you are in Europe because amps made outside of Europe (eg Mesa, Peavey) will be more expensive because of shipping and stuff.
Quote by weemansyndrome
Companies like Laney, Engl, Marshall ect. are based in Europe. You're better off trying to buy from European companies if you are in Europe because amps made outside of Europe (eg Mesa, Peavey) will be more expensive because of shipping and stuff.

+1

You're a lot better off with a higher end Laney than an entry level Fender.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Laney are a good way to go here in the UK - their stuff's getting better and better too. Don't forget to practise the lost art of Going Into A Guitar Store And Trying Out Everything You Can, Until The Staff Kick You Out. A useful way to aquaint yourself with all manner of different amp types, even if they have nothing you'd actually want to buy.
Yeah I plan on going into a few guitar stores and trying everything before I even consider parting with my money :P But I came to faithful UG so that id have a better idea of what to look for.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Would everyone generally recommend a vavle/tube amp in comparison with a solid state amp? like which would be better?

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

+10000
Although my Classic 50 gets pretty close to QOTSA levels if I crank the gain.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by screwup30
Would everyone generally recommend a vavle/tube amp in comparison with a solid state amp? like which would be better?

Valve/tube amps are generally better because they sound better when you turn them up as opposed to SS which starts to sound crap when you turn it up. You also get nicer natural overdrive from tube amps.

SS can be better for practise amps though, especially if you want high-gain sounds.
Quote by screwup30

Tube. no questions asked, the sound is just better. a VC30 sounds PERFECT for what you are playing. Go for it man!
Quote by screwup30

Yes...absolutely. You can even do a poll and see. Solid state just sounds too digital and if you've listen to a lot of valve amps, you can tell the difference immediately when cranked up.

I also recommend the laneys. I just played the VC15 and VC30 recently and was amazed by the cleans + warm full overdrive. Clean is pretty bright but you can always dial down the treb. They're kinda expensive here in the US though probably cheaper in UK. 600+ USD here locally for the VC15.

If you plan on gigging, I would recommend the VC30 because the VC15 is just simply not loud enough unless you plan on miking. Especially if you play a lot of clean cuz' it will start breaking up into slight distortion if you crank it. Plus, the VC30 has a way superior speaker IMO and runs in class A (runs hotter but louder than A/B) while the VC15 is class A/B, not to mention 15w difference in power.

Regardless, either will be louder than your roland SS amp. I used to have a Cube 30 and now my Mesa on 5w class A mode will smoke it. When cranked, my 5w can probably deafen me.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Quote by Highwaytohell
Tube. no questions asked, the sound is just better. a VC30 sounds PERFECT for what you are playing. Go for it man!

Yea it seems as though thats the general conclusion. Ah I wish I had my pay and it was thursday already

I will be majorly pissed if the guitar stores in town dont have it, would use recommend buying online? or is that a bad idea?

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by omghi2u
Yes...absolutely. You can even do a poll and see. Solid state just sounds too digital and if you've listen to a lot of valve amps, you can tell the difference immediately when cranked up.

If you plan on gigging, I would recommend the VC30 because the VC15 is just simply not loud enough unless you plan on miking. Especially if you play a lot of clean cuz' it will start breaking up into slight distortion if you crank it. Plus, the VC30 has a way superior speaker IMO and runs in class A (runs hotter but louder than A/B) while the VC15 is class A/B, not to mention 15w difference in power.

I was researching the VC30 on the net yesterday and seen the "class A" thing, what does it mean?

Thanks to everyone for the help so far

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30
I was researching the VC30 on the net yesterday and seen the "class A" thing, what does it mean?

Thanks to everyone for the help so far

it essentialy means that you don't have any crossover distortion, which is looked at as a bad thing. it isn't the distortion tube amps give when cranked, it's too technical to explain here but let's just stick to 'it's bad'.

class A amps are seen as good amps generally, because they have no crossover distortion. (most amps that claim to be class A aren't though) However, only a small amount of people can hear the distortion and the class A thing is more a hype than anything actually. a class A amp will also be quiter than an A/B amp (which does have crossover distortion but will be louder than a class A amp of the same wattage).

long story short, the class doesn't really matter
Check out the Peavey Valve King 112 aswell.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Well amigos, I bought a new amp...and it wasnt the Laney or a Peavey. On Thursday when I set out I looked in atleast 3 or 4 guitar stores for the VC30 but alas it was nowhere to be found. Eventually when I did find it I soon learned it had gone up in price... to £500 :O

So I couldnt get it, I tried a few other amps and really liked this Marshall. I ended up buying the Marshall, its an AVT100X...

Really happy with the new amp, its a major step up from the Cube (thank God) and I think it was a good buy for £270. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30
Well amigos, I bought a new amp...and it wasnt the Laney or a Peavey. On Thursday when I set out I looked in atleast 3 or 4 guitar stores for the VC30 but alas it was nowhere to be found. Eventually when I did find it I soon learned it had gone up in price... to £500 :O

So I couldnt get it, I tried a few other amps and really liked this Marshall. I ended up buying the Marshall, its an AVT100X...

Really happy with the new amp, its a major step up from the Cube (thank God) and I think it was a good buy for £270. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

..mistake, if you ask me.

So, just to clarify, you got the Marshall before even trying out the Laney or Peavey?
Quote by screwup30

Really happy with the new amp, its a major step up from the Cube (thank God)

It really isn't.

Quote by screwup30
...and I think it was a good buy for £270.

It really wasn't.

How's their return policy? You might want to take advantage of it. I would.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Should've gone with the Laney VC112. I've got a VC110, and it's a far better amp than any marshall of a comparable price. That said, the 10" speaker isn't quite as beefy as a 12", and the extra wattage would be useful. If you can return the marshall, and afford the VC112, do so. Especially since the VC series are perfectly suited to the kind of music you're playing. The cranked cleans are beautiful.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
I tried out the Laney, it was great...couldnt afford it and wont be able to for a couple of years. No Peaveys in store, wasnt even considering them as people on UG had said that prices would be to high and overpriced here in the UK.

And the Marshall is definately a better amp than the Cube 15, although that is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own. Im happy with the amp, ive jammed with it and look forward to gigging with it and cant see any problems.

Anyway, disagree and whatever because I do value your opinions and experience but I doubt that ill be changing the amp as Im pretty happy.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30
I tried out the Laney, it was great...couldnt afford it and wont be able to for a couple of years. No Peaveys in store, wasnt even considering them as people on UG had said that prices would be to high and overpriced here in the UK.

And the Marshall is definately a better amp than the Cube 15, although that is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own. Im happy with the amp, ive jammed with it and look forward to gigging with it and cant see any problems.

Anyway, disagree and whatever because I do value your opinions and experience but I doubt that ill be changing the amp as Im pretty happy.

Ah well, each to his own, I guess.

I do forsee a "Okay, I'm really getting tired of my AVT's ****ty tone, what should I get?" thread in your not- so distant future, though.
Page 1 of 2