I know mg's seem to have bad reputations, I didn't know before I got one just a few months ago, but I'm already having my first issue.

I don't know if anyone has had a similar problem or knows somewhat of what I'm talking about, but basically the sound is not nearly as loud as it once was. It happened (I think) basically when it got unplugged while it was on, sort of the equivalent of a power outage. A fuse or something blew in a bass amp which was plugged in to the same power strip and I don't know if they're connected, but the bass amp doesn't turn on now and the volume on the marshall is not nearly as powerful. I noticed the change in volume almost simultaneously I'm pretty sure and now after the fact and a few days later, the same volume settings which once were too loud to listen to without ear plugs don't phase me at all. Even cranked up almost all the way it doesn't get that loud. Am I just going crazy or does this make sense?
my mgs fine with a little help from some pedals

oh yeh that doesny make sense, it should lose how loud it can go
unless it was a power surge (could be why the bass amp blew a fuse) i don't understand how it happened, but MG's are unreliable amps, they tend to have a lot of problems like this.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
change out the....oh wait.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by rbf737
I know mg's seem to have bad reputations, I didn't know before I got one just a few months ago, but I'm already having my first issue.

I don't know if anyone has had a similar problem or knows somewhat of what I'm talking about, but basically the sound is not nearly as loud as it once was. It happened (I think) basically when it got unplugged while it was on, sort of the equivalent of a power outage. A fuse or something blew in a bass amp which was plugged in to the same power strip and I don't know if they're connected, but the bass amp doesn't turn on now and the volume on the marshall is not nearly as powerful. I noticed the change in volume almost simultaneously I'm pretty sure and now after the fact and a few days later, the same volume settings which once were too loud to listen to without ear plugs don't phase me at all. Even cranked up almost all the way it doesn't get that loud. Am I just going crazy or does this make sense?

You should probably get it looked at by a shop, it was probably a power surge or something that did it for both amps, rather than the bass amp being responsible.

All you other guys are being pricks. A tenner says this guy has a bigger dong than you and is better at guitar.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Brendan.Clace
change out the....oh wait.....

I was just thinking that.
And nice, I lol'd.

I dunno, typical MG behavior?
MG's don't just have bad tone... They're unreliable too.
Get it looked at by a shop maybe?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by CanCan
Or, you fell out of your honeymoon phase.

Exactly.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

The MG refuses to go any louder because it fears being heard by the tube amplifiers. MGs dont like when they are pointed and laughed at.
Quote by timi_hendrix
You should probably get it looked at by a shop, it was probably a power surge or something that did it for both amps, rather than the bass amp being responsible.

All you other guys are being pricks. A tenner says this guy has a bigger dong than you and is better at guitar.

your mom and my band disagree.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
your mom and my band disagree.

*slow clap*

Really. Top marks. If that was any more original I'd have fainted.

There's no need to come in here and make a load of snide comments about his amp, you've probably driven him away and all he wanted was help.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix

i assume i must be an exception to all the "other guys" since you practically repeated what i said
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i assume i must be an exception to all the "other guys" since you practically repeated what i said

Yep. I thought it was quite sly plagiarism myself

Edit so I don't spam this up any more:

Quote by xwearesinking
hahahahahahahahaha

Says Mr Crate Flexwave.

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by timi_hendrix
*slow clap*

Really. Top marks. If that was any more original I'd have fainted.

There's no need to come in here and make a load of snide comments about his amp, you've probably driven him away and all he wanted was help.

Tim being... ugh... helpful?
Quote by timi_hendrix

I applaud you man...

It's entirely true... Guys that have problems with amps like the MG or the Line 6 Spider come here for assistance and submit a thread asking for help on these forums and all they get is harassed for the gear that they own... It's like people go out of their way to stop in and leave a comment that berates someone and their gear...

