What would happen if I installed a 4 way switch into a Telecaster Custom '72, considering one pickup is already a humbucker? Would I get a really fat tone on the 4th selection, or would it not work? Also, what would happen if I took a normal tele and installed a 5 way switch? What are the benefits and what does the extra selection sound like? Also, is the 4th switch on the 4 way switch really worth it for a tele? I love teles but also a thicker humbucker sound. Will I get what I'm looking for?
A new switch on its own won't change the sound. A switch with more positions will allow more wiring patterns. You can do coil-taps or parallel wiring to get different sounds.

Replacing the switch will not make it sound thicker. By the way, even though the 72 tele has humbuckers, it's more jangly than thick sounding. I'd get a normal tele and mod it with DiMarzio pickups, or something.

EDIT: or get one of these
Last edited by sashki at Mar 24, 2008,
^agreed; the switch won't change the sound.

I suppose you could employ the use of a 4 pos. switch if you did the coil split mod to the WRHP in the neck, which won't thicken your sound; it'll just allow you to go into single coil neck pickup mode.

It would be pos 1- bridge, 2 both, 3 neck, 4 neck single coil

Other than that, I don't think you can do much more. Try looking in Seymour duncan's wiring guide. The mod might be there.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
the 4-way switch mod works the same way whether it is a humbucker or a single coil, putting any two pickups in series will sound fatter than the same two pickups in parallel. as for the 5-way switch, not sure about that, ill leave that one up to someone else
Oops...I forgot about the series/parallel wiring thing. Good call RW&B. Lots of possibilities out there for you anyway.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20