Hi,

I bet you probably see threads like this everyday around here. But I really want to know if I'm doing the oscillatory picking correctly, because I've been playing for a year now using an awkward picking technique, which incorporated the use of thumb, index and middle fingers.

So I've made a video, to see if you guys can help me out. Sorry for the quality :p

http://www.box.net/shared/6dagemcdcg

I'll get it on youtube asap, but for now please check it and help me!
I ent downloading anything.

However if your picking technique feels uncomfortable to you change it.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Well, you seem to be using the oscillation muscles (large muscles in your forearm near the elbow). Now what you need to do is condition the movement very small so that you're not actually making a V motion with your picking, but merely using those muscles.

Also, I'd recommend holding your pick different. Have the pick between your thumb and the side of your index finger, not the flat of your index finger.
I've been reading this here: http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html

And it talks a lot about picking. I'm using Bensons style, which seems to be tip of thumb and flat of index. According to the author, it's the best style available, and Shawn Lane is a user of this style. The thing is I don't really like Lane's sound. But the normal picking technique gets hard for me. To get a lot of control, I have little pick sticking out, but then when I have to do chords, it's just impossible with so little material. And with lots of material sticking out, it gets impossible to play fast and accurate.

What do you guys recommend? Up to this point I've been using my own technique, but now it's hindering my progress, so I want to go with one that is granted to be better.
Don't press your arm/hand down on the guitar. Keep it loose and without tension. Slightly floating would be ideal. Also, minimize movement and keep your pick parallel to the strings and perpendicular to the guitar.

Right, that's about it.

edit: I just read part of that article. The technique (George Benson) he describes is nearly exactly the one I use. I can do pinch harmonics just fine though, but I hit them in a different way than usual.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Mar 24, 2008,
Hey Kanthras,

First of all, Good Morning Black Coffee... God, I just love Megadeth. My favourite band, you know.

Tell me, with that technique isn't it hard to play galloping? I find it difficult, still I've just started with it. And you probably do the harmonics the way I did with my previous technique, which is with the tip of the thumb/thumb nail, amirite?

And about floating... How can you play floating? I just miss the strings most of the time, and I end up having no idea where I am!
Quote by Zealot's Fire
I've been reading this here: http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html

And it talks a lot about picking. I'm using Bensons style, which seems to be tip of thumb and flat of index. According to the author, it's the best style available, and Shawn Lane is a user of this style. The thing is I don't really like Lane's sound. But the normal picking technique gets hard for me. To get a lot of control, I have little pick sticking out, but then when I have to do chords, it's just impossible with so little material. And with lots of material sticking out, it gets impossible to play fast and accurate.

What do you guys recommend? Up to this point I've been using my own technique, but now it's hindering my progress, so I want to go with one that is granted to be better.

One thing you have to understand is that the author is human just like the rest of us. He has opinions too. That doesn't necessarily make them right.

Shawn Lane didn't use a Benson style grip. Watch his videos. He floats above the strings and uses oscillation to pick through the strings.

Shawn Lane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOLZ6z959U8&feature=related

The pick is held between his thumb and side of his index finger.
Yes, you are right on that. I just figured that, since he's a teacher and has experience and I'm just a begginer, he's in a better position to tell me whats good or bad.

I'm just searching for something to tell me "OK, this is what you have to do, work it out" so I can spend my time doing something from which I will profit.
Quote by Zealot's Fire
Hey Kanthras,

First of all, Good Morning Black Coffee... God, I just love Megadeth. My favourite band, you know.

Tell me, with that technique isn't it hard to play galloping? I find it difficult, still I've just started with it. And you probably do the harmonics the way I did with my previous technique, which is with the tip of the thumb/thumb nail, amirite?

And about floating... How can you play floating? I just miss the strings most of the time, and I end up having no idea where I am!

Hey there fellow 'deth fan

I can gallop at the same speed as I alt pick, so I guess it's just practice. I actually do pinches with the side of the thumb, but much further towards the hand than normal. Using the tip is interesting though, I gotta try that sometime.

Floating just takes practice to develop arm control. I switched from anchoring to floating a while back and it took me a week to get any decent at it.

But what the guy above said is true as well. There isn't really an official "right" way to play with guitar, so try some styles and see which one you like.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Hey,

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to pratice floating and galloping then. Thanks a lot for the help