The legato section in In The Name of God is insanity. How do I get myself there?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
practice

srzly, practice, A LOT

it takes a while, i started just doing a lot of basic a-tonal runs(not related to any scale)

ie, just go

-1-3-5-

across all strongs, then do it:

-5-3-1-

and think of patterns like that, it gets your fingers warmed up and use to that feel and eventually makes legato very easy
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
There was a great DVD called '(insert name here)'s legato workout'. I remember my friend said it was really good for that stuff, but I can't remember the guitarists name. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Practice?
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
practice is obvious... what to practice is not
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
There was a great DVD called '(insert name here)'s legato workout'. I remember my friend said it was really good for that stuff, but I can't remember the guitarists name. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Practice?

Rusty Cooley, I believe.
If you come across a long legato run/lick just pick it out note by note first to get the sound and feel of it. Then jus practice slow with a metronome and build it up.

I find that once you do a couple of really hard legato bits the majority of them will come easily.
Quote by Psychedelico
The legato section in In The Name of God is insanity. How do I get myself there?

Oh! I was thinking of picking that up today actually hahaha. Biggest problem for me with that solo is right at the end where it's basically...

-22h23h24p23p22h23h24p23p22h23h24p23p22
-------------------------------------

... for like 4 bars. My fingers aren't small enough to do that! I think I'll just slide it though. Who the hell's gonna know!?

EDIT: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=nqAVdwdxqUM

Watch him play it. May pick up a trick or two?
Last edited by Avedas at Mar 24, 2008,
^haha my effeminate hands are good for something other than getting made fun of!

but how the heck can you slide that part? it's not hard to tell legato and sliding apart.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Psychedelico
^haha my effeminate hands are good for something other than getting made fun of!

but how the heck can you slide that part? it's not hard to tell legato and sliding apart.

Um...

--22s24s22s24s22s24

over and over? That part is 32nd notes and there's quite a bit of sliding in it anyways

Besides that though, I tried it and my fingers can barely fit. It's still playable though. I learned about half of the solo and got it pretty smooth within an hour. It's not too bad.
Youtube for the finger gym, or something like that. If it's the video I think it is, the guy gives a great legato workout, plus he gives out several pointers to playing legato well.

Basically, you need to practice hammer-ons and pull-offs very slowly. Keep your fingers as low as possible, and make the hammered-on or pulled-off note sound as loud as the original note.

The biggest mistake I see with people when they start practicing legato is they have their fingers miles in the air (I was the same way), and it'll kill your speed until you break yourself of it (or if you're lucky you don't have this problem). Watch any virtuoso do a legato line, their fingers look like they barely move, even though it sounds like they hit a thousand notes. That's the key to a fast, smooth legato.

Ultimately, you really have to sit down and practice the poop out of it though, because legato is all about being smooth, it takes lots of work to hammer out all of the kinks.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
Youtube for the finger gym, or something like that. If it's the video I think it is, the guy gives a great legato workout, plus he gives out several pointers to playing legato well.

Basically, you need to practice hammer-ons and pull-offs very slowly. Keep your fingers as low as possible, and make the hammered-on or pulled-off note sound as loud as the original note.

The biggest mistake I see with people when they start practicing legato is they have their fingers miles in the air (I was the same way), and it'll kill your speed until you break yourself of it (or if you're lucky you don't have this problem). Watch any virtuoso do a legato line, their fingers look like they barely move, even though it sounds like they hit a thousand notes. That's the key to a fast, smooth legato.

Ultimately, you really have to sit down and practice the poop out of it though, because legato is all about being smooth, it takes lots of work to hammer out all of the kinks.

It's not just legato. That's economy of motion in any circumstance. You don't get all that much faster in your playing. It's just your economy of motion that improves.