Page 1 of 7
Do you have any personal examples?

I've oftentimes thought about uploading a powertab of the Stele suite by Phillip Houghton, but I really do not want to dishonor the song and composer by both allowing the piece to come into the hands of the general public, and by removing certain funds that would have otherwise gone towards the composer/publisher.

In fact, there are some pieces, such as the Koyunbaba suite, that I feel should be removed from tab websites, such as this one.

What do y'all think?
My God, it's full of stars!
That's a good question. I don't think I'll ever try to tab Black Sabbath's Lonely Is the Word. It's the most emotion Iommi has put into a solo, a long one at that, and I don't want to see anyone play it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
if a tabbed it outmyself then I don't care, it was my work

its converting in from sheet music/magazines then....yeah, thats a bit more iffy
Quote by seljer
if a tabbed it outmyself then I don't care, it was my work

its converting in from sheet music/magazines then....yeah, thats a bit more iffy

Well I think it might be a different situation for each of those circumstances...

For my particular example, I have the sheet music for the piece and would have tabbed it out from that.

Quote by Mazzakazza
troll topic is fail ok?

Then get the fuck out of my thread, ok?
I don't agree, I think everything should be made available. You don't have to listen if someone murders a song.
Quote by Dreadnought
Come again, retard?

Theres no need to be so hostile.

I don't really think about tabs that way. You can't own music, its for everyone and anyone.
Quote by antman4
meh

Quote by Logan699p
meh

Quote by del monte
meh

Quote by -Bloo
meh

Quote by Mazzakazza
meh

The thought process of antman4 and Logan699p, del monte, Bloo, and Mazzakazza:

antman4: "I will go to an internet forum and display my below average intelligence."

Logan699p: "My intelligence is similar to that of antman4, so I will jump on the bandwagon and iterate the same thing mindlessly."

del monte: "My intelligence is similar to that of Logan699p, so I will jump on the bandwagon and iterate the same thing mindlessly."

Bloo: "My intelligence is similar to that of del monte, so I will jump on the bandwagon and iterate the same thing mindlessly."

Mazzakazza: "My intelligence is similar to that of Bloo, so I will jump on the bandwagon and iterate the same thing mindlessly."
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by Dreadnought
Come again, retard?

*Pictures Dreadnought furiously looking at his monitor and typing that response*.
666 BRO
Quote by DeSean
Theres no need to be so hostile.

I don't really think about tabs that way. You can't own music, its for everyone and anyone.

Eh? I've created certain pieces, do you not feel that I should have the right to own them and say what happens to their sheet music?

I don't write for anyone but myself.
Quote by Dreadnought
Then get the fuck out of my thread, ok?

dftt

Music is for everyone, not just the "cooler" or whoever. Spreading the music on is what really matters, if you just keep it to yourself just because you don't want people to know it is a little immature and selfish. Afterall, knowledge is free.
i have all of andy mckee and antoine dufours tabs, some nicholas barron tabs and some andy white tabs, none of which ill upload because the artists need the money they get from selling those tabs and i respect them as artists.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Wishing you had banpowers again, dready?

I don't tab alot, but I can imagine I wouldn't put some particular songs on here. Mostly pianoworks that just aren't the same on the guitar.

edit: cuz I suck so much at tabbing that I can't do justice to the pieces, I should've added. Clearly
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Mar 24, 2008,
Good question! To me, it doesn't make me think the same way you do about this to be honest. There are a few bands that no-one has tabbed out that are my favourite bands, and if someone showed the site that they know how to play one of their songs, I'd be happy.
meh
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Well, I can't tab, so I can't answer the question from that perspective.

However, there have been times when I've been hunting down a tab for a song for ages, something that I think sounds really good, and then I'm oddly disappointed to find out how easy it actually is to play. Almost like a magician showing you how he hovers, or something.
There are a couple of songs I'd like to have the tabs for, but I don't really feel they should be released into the public domain. Not for any real reason other than that I wouldn't want them to be overplayed.

Long slow distance by Dixie Dregs is one of those kinds of songs.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by mulletman500
I don't agree, I think everything should be made available. You don't have to listen if someone murders a song.

It's not just that, but sometimes I feel as if so much disrespect comes to a piece because of the way that it has been proliferated.

As a guitarist, there is something rewarding about knowing that after the long and arduous search for the music, the only way you can get it is to buy it directly from the person who wrote the piece. Having everything available on the internet is both a disrespect to the art of sheet music and to the scarcity of the brilliance within certain pieces.
Quote by Dreadnought

I've oftentimes thought about uploading a powertab of the Stele suite by Phillip Houghton, but I really do not want to dishonor the song and composer by both allowing the piece to come into the hands of the general public, and by removing certain funds that would have otherwise gone towards the composer/publisher.

In fact, there are some pieces, such as the Koyunbaba suite, that I feel should be removed from tab websites, such as this one.

What do y'all think?

i think youre a tad arrogant

Quote by Dreadnought
Come again, retard?

now i think youre an asshat
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
no cuz i get pissed when there isnt a tab to something i need
Quote by cliff_em_all
cof_median11 is a Child Rapist.

Quote by blink day 4 eva
Theres a mosquito that lives in my room and i let him bite me all the time and i let him live. It's our special deal. His name is "The Dude".

Quote by Babbs
cof_median11, you sick ****.
Quote by Dreadnought
Eh? I've created certain pieces, do you not feel that I should have the right to own them and say what happens to their sheet music?

I don't write for anyone but myself.

No, I don't. Countless times I've came up with a funky riff, and a friend has been like " you gotta show me how to play that!".
I don't reply with something like "How about no, you retard. I made it and there ain't no one else allowed to play it!"

I'll show them how to play it, and not be so arrogant.
Is it hard to breathe with your head so far up your ass? I mean you post in a forum notorious for irreverence and wise remarks and then rip on people when they dont agree with your opinion. You're entitled to yours just as much as they are to their's, so maybe just chill.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i think youre a tad arrogant

now i think youre an asshat

Care to tell me why you think that I'm arrogant?

And would you also care to tell me why you prove yourself to be an idiot by supporting someone who blatantly spammed?
Quote by Dreadnought

What do y'all think?
Tough question, isn't it?

Where do you draw the line?

What makes one composer or their work, worthy of special treatment?

Sorry if that wasn't much of an answer, but it's the best I have.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by OneRust
Is it hard to breathe with your head so far up your ass? I mean you post in a forum notorious for irreverence and wise remarks and then rip on people when they dont agree with your opinion. You're entitled to yours just as much as they are to their's, so maybe just chill.

I haven't bashed anyone who disagreed, only those who have spammed for the purpose of spamming.
Quote by DeSean
No, I don't. Countless times I've came up with a funky riff, and a friend has been like " you gotta show me how to play that!".
I don't reply with something like "How about no, you retard. I made it and there ain't no one else allowed to play it!"

I'll show them how to play it, and not be so arrogant.

I usually say "you are not worthy of hearing or playing this wonderful riff."
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by OneRust

+1
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by rworsl
Not for any real reason other than that I wouldn't want them to be overplayed.

Well it's not like the minute you post the tab everyone on the internet will know and learn it right away. And plus the only way to "overplay" it in the sense of a lot of airtime/youtube covers/etc is for someone to go as far as learning all of it and you know recording it and posting it.
I don't think making the composition available for the public is disrespectful. Actually, it should be an honor to have your music taught to others, so it can be fully understood. If you don't think so, then you're a pretensious prick (not the person who tabbed it, the artist).

Plus, are you really making that person poor by tabbing their music? Anyone who makes music that's not done for popular airplay isn't relying on it for their sole source of income.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Tough question, isn't it?

Where do you draw the line?

What makes one composer or their work, worthy of special treatment?

Sorry if that wasn't much of an answer, but it's the best I have.

Well no I think that's a great question, because I don't claim to have the answer and I'm asking the same thing.

If someone were to withhold from tabbing or making publically available a certain piece, however, I would not hold it against them if they did it to honor the piece and its composer.