Page 1 of 2
Epiphone Gothic Thunderbird or Gibson Nicky Sixx i think.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Yeah, looks like the Nikki Sixx bass.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Its a couple of burnt planks with strings.
Or at least it looks like it, what an awful bass!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by Menzaine
Its actually not the Nikki Sixx one but it is a Gothic Thunderbird yes.

How exactly do you know the difference?
Are these Epiphone Thunderbird or Gibson Nikki Sixx basses any good? I dig the looks but if it plays like crap its no good.

@ dancesisidance & Metallicaxp: Don't spam if you can't contribute anything positive to the thread. Get a life.
I couldn't care less about this guys' hair or face. Give a ****. I think he's not a bad bassist and that's the pnly thing that interests me.
Last edited by alreadygone at Mar 24, 2008,
Since the bass question has already been answered, 30 Seconds to Mars has (I hate saying this) offically sold out.

I remember when they used to dress up like astronauts, without the emo haircut and looks, before this CD got ridiculously popular, and brought random people I've never heard of on stage.

/rant
in a word. no.

in several words. it's an awful bass, full of glaring flaws in its sound and playability that gibson will not address.

1) poor weight distribution due to the poor placement of the strap buttons and the ridiculous proportions of the headstock

2) muddy bland tone due to a complete mahogany construction and 2 humbuckers

3) no tonal variation due to the same things as above

4) a stupidly fat neck, i'm almost certain its the same size at the nut as a 5 string ibanez

5) piss poor upper fret access due to the shape of the body
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
its either gothic thunderbird gibson or epihone or the nikki sixx blackbird
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Is that Matt Wachter?

If so, he now plays for Angels and Airwaves, and uses Fender basses.
It's an Epi Goth T-Bird. The Nikki Sixx has different inlays.

I feel like I should take a shower for knowing that.
I didn't know Hitler played bass
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by .Anfield
Is that Matt Wachter?

If so, he now plays for Angels and Airwaves, and uses Fender basses.

I'm pretty sure he endorses G&L basses.
I checked it out now: The Nikki Sixx model has different inlays and no control knobs, only a killswitch. I also read a review, supposedly the Goth Thunderbird is not a bad bass if you're lucky and get a good one; quality varies from one bass to the next. Hmm...
It sure looks damned stylish though. Matter of taste I guess.
Any other opinions on quality? It seems to be a reasonable deal for $299 on MF
I think you're going to be hard pressed to find many people with something good to say about Thunderbirds on here. Best thing to do is try one, then try a few other basses, I seriously wouldn't reccomend buying one blind though, alot of people really hate these basses.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
The issue I have with Epiphone in general when it comes to guitars and basses is that their QC seems arbitrary and the electronics are less than ideal. And then there's that three point bridge that Gibson / Epiphone seem to be fond of, that has a nasty habit of coming undone, usually right in the middle of playing.

Gibson has quality instruments, but like many others, I feel that in the basses, the cost vs. what you get ratio is a bit skewed. And in the budget lines, there are better quality options than Epiphone.

Finally, looks should follow how it sounds and plays. If all three work for you, you've found your bass.
I want to find a used Gibson bass just so I can form my own opinion about them. I am not a fan of the T-bird shape, I do like the SG and LP style. I hate how everyone on this forum bashes Gib/Epi basses, I just wonder how many have just jumped on the bandwagon because they didn't want to left behind. (i know a lot of you bash with just cause)
I think the best way to summarise the Gibson policy on their basses is that they have such a small cut of the market, they might as well just sell on the image they have (from people like Nikki Stix). The classic appeal is really the only thing it has going for it. Of course it makes a sound, so some people will like its tone, but this is a definate minority.

As said before, it has a very bassy, muddy tone that comes from large quantities of mahogany, soapbar pickups and the neck pickup being too close to the neck. Try cranking the bass on your EQ, and cutting the treble. It doesn't quite get there, but it gives a good indication of what I'm talking about.

Also, it has some design flaws which make it an uncomfortable bass to play. The most obvious of these are the massive neck dive and the poor upper fret access (neck joins the body around the 15th fret). There is also the bridge design, which seems to have no sonic or construction advantages, with a fair few disadvantages. Most notably, it likes to fall off (I haven't seen it happen myself, but there are plenty of stories).

It makes a noise, so it may be the perfect bass for you. However, many people either hate it on the first try of one, and a fair few others grow to dislike it more and more, the longer they play with it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by terb
I want to find a used Gibson bass just so I can form my own opinion about them. I am not a fan of the T-bird shape, I do like the SG and LP style. I hate how everyone on this forum bashes Gib/Epi basses, I just wonder how many have just jumped on the bandwagon because they didn't want to left behind. (i know a lot of you bash with just cause)

I own an Epi btw, an Accu Bass to be exact, their Precision Bass clone of the 1980s/1990s. However, it took a good deal of modding (and still needs a bit more..a bridge and new tuners) to get to a great playing state. From the factory it came with ****e electronics and an impossibly high action. However, the all maple body makes it worth the effort to get it up to "snuff" so to speak.

I have friends who own Tbirds who have had the bridge pop off mid play (one of them at a gig), and I have played their Tbirds. I am not duly impressed. While Squier basses don't exactly light my fire (with the exception of the VMs), at least their built fairly well, and cost seems equivalent to their relative quality.
Quote by terb

I personally own a Gibson bass, an old G-3. I love it, it's a great bass, along with the Ripper and Grabber basses. They were gibson's only good attempt at making a decent bass.

Now with that out of the way, Gibson's (and epiphone) SG, EB, T-Bird basses are absolutely awful bass. Poor construction quality, humbuckers against the neck joint and mahogany. You're not going to get any type of clear sound out of them, it doesn't matter how much, or little electronics you have in it, it's going to sound like mud.

mud. mud. mud. mud. mud.

The Gibson Victory bass was a pretty decent bass. Unfortunately the only one I've played had been heavily modified, so I didn't get to experience the real thing.
Te bass described is a Gothic Thunderbird by either epiphone or gibson.

You can tell that it is gothic because it has dot inlays and knobs (Nikki has cross inlays and a single power switch).

Quote by Skater Dan0
in a word. no.

in several words. it's an awful bass, full of glaring flaws in its sound and playability that gibson will not address.

1) poor weight distribution due to the poor placement of the strap buttons and the ridiculous proportions of the headstock

2) muddy bland tone due to a complete mahogany construction and 2 humbuckers

3) no tonal variation due to the same things as above

4) a stupidly fat neck, i'm almost certain its the same size at the nut as a 5 string ibanez

5) piss poor upper fret access due to the shape of the body

1: Agree
2: Agree
3: Disagree, after trying it out it has more variation than my squier, and almost my spector. It can go from bassy to trebly in a pinch due to the ability to mix pickups.
4: Disagree, I found the neck to be quite normal. But of course, I am used to my chunky pbass neck.
5: Agree

While the Thunderbird is bad, I find that it is not deserving at all of the hate it gets on this forum, which absolutely adores the undeserving SX basses. Don't hate Epiphone, hate SX.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
First of all, a 1.73" nut width is about as thick as a nut gets on a 4-string. There are only 2 nuts thicker: A 50's P-Bass at 1.75" (a whole .02 bigger), or a Wishbass, with nuts varying from 1.3" to 2.05". Yes, all 4-strings.

I can understand your "why hate T-Birds but not SX" thing, but SX is what it is. Nobody goes into a store and says "crap, I want an SX. And not because of the low price, either." SX basses, IMO, are typically instruments you "settle on" whereas T-Birds are marketed and priced like legit contenders.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
This is my reasoning for the phrase underneath my username. I don't see why you would use an Epiphone (or a Gibbo, for that matter) for the price it costs you. They have issues a 100 dollar Rogue does not have. Sure you may love the tone, but for the price of a Gibson Thunderbird just get an all mahogany Warwick with 2 humbuckers. If you like the looks, then you are missing the point completely. I mean, your the bass player, its not like anyone will be looking at you anyway

But to contribute to the thread, I wanna say its a Gibson, purely because it would be BEYOND idiotic for Gibson to have the bass player of a professional band play an Epiphone.
Quote by thefitz
First of all, a 1.73" nut width is about as thick as a nut gets on a 4-string. There are only 2 nuts thicker: A 50's P-Bass at 1.75" (a whole .02 bigger), or a Wishbass, with nuts varying from 1.3" to 2.05". Yes, all 4-strings.

I can understand your "why hate T-Birds but not SX" thing, but SX is what it is. Nobody goes into a store and says "crap, I want an SX. And not because of the low price, either." SX basses, IMO, are typically instruments you "settle on" whereas T-Birds are marketed and priced like legit contenders.

But why settle on SX? A squier aff pbass, which is 10x better, only costs $50 more. I could make $50 in one day of hard work.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
But why settle on SX? A squier aff pbass, which is 10x better, only costs $50 more. I could make $50 in one day of hard work.

Good question, and I totally agree. However, I think the hook with SX is that after it's price in upgrades, you have a potential MIM killer, whereas if you do that to a Squier, you'll have something that costs $100 and is still made of Agathis with a rosewood fingerboard. I don't necessarily support that idea, but it is what it is.

EDIT: These Rondo P-basses seem to be $110; isn't that half the Squier price?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by thefitz
Good question, and I totally agree. However, I think the hook with SX is that after it's price in upgrades, you have a potential MIM killer, whereas if you do that to a Squier, you'll have something that costs $100 and is still made of Agathis. I don't necessarily support that idea, but it is what it is.

I disagree. First of all, you would need a new neck for an SX. I have recently discovered that they have the worst necks for a bass that I have ever seen in my life. Let us not forget the price of the neck, they cost more than the SX does itself. then there is new electronics, new hardware, and new pickups.

You are then left with a bass that costs more than an MIM, was more difficult to obtain than an MIM, and still has some inherent flaws that is not as easily fixable.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
You have the SX, I don't - I'll take your word for it. I've just heard of people on TalkBass saying that a refret, pickup change, and hardware change results in an MIM killer. I've also heard them say "look at me, I'm the best. I'm on TalkBass."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I will admit that I have only seen an SX pbass and strat, but the Strat neck turned out terribly (I have yet to have a hard look at the Pbass neck). First of all, the laquer felt terrible. But its the finish that makes me cry in pain, the neck is orange. A laquered, unstained maple neck should NOT be orange.

And I really do not think you should listen to talkbass, they like Thunderbirds.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
my SX Jazz bass had a very crappy uneven finish on the neck, but after some wetsanding with 800, it's now one of the fastest and most comfortable necks I've ever played on. The fretting job on mine was flawless, also.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
well i just got myself a normal epiphone thunderbird (not goth) and i love it and i had a peavey millennium bxp 4
its not rape if you shout suprise
Quote by my-name-is-mud
well i just got myself a normal epiphone thunderbird (not goth) and i love it and i had a peavey millennium bxp 4

let me highlight the important word here

honeymoon periods are great. the neck dive, bland tone, oversized novelty neck and shoddy build quality mean absolutely nothing because it's new
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
honeymoon periods are great. the neck dive, bland tone, oversized novelty neck and shoddy build quality mean absolutely nothing because it's new

Yup! I was in total heaven with my behringer amp for the first month or so.... until I play another amp in a store. From that point on I've hated myself.
Quote by skater dan0
let me highlight the important word here

Just to defend the TBirds a little, the necks aren't that fat. We just have a jazz bass fan here. Any neck witha bit fo meat to it feels fat
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
yes i am a jazz bass fan, that's probably quite obvious due to me owning 2 4 string jazzes and a 5 string jazz.

but that doesn't change the fact that the tbird has the 2nd widest nut on a production bass as proven by fitzy several posts up. 1.73" is a big nut whichever way you look at it. the headstock is oversized, it could and should be shaved down to help the balance issue
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I don't get why the Nikki Sixx bass has a killswitch. I think I remember in an interview him saying "It's either off or on"... but like WTF? That mentality is for heads and effects, not basses.
Quote by Forcemaster
thunderbird hating fanboys desist!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNvF5l0QE0&feature=related

Muddy tone, bad for slap yadda yadda.. right?

He has an Eden/Dr. Bass rig, that could make anything sound good We both know it. T-birds are not as the fame they get here at UG, but I still think the relation price-bassyouget is not that great.
Quote by Charlatan_001
I don't get why the Nikki Sixx bass has a killswitch. I think I remember in an interview him saying "It's either off or on"... but like WTF? That mentality is for heads and effects, not basses.

I would really call it a "killswitch" its more of a On/Off switch. I think of it as something you would find on a vacuum cleaner. It stops that horrible noise.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Page 1 of 2