Page 1 of 2
Whenever I am at a party where there happens to be an acoustic guitar, a girl asked me to play something for her. So I go and play a nice acoustic song and the girls like it but my guy friends get PISSED for some reason. They won't shut up! They just tell me to stop playing. I am a good guitar player, it's not like I sound like absolute ass. Does anyone know what I can do?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Boys are like that.
well "cool" boys. They probably think they're at the height of coolness now and don't want you bringing them down. Play some Britney, that will help
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
They think you're hogging all the action. Lacking any talent of their own, they try to look tough and get you to stop.

Using the guitar as a club is your only option.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Pure jealousy, especially if its one of their GF's that happens to be listening to you play .
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
It could be jealousy... if they are asking you to play and you don't go overboard... that's probably it.

We used to know this guy Tony who would bust out his guitar at EVERY party, now he was a pretty decent player and he could sing alright... but seriously he was such a douche about it, everyone made fun of him whenever he busted out. Not because they were jealous, but he would just make up songs and start singing em to girls randomly. **** like:

"Girl you are so beautiful, the ocean is jealous of your beauty.. woooaahhhwooaahh"

Just stupid cheesy stuff that he would make up in a piss poor attempt to pick up girls..

As long as that is not you, you should be alright
It's jealousy- I get that too.

It's cus ur gettin grl attenshun lul.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by chillbeast
It could be jealousy... if they are asking you to play and you don't go overboard... that's probably it.

We used to know this guy Tony who would bust out his guitar at EVERY party, now he was a pretty decent player and he could sing alright... but seriously he was such a douche about it, everyone made fun of him whenever he busted out. Not because they were jealous, but he would just make up songs and start singing em to girls randomly. **** like:

"Girl you are so beautiful, the ocean is jealous of your beauty.. woooaahhhwooaahh"

Just stupid cheesy stuff that he would make up in a piss poor attempt to pick up girls..

As long as that is not you, you should be alright

That guy sounds cool
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
That guy sounds cool

Cool as a douche can be haha.

One time he kept singing to this one girl and after like 2 lines she would just roll her eyes and walk away.

Finally we all overheard her screaming at the top of her lungs "SHUT THE **** UP YOU SUCK!" He didn't play guitar anymore that night.
Yeah, some people, especially in this rap filled world, can get very annoyed very quickly when a guitar gets whipped out. One of my friends stopped coming over my house just because I usually can't stop picking the guitar up. Don't take it too personally, not everyone digs the guitar like we do. Surprisingly, for most people, music is just background noise, and once you pop that guitar out, it becomes the center noise. They don't dig it.
The times they are a changin'.....
Try playing That John Menstrualcramp song they have on the sports commercials. This is our country. That way everyone will hate you and be pissed at you.
+1 to hardrock.

if i'm at a party unelss it's a band that's supposed to be playing, i don't wanna see people jsut playing guitar there.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Quote by Italy's Finest
Yeah, some people, especially in this rap filled world, can get very annoyed very quickly when a guitar gets whipped out.

i arrived very late at a party once and only five people were left 4 girls and one dude, they sey aside an acoustic especially for me and eventually the boy was like "shut the **** up guitar music is gay" so i drunkenly stared at him and started playing crank dat, then said "everything can be guitar music"
GEAR

customised westfield strat soon to be HH
MIJ 68'reissue strat from 1996

bunch of boss pedals
I live close to you. Next time you go to a party, I'll go with you and I'll hold your hand so you don't get your feelings hurt.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Tell them that they can always join in on the bass. Then pat their heads.

Who cares what a bunch of prebubescent guys think? Just do your thing.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
When you get to shag all the girls at a party, you shouldn't really care if the odd guy tells you to shut up.
Quote by higgy30
i arrived very late at a party once and only five people were left 4 girls and one dude, they sey aside an acoustic especially for me and eventually the boy was like "shut the **** up guitar music is gay" so i drunkenly stared at him and started playing crank dat, then said "everything can be guitar music"

Shame on you for knowing that. SHAME
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
When I play guitar at parties, 90% of the time I fail hard because I've been drinking a lot.
Quote by filthandfury
When I play guitar at parties, 90% of the time I fail hard because I've been drinking a lot.

Thing is, so has everyone else. You'll be a god in their eyes!
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by hardrock1315
Honestly, I agree with them. It's kind of obnoxious to play guitar at a party.

That really depends on whether people are singing along and joining in and stuff. Playing the guitar at people is quite annoying
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
Whenever I am at a party where there happens to be an acoustic guitar, a girl asked me to play something for her. So I go and play a nice acoustic song and the girls like it but my guy friends get PISSED for some reason. They won't shut up! They just tell me to stop playing. I am a good guitar player, it's not like I sound like absolute ass. Does anyone know what I can do?

Bag all the chicks you stud...that'll piss all of 'em off even more and reassure them that you're still THE man. Be a little modest about it. Tell the chicks you only pick it up on occasion and then play the absolute hardest song known to man (a musical one of course, not some mindless shred).
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
I'd rather not play, people come to me and say if I can play sweet child 'o mine on a spanish guitar, stay away from party guitar, goes always wrong, just look at KG in the Pick of Destiny

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
Include them? Play some songs they know? Ask them to help you sing?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I despise these people..it's like yeah, theres a guitar there, doesn't mean you have to pick it up and play it. Not everyones interested in playing whilst you could be getting drunk, ya here?
Why is everyone saying jealousy?

Does anyone ever stop to think that maybe it's just ANNOYING?

I mean, I'm not bashing playing guitar at parties and whatnot, but it's when and where you play it that matters. If someone is trying to have a conversation, and they can't hear one another because someone is playing a guitar nearby, it can get annoying.

Also, how has no one else mentioned Mike Birbiglia's "Guitar Guy at the Party" yet?

You should all be ashamed. There is no other song that fits this thread better.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
in my experience, i managed to woo the girls with 2 or 3 songs, but then them my roommate joins in and we end up singing though the entire songbook and generally scaring all of them off
There's a fine line between playing guitar at a party and being cool and playing guitar at a party and looking like a douchebag. It all depends on the environment and who's into it.
Quote by fallenangel20
Why is everyone saying jealousy?

Does anyone ever stop to think that maybe it's just ANNOYING?

I mean, I'm not bashing playing guitar at parties and whatnot, but it's when and where you play it that matters. If someone is trying to have a conversation, and they can't hear one another because someone is playing a guitar nearby, it can get annoying.

Also, how has no one else mentioned Mike Birbiglia's "Guitar Guy at the Party" yet?

You should all be ashamed. There is no other song that fits this thread better.
We posted at almost the same time, so I won't fault you for that. But I don't feel ashamed at all.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
We posted at almost the same time, so I won't fault you for that. But I don't feel ashamed at all.

Well you should.

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by gallagher2006
I despise these people..it's like yeah, theres a guitar there, doesn't mean you have to pick it up and play it. Not everyones interested in playing whilst you could be getting drunk, ya here?

Yea...I usually just pretend like I don't know how to play. And if somebody asks me to, I'll just tell them that I suck. At most, I'll just play one song.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
if a girl ever asks you to play a song an you want her really bad,play soul one by blind melon,just trust me
Well you probably sound terrible but you think you're good.

I'm suprised this alternative has not been suggested.....
Quote by -metalhead-
Jealous, no doubt, and you should just play if someone asks you to play.

Read before posting?

We've been there, done that, on the jealousy angle.
Don't compete with conversations.
Get EVERYONE involved.
Don't divert attention.
Make it a group thing, so everyone can enjoy it at the same time.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I made a song that basically goes like:

*chant person's name 8 times*
" *person's name* is the greatest friend! S/he's the greatest friend in the whole wide world!"

*repeat*

It's sung over a really catchy riff and we all sing along. Quite fun when drunk.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
probably just jealous if you're only playing one or two songs
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Page 1 of 2