I understand that the center section of a neck-thru guitar is a great contributor to the resulting sound.

The question is, if I want the resulting instrument to sound and "feel" like Alder, if the center section is maple, what should I use for wings?

Since upgrading to 18V, I'm liking the sound my SC607 more and more, and that is Maple with Mahogany wings. While I like it more now, its still a hair darker and undefined than I'd really prefer.

So, what am I looking at for sides? Korina, Koa perhaps?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I'd go with Korina if you can find it at a nice price, very defined sound
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I'd say Adler.

Even though alot of the tone does come from the neck wood on neck-through guitars, tone woods don't 'average out' If adler is between maple and mahogany in terms of brightness, have a maple neck and mahogany wings won't make it sound like adler.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Korina and Koa are exotic woods. Almost every electric guitar tone you have heard is either a mix of maple on maple, maple on mahogany, maple on swamp ash, or plain mahogany. I would change your pickups instead. Much of the impact of wood on a guitar's tone can be EQd out in my experience.
Quote by Doodleface
...Even though alot of the tone does come from the neck wood on neck-through guitars, tone woods don't 'average out'...
I understand that, hence my asking

I probably should've specified that this question is in regards to what will be a custom build, and not an existing guitar
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Poplar sounds a lot like alder, and should offset the weight of a maple. Jackson used to do this a fair bit. GOOD cuts of poplar are as nice as alder.
Had a bolt-on Jackson a ways back that was poplar.

I didn't care for it truthfully Might be different with the maple center, but as a solid piece, I didn't like it.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
You could try maple- it's brighter and more defined than alder or mahogany. And it won't be that heavy- you could always change the design to do a smaller body. I did so and the neck, wings, and all the parts unassembled on my all-maple build come out to around 8 lbs.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Not concerned about the weight at all really.

The tone, and the feel of the guitar are all that matter.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
If your not worried about weight i would use balsa wood. I heard a balsa wood guitar once , the sustain was unreal.
Balsa wood, like model rocket wings Balsa wood?

No offense, doesn't sound like a great idea...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by budgetminded
If your not worried about weight i would use balsa wood. I heard a balsa wood guitar once , the sustain was unreal.

You realize balsa wood is really light right? I would use poplar or try bubinga it's not the most popular tone wood but its tone is a little darker or warmer than alder. Plus it sustains like theres no tommorow.
BALSA BALSA BALSAAAAAAA!!!!!!

BALSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

balsa.
Quote by budgetminded
Various **** coming from his mouth.

'k, whatever. **** off please.

The maple centre is going to be relatively bright and heavy, so I'd offset it with something a bit darker (obviously). Have you thought about any of the Ash varieties (I think Swamp Ash would be nice, although a tad middey)? Otherwise, look for Koa/Korina/Tasmanian Blackwood.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by budgetminded
BALSA BALSA BALSAAAAAAA!!!!!!

BALSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

you really are budget minded. cheapest possible wood. ever.

if you like the tone of alder, use alder wings. its better than having no alder on the body at all.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by the_random_hero
...The maple centre is going to be relatively bright and heavy, so I'd offset it with something a bit darker (obviously). Have you thought about any of the Ash varieties...
I was originally intending to use hard ash, but after re-evaluating two guitars I have, I think Ash might be too bright. It also seems to have a really loud acoustic tone, but when its plugged in, is very compressed and not as lively.

The Mahogany bodied guitar, much louder and fuller bodied through an amp. I'm not crazy about how Mahogany "feels", but it is closer to the tone I'm looking for.

Quote by hippiebass
...try bubinga it's not the most popular tone wood but its tone is a little darker or warmer than alder. Plus it sustains like theres no tommorow.
Interesting idea. Bubinga is warmer than Alder, brighter than Mahogany?

For some reason I always slotted Bubinga in with Ebony as being very bright

Regardless, it would look friggin' beautiful...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by ValoRhoads
I'd go with Korina if you can find it at a nice price, very defined sound
I'm thinking this is going to be the way to go.

Black Korina seems to slot in between Mahogany and Alder which should be perfect for me. How's the definition BTW?

While the Hard Ash may be too bright, it has a tightness and definition that I absolutely love.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头