I play D'Addario 11 through 52 strings at the moment. As I've heard that some of my favourite guitarists (Jimmy Page, Slash) use Ernie Ball strings, I was thinking about using Ernie Ball strings from now on, same gauge.

What do you think? How much of a change will there be in sound, and will I have to adjust the intonation? And, in terms of quality, which brand is better and which string brand out of all of them is the best (or is there such a brand?)?

I know this is kind of a lame question, but I don't want to have to change to Ernie Ball and then find out I don't like them and waste money and time etc.

Thanks in advance

P.S. No jokes please......
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Changing brands = almost zero change in tone.

Honestly, I doubt even Eric Johnson would notice if you swapped D'Addarios for Ernie Balls (or whatever he uses).
^ lol

Though seriously, different brands of strings do almost nothing different to your tone.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Changing brand won't change your tone from what I heard, but changing gauge might slightly chang it, when I switched gauge for the first time I thought i did something wrong cause it sounded a bit different but it was normal , I use super slinky strings ( i think, the ones in the blue pack ) their super strong I havn't broken one since I started using them ( knock on wood)
there's a very slim change in sound just as people here above say... but I personally used Ernie Ball until about six months ago, now i play D'addario .11 to .52 and In my opinion thats better...
Quote by Menzaine
True but i stick to D'Addarios.
****ers never break!

Also true! And they're cheaper...
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
the ernie balls feel a bit softer in my opinion thats why i prefer them. not a life changing difference though
Ernie balls used to break more often for me, although some people will probably say they never break for them.
The D'Addarios haven't broken in any pack I've bought, and I've been using them for a year now. I like the security.
But no tone changes.

Edit:
I'd also like to add that I've never had them break, and I retune (fast too) anywhere between standard and drop B almost every time I play. Those strings take a huge beating.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Mar 24, 2008,
I use Elixer's Nanowabs. They feel as if I just put them on for friggen weeks after I did. And I like the feel of the coated strings.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
basically you want strings that last the longest. Because, as everyone's said, it won't change your tone at all hardly. 11's are a great gauge though, so stick with that, don't go down to a smaller gauge.
I've got really acidic fingers and D'addarios still last a good while and i've never had anything but the high E break on me.
the EJ signature GHS boomers.
Very good.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i play the DR black beauties and they black and u can get them in a higer gauge they are also coated making them last longer, ive also used the Ernie ball super slinkys but those arnt as high of a gauge as u want but they are great!
-BiOhAZarD722-
Originally Posted by Gizzard101
I personally prefer Dr.Dre but Lil Jon is gangsta home boy fresh aswell.
...lol wtf?
Quote by lzrdsixsix6
sounds like you have a severe case of the dumbass.....it's quite common in the pit really just sleep it off
I'm not a fan of Ernie Ball strings. I use Floyd Rose trems and I'm pretty willy nilly with the trem and in my experience they do not hold up well. Maybe I just got several bad batches I dunno.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I just got my first set of Black Diamond coated 10s and they feel pretty decent, but they seem to be harder to bend than other sets of 10s to me.

To be honest I think strings do make a small difference in the tone, but only due to string gauge and material.

I do love the David Gilmour GHS set, he really has the string gauges down to a science, just right for those incredible bends he does.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
Quote by Mesa_Rory
the ernie balls feel a bit softer in my opinion thats why i prefer them. not a life changing difference though

Me too

I love the softness of them
I used to play 0.11 D'Addarios as well but have started using 0.11 Fender Super Bullets last year. Tonewise there hasn't changed much. The only significant differences are that I can't stand the sound of fresh D'Addarios, they have to be on the guitar for at least 3 to 4 days before they sound decent, while the Fender strings sound good the second you put them on. Fenders seem to hold longer as well.
Then again, D'Addarios are cheaper than other name brand strings, you get a lot of "bang for the buck".
Ernie Ball 0.11 are a little different than other strings, as they are thicker (except for the high e string, which is 0.11, of course), especially the g string is incredibly thick, making bendings a pain in the ass. In fact it is so thick that it was not possible for me to properly adjut the intonation on my Les Paul concerning that particular string (simply because the saddle couldn't be moved enough). That's the main reason why I didn't stick with Ernie Ball strings.

You will definitely have to adjust your intonation in case you buy these strings, but wait like a week before doing so, as fresh strings need other settings than used ones.

I'd say buy one package and see if you like them. It's not like you have to sell your car to be able to afford a pack of strings (and in case you didn't notice, I advise you to try out Fender 0.11 Super Bullets as well).
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
I used to play 0.11 D'Addarios as well but have started using 0.11 Fender Super Bullets last year. Tonewise there hasn't changed much. The only significant differences are that I can't stand the sound of fresh D'Addarios, they have to be on the guitar for at least 3 to 4 days before they sound decent, while the Fender strings sound good the second you put them on. Fenders seem to hold longer as well.
Then again, D'Addarios are cheaper than other name brand strings, you get a lot of "bang for the buck".
Ernie Ball 0.11 are a little different than other strings, as they are thicker (except for the high e string, which is 0.11, of course), especially the g string is incredibly thick, making bendings a pain in the ass. In fact it is so thick that it was not possible for me to properly adjut the intonation on my Les Paul concerning that particular string (simply because the saddle couldn't be moved enough). That's the main reason why I didn't stick with Ernie Ball strings.

You will definitely have to adjust your intonation in case you buy these strings, but wait like a week before doing so, as fresh strings need other settings than used ones.

I'd say buy one package and see if you like them. It's not like you have to sell your car to be able to afford a pack of strings (and in case you didn't notice, I advise you to try out Fender 0.11 Super Bullets as well).

Yea i found out that when i first saddled on the DR strings. It kinda gave out a weird sound out on the beginning.
Artist endorsement is totally irrelevant with strings.

Reason being, all these famous guitarists have their strings changed every day, for every single show. Unless you plan on changing strings each time you pick up your guitar you'll gain nothing from following the example of your favorite players.
I suggest the old 'trial and error' method - every time you change strings buy a different brand, until you've settled on a personal favourite.
i use ernie ball super slinky (pink pack) and i love them. used to use hybrid slinky but the supers are so much easier. i think they're 8 through 42
Quote by opc100
i use ernie ball super slinky (pink pack) and i love them. used to use hybrid slinky but the supers are so much easier. i think they're 8 through 42

holy I used to have thoughs on my strat. They were fun to use because they were so bendy. But I later put 9's on them.
Ghs boomers 10-46
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic