Hey all. I'm looking to buy an Epiphone Prophecy Series SG GK (the one with the Dirty Fingers pick ups) - can anyone tell me what to expect from the guitar? I understand that it's meant to be versatile, but how will it hold up against time? I'm told that the Electronics and hardware in epiphone guitars won't last much longer than 5 years or so. Is this the case?

Also, on the subject of strings, I rarely downtune and if I do it's usually only a half step down or into drop D. So, if I wanted to use really high gauge strings on my guitar, with a lot of tension, would there be any advtantage to this? Would it make playing faster / easier / change the tone / whatever.

Cheers. And search bar wasn't too specific for you haters
I dunno bout the guitar, but heavier gauge strings will increase sustain and make the tone heavier and fuller, but bending and vibrato will be harder
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
So to get it straight, Heavier Gauge = More slim strings?

Or the other way round?
heavier guage means thicker, like 13 would be heavier guage compared to 9.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
I see. So I got the original thing in my post wrong, if I wanted to use extremely Light Gauge strings, would there be any advtantage to that?

Plus any input on the guitar is appreciated too.
Light gauge is pretty much the opposite...Less sustain, thinner sound but easier bending and vibrato and such
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
but thinner strings break easier aswell.
9s are a good solid guage imo, dont break so easy, comfortable to play. only real reason to get strings 12 or more if you downtune.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid