MMkay.

im going to either go to guitar center or order some books online either today or tommorow.

these are the books i have purchased:

Speed mechanics for lead guitar

guitar grimoire - scales and modes

John petrucci's rock discipline

a cheap chord book titled "book of chords"

a book filled with scales,chords, and arpeggios titled "gig bag book of guitar complete" or something like that.

hal leonerd theory book complete

as for tabs im only practicing the colors album book by between the buried and me.

what im trying to ask is..do these books look like i have everything i need? i feel like i could use another chord book like the guitar grimoire one or that chord chemistry book. these are the topics i think i need some books on:

chords and voicings
technique(for stuff like legato,tapping,string skipping etc.)
improvising
and maybe another theory book?

any books that have helped you on these topics or you know well give me insight
btw im buying these to help me expand my practice schedule.
thanks alot.
What you have already is more than sufficient to have an excellent practice regiment.
the principles of correct practice for guitar by jamie andreas is a must read for every musician, it deals with posture, tension, slow practice and all that stuff
steve vai's 30 hour path to virtuoso enlightment is also useful
and check out my sig
Obvious question: have you actually read through and understood the ones you already have?

For technique though, I'd recommend Terry Syrek's Shred Is Not Dead. That book kicked my ass every day but made me a far better player.
Quote by ChavezDeluxe
MMkay.

im going to either go to guitar center or order some books online either today or tommorow.

these are the books i have purchased:

Speed mechanics for lead guitar

guitar grimoire - scales and modes

John petrucci's rock discipline

a cheap chord book titled "book of chords"

a book filled with scales,chords, and arpeggios titled "gig bag book of guitar complete" or something like that.

hal leonerd theory book complete

as for tabs im only practicing the colors album book by between the buried and me.

what im trying to ask is..do these books look like i have everything i need? i feel like i could use another chord book like the guitar grimoire one or that chord chemistry book. these are the topics i think i need some books on:

chords and voicings
technique(for stuff like legato,tapping,string skipping etc.)
improvising
and maybe another theory book?

any books that have helped you on these topics or you know well give me insight
btw im buying these to help me expand my practice schedule.
thanks alot.

For understanding all those books - get PlaneTalk.
the guitar grimoire...I always thought that book was counter-productive to understanding scales. anyway...for chords I highly recommend Jazz Guitar Series - Rhythm and Background Chords by Warren Nunes and Jerry Snyder. It's not a "learn jazz book" but rather a run through of almost all standard jazz voicings. Even if you're not into jazz the way the book is organized (reference style) makes it easy to find chords you want and easy to visualize how they're constructed and used. Hope it helps.

EDIT: and unlike the grimoire a working musician would be fluent with all the chords in that book...it skips all the more obscure chords. So it can't hurt to learn it.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Mar 24, 2008,