These are the chords that I'm picking - please note the alternate tuning:

C# F# B Eb Ab C#

C#-----------------------------------------
Ab-------2-------2-------2---2/5-2-0
Eb-----0--0-------0---0---0-----------------
B-----------------------------------------------
F#---2------2-0-------------------------------
C#-------------------2------------------------------

I originally assumed it was G#maj but when I play that scale over this riff it doesn't seem to fit.
Quote by ortrigger
do you know the difference between B and Ab?

I do - Whats that suppose to mean?
Quote by ortrigger
do you know the difference between B and Ab?

What?
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
yeah - lol i was thinking the same thing
give me a sec to transopose to the alternate tuning
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by dough boy
These are the chords that I'm picking - please note the alternate tuning:

C# F# B Eb Ab C#

C#-----------------------------------------
Ab-------2-------2-------2---2/5-2-0
Eb-----0--0-------0---0---0-----------------
B-----------------------------------------------
F#---2------2-0-------------------------------
C#-------------------2------------------------------

I originally assumed it was G#maj but when I play that scale over this riff it doesn't seem to fit.

Stay consistent with sharps and flats, don't mix them together like that. At first glance: here are the notes of the riff:

G#, Eb, Bb, Eb, G#, F#, Bb, Eb, D#, Eb, Bb, Eb, B, Db, Bb, Ab

Make G# into Ab, F# into Gb, D# into Eb.

You have Bb, Eb, Ab, Db and Gb; thus, you're in Db major or Bb minor depending on the tonal center, and based on your riff I'd say Bb minor.
oh sorry, momentary brain-fart. my previous question is irrelevant. one thing you could do is write the notes out on a staff and then see which scale will fit over top of it.
Quote by teknotard
yeah - lol i was thinking the same thing
give me a sec to transopose to the alternate tuning

Thanks dude
Quote by :-D
Stay consistent with sharps and flats, don't mix them together like that. At first glance: here are the notes of the riff:

G#, Eb, Bb, Eb, G#, F#, Bb, Eb, D#, Eb, Bb, Eb, B, Db, Bb, Ab

Make G# into Ab, F# into Gb, D# into Eb.

You have Bb, Eb, Ab, Db and Gb; thus, you're in Db major or Bb minor depending on the tonal center, and based on your riff I'd say Bb minor.

Thanks for that - Would you please explain how you worked out it was in either Dbmaj or Bb minor please as I normally look at the root, or first note of the riff to determine the scale and think this may be a very wrong way of doing it. Also - How did you deduce it was in minor tonality?
if i did it right That chord is a G#sus2 maj 7 so it could be a couble of differenct keys
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
actually its just a G#sus 2 and then 5 is a passing tone.

So this could work in G# better named Ab
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by dough boy
Thanks for that - Would you please explain how you worked out it was in either Dbmaj or Bb minor please as I normally look at the root, or first note of the riff to determine the scale and think this may be a very wrong way of doing it. Also - How did you deduce it was in minor tonality?

All I did was figure out what notes were in the riff; after converting them all to flats instead of using both flats and sharps, I saw there were five flats. Db major and Bb minor contain 5 flats each, and a lot of your riff is based on the back and forth between Eb and Bb, which pulls my ear toward Bb minor.
but that "f#" call it a Gb that makes the most sense.

and then that means the key is Db or Gb would work the best

EDIT: I should mention that it would be the major key of Db or Gb and you could do modes and variations off of that
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Last edited by teknotard at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by :-D
All I did was figure out what notes were in the riff; after converting them all to flats instead of using both flats and sharps, I saw there were five flats. Db major and Bb minor contain 5 flats each, and a lot of your riff is based on the back and forth between Eb and Bb, which pulls my ear toward Bb minor.

Thank you - just one more thing - How did you work out that the Bb is minor and not major - because since its a note on its own - could it not be either?
because Bb major would have a D natural playing and since you have a Db then it is Bb minor. although it might not nesecarilly lead to the minor because you are playing a suspended chord which means it is without a tonality it could lead anywhere.
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
because Bb major would have a D natural playing and since you have a Db then it is Bb minor. although it might not nesecarilly lead to the minor because you are playing a suspended chord which means it is without a tonality it could lead anywhere.

Thanks everybody. I understand now. Didn't realise it woud be so difficult to determine the key your in. I would have thought there was only really one answer. I think I'll go with the Bb minor scale as it sound nice over this riff anyway.

Thanks again
Quote by teknotard

Bb major only has two flats, Bb and Eb, so there would be a D natural, G natural and A natural as compared to Bb minor. It was more about the tonal center of the riff.
Bb major only has two flats, Bb and Eb, so there would be a D natural, G natural and A natural as compared to Bb minor.

Yeah, i was just answering more simply about why it would be Bb -
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120