so my pesky 5150 combo that's been giving me so much grief has finally baffled me. the other day, i was jamming on it when all of a sudden i heard a very loud cracking popping noise. naturally i ran and flipped it back to standby and waited a little bit. when i then turned it back on, i heard yet another loud pop and a small cloud of smoke arose from the amp. i looked behind the amp where the tubes are and i could see that one of the power tubes was glowing much much brighter than the other. that same tube then proceeded to spark and pop and snap and flash. i turned into a dear caught in the headlights, i didn't think to turn it off so i just stood and watched in fear. after re-gaining composure i turned the amp off and unplugged it. i took a closer look at the tube in question and it had a big black burn mark on the side of it.

the next day, i had managed to forget about what happened and went to play my through my amp when to my surprise, i now only have two different volumes, bedroom volume and really fu(king loud. so should i now get new tubes? if so, what kind?

any help is appreciated.
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
yeahhhh id get new tubes..... go to the ultimate tube thred they will help your ass out
The same exact thing happened to me. First the volume started weirding out, then one of the tubes got red hot, then the fuse blew. Get new tubes and bring it to a tech to be biased.
Gibson.
yeah, i got replacement tubes today. but the volume problem still persists. could it be a wrong fuse or something?
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Get a new set of valves. The stock ones are crap anyway

YNGEDIT:
Strange...idk if you have to rebias the 5150?
It won't be the fuse though.

Just looked at your sig and you say you have a 5150 120 watt combo? Nuh, the combo is 60 watts
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
the preamp ones were pretty fresh, i got the amp used just a few months ago
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
bumpy mcbumpump
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Last edited by AUSTINZOR at Mar 25, 2008,
so, triple post, could it be an internal fuse or something of the sort?
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp: