My local guitar store just got a used Peavey classic 50/410.

I went in an tried the amp and like the cleans but the gain was a little lacking.

Anyways they want $499.00 for the amp, it is pretty good shape but is this a very good price?

Chris
Not a bad price if its in really good condition and fairly new. What kinda of sound are you looking for? The Classic Peaveys are great for everything less than metal, if your looking for metal amp I would look else where. Also the gain channel is very senistive to your guitar, humbuckers make these amps have a lot more gain than single coils.
Price is a little high, but I'm sure he's negotiable.

I like the Peavey Classics, but I'd prefer the 2x12 to the 4x10. The problem with Peaveys is that their speakers really aren't the best. It's a lot cheaper to replace two 12's than four 10's, and you have a wider selection of 12" speakers to choose from, too. That would be a deciding factor for me, unless I was getting a killer deal on the 410 (which you really aren't).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
yes, i'd buy it. get a tubescreamer to go along with it for the extra gain you need
I play a wide range of styles from blues and classic rock to metal.

I liked the clean tones on this amp better than the Valve king, but like I said the gain was lacking for metal.

I am in the market for a new amp and would like to get a tube amp after only having SS amps in the past.

I also wasn't really sold on the 410 set up for the exact reasons that you mentioned.

I am thinking of offering them $350.00 for the amp and see what they say.

Thanks for the input.

Chris
Good luck, I doubt he will bite at that offer, unless he is desperate. I to like the 212 better than the 410, and really for a few dollars more you could buy a brand new C30 and have the full warenty and stuff. Its not a bad buy but I would just have to like the sound/feel of a 410 cab which I do not, but 499 is not a horible price. IMO
I got mine for 500.
But, mine had brand new, upgraded tubes (older versions had cheap chinese tubes or something like that. Mine came with JJ's all over the place). Plus, the old chassis design (the one without the big tacky logo) was a plus also. It was in tweed too. I couldn't pass it up.
That's a pretty good deal. Not the best, but nothing horrible either.
I got the 410 because I just like 10" speakers better. I play lead, so it's nice to have a tighter, more biting sound more focused to the mids and treble. A 212 would be better for rhythm players, or someone who wants more bass.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 24, 2008,
So what would be a good deal on an amp of this type?

Should I go to $400.00, or $450.00?

I want to be fair but don't want to get taken advantage of.

Chris
^ Really depends on the condition, If its near or like new, its probably worth 500-600, if its in pretty good shape 450-500. It really depends on a lot of variables when it comes to used stuff. At my local music store they have used C50 410 in pretty good condition, its looks like its been used for sure and its the older style, and its selling 499.95, this store is always real competive on that kind of stuff and I'm sure it is worth that to someone, although not to me, but someone in need, or looking for that imparticular amp. So really if its in near mint condition its really right where it should be, if its been loved on a little and shows sings of use but is still in good shape, I would offer him 400-425, near mint, 425-475 and remember you can always go up, and I don't think he would be offended by these offers at all.
Quote by Johnbryant
^ Really depends on the condition, If its near or like new, its probably worth 500-600, if its in pretty good shape 450-500. It really depends on a lot of variables when it comes to used stuff. At my local music store they have used C50 410 in pretty good condition, its looks like its been used for sure and its the older style, and its selling 499.95, this store is always real competive on that kind of stuff and I'm sure it is worth that to someone, although not to me, but someone in need, or looking for that imparticular amp. So really if its in near mint condition its really right where it should be, if its been loved on a little and shows sings of use but is still in good shape, I would offer him 400-425, near mint, 425-475 and remember you can always go up, and I don't think he would be offended by these offers at all.

Thank you very much, this has been very helpful.

Chris