So I've been playing for about a year now and I still have no idea what a tube amp is. I play through a line 6 spider 3. What's the difference between a tube amp and what I have? I read the stickies but I didn't really get the answer I was looking for.
your has solid state amplifying, tube amps have tubes, what don't you get?
Basically, tube amps have tubes in them. As a rule of thumb, tube amps sound better than solid states. However, it's not always that simple, and there are some solid state amps that are better than many tube amps.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
your line 6 produces digitized sounds from a circuitboard. tubes produce an organic sound from "tubes"...comprende? tubes have a much fuller sound and sound more natural.
Esp Eclipse EC-1000 (with Seymour Duncans)
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley Tube Screamer Comming Soon
Fender Twin Reverb Commnig Soon
ok I can understand that. and whats wrong with my line 6? it sounds good to me
Gear:
Lefty Epi. SG G-400 w/ emg's
Line 6 Spider 3
Dime Crybaby From Hell
Digitech Grunge
Some people don't like Line 6 (myself included) because they think they sound artificial and fake, compared to the tube amp noises they try to simulate. The only way to get a tube amp sound is by going out and buying one.
Nothing is wrong with your line 6. You like the sound then no problem.

A tube amp generally will go louder (a 50watt tube amp is the largest anyone will ever need) and many people prefer the sound.

I recomend dropping into a guitar store and asking to try out some amps. This way you'll be able to hear the difference for yourself.
There is nothing really wrong with line 6 amps, but the sound quality is nowhere near as good as a tube amp's one. You'll notice this when directly comparing your amp to a tube amp, especially when they are cranked loud. Spiders are okay when being quiet, let's say when practicing, but the sound is just bad when you turn up the volume knob, let's say when rehearsing with a band or when gigging.

Not to offend you, but I don't expect someone who has been playing only for a year to really hear the difference, which can be subtle sometimes. You'll notice it more with more years of playing and experience under your belt.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 24, 2008,
You'll hear the difference if you record a solid state amp like your line 6 and then listen to a recording of a tube amp (like one off a manufacturer's site). But it's more than that, a tube amp will respond to your playing much more dynamically and responsively. A tube amp has the capacity to make you sound better than you actually are if you're already pretty good. It also can make you sound worse if your a bad player to start with. You can't hide behind the mush you get with a solid state's sound with a tube.
Quote by TheQuailman
There is nothing really wrong with line 6 amps, but the sound quality is nowhere near as good as a tube amp's one. You'll notice this when directly comparing your amp to a tube amp, especially when they are cranked loud. Spiders are okay when being quiet, let's say when practicing, but the sound is just bad when you turn up the volume knob, let's say when rehearsing with a band or when gigging.

Not to offend you, but I don't expect someone who has been playing only for a year to really hear the difference, which can be subtle sometimes. You'll notice it more with more years of playing and experience under your belt.

Yea I understand that completely, There definitely is a decline in sound quality when it's turned up. Thanks
Gear:
Lefty Epi. SG G-400 w/ emg's
Line 6 Spider 3
Dime Crybaby From Hell
Digitech Grunge
Quote by bartdevil_metal
You'll hear the difference if you record a solid state amp like your line 6 and then listen to a recording of a tube amp (like one off a manufacturer's site). But it's more than that, a tube amp will respond to your playing much more dynamically and responsively. A tube amp has the capacity to make you sound better than you actually are if you're already pretty good. It also can make you sound worse if your a bad player to start with. You can't hide behind the mush you get with a solid state's sound with a tube.

this is true
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
http://www.trueaudio.com/at_eetjlm.htm

That link has some interesting stuff on tube/SS comparison.

One thing I can tell ya is be careful of the "advisers" on these forums. Most of the guys responding to you dont even own a tube amp, or even good SS for that matter.
You cant really rely on soundclips either because of post recording processing. Best thing is to go to a store and try out different amps yourself. Then you can make a decision based on what you hear, NOT what some guy claims you must have!
Quote by guitarhero56
ok I can understand that. and whats wrong with my line 6? it sounds good to me

Nothing's wrong, for now. It's like oral sex; bad oral sex will be awesome, until you have good oral sex. Then you'll never go back.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Nothing's wrong, for now. It's like oral sex; bad oral sex will be awesome, until you have good oral sex. Then you'll never go back.

I lol'ed.