So what if someone owns a Spider or an MG? All they wanted was some help, and these gear snobs have nothing to do to make themselves feel better than put someone elses gear down.... It's sad.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by Chaosinborn
The MG refuses to go any louder because it fears being heard by the tube amplifiers. MGs dont like when they are pointed and laughed at.

hahahahahahahahaha

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Reildeal
I applaud you man...

It's entirely true... Guys that have problems with amps like the MG or the Line 6 Spider come here for assistance and submit a thread asking for help on these forums and all they get is harassed for the gear that they own... It's like people go out of their way to stop in and leave a comment that berates someone and their gear...

So what if someone owns a Spider or an MG? All they wanted was some help, and these gear snobs have nothing to do to make themselves feel better than put someone elses gear down.... It's sad.

...you know you're laughing inside.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
...you know you're laughing inside.

Not really man... Not my gig to make fun of people for the gear that they have....

My opinion is that if someone digs the amp they have, then more power to them... This kid has a problem with his, and he needed some advice... that's it....

And I second taking it to a shop to have it looked at.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by timi_hendrix
Yep. I thought it was quite sly plagiarism myself

Edit so I don't spam this up any more:

Says Mr Crate Flexwave.

damn straight.

250$ new, and i can get it to sound like Misery Signals' Of Malice and the Magnum heart.

wasn't really looking for too much more than that/ didnt have the money for more than that either way. for a beginner guitarist i was pretty pleased.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

well if the bass amp blew a fuse, why not try checking the fuse in the MG? since the MG is known as unreliable you may have shorted something/melted a chip with the power surge. if you shorted/blew a gain stage that could account for the loss of volume. i wouldnt think the amp would still work if you did that, but who knows.

anyway, anyone else who starts making jokes in this thread gets a warning. its one thing if the ts asks for advice on an amp to buy and you tell him you dont like it. its a horse of a different color if you decide to bash the amp when there is a problem with it that the ts wants help fixing.
hahaha nice comments xD I have a MG as well so I can say they are right :P just the amp you buy when you have no experience with amps, and you see a big cheap amp with MAAAAAARRSSSSSSHAAAAALLLL in big neon lights on it, so you buy it, then you know something about it, and you seek out the most crappy looking (best sounding) amp, now only thing left to do is to sell the damn thing and try amps out like hell
Check out my band (epic folk/death metal) at www.amorgen.org and add us to your favorite social networks!

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG 2620
ENGL Powerball 2
ENGL 2 x 12" PRO Slanted E212VH
TC Electronic G-major 2
Behringer FCB1010
MG's were made when chuck norris stuck his fist dick into jim marshall and 8 months later the Mg was born.
SS stuff is really susceptible to power surges. Doesnt take much to screw up a chip. If it wasted the bass amp then theres a good chance it screwed up your MG to. As for getting it fixed could be pretty hard to do. Unless its something obvious it might take quite a bit of testing and therefore money to pinpoint the problem. And then even getting the part might be an issue. Alot of shops wont be able to work on em anyways. Working on guitars and tube amps is alot different than working on computers.
this would give you an excuse to save up for a new amp... just kidding. take it into a shop or something or try trading it in for a new one at the place you got it at
Quote by timi_hendrix

A tenner says that when I bought my amp I did some reasearch first and didnt just buy the first amp I came across in my price range beacue "Its a MArshall stack!!!11"
Quote by stangconv
A tenner says that when I bought my amp I did some reasearch first and didnt just buy the first amp I came across in my price range beacue "Its a MArshall stack!!!11"

I agree fully, but I can't pretend I would have known any better when I was starting guitar, or for some time afterwards. And remember some people might actually like the amp - some people buy with their ears, rather than just what they read on internet forums. If I believed everything on UG, I'd probably own a Schecter C-1, Peavey Classic 30 and a Digitech Bad Monkey. Okay, sometimes you'll grow to realise your ears have improved since you first bought the amp, and then it's time to engage in a little buying and selling until you're happy. Sometimes internet forums and word-of-mouth can circumvent the whole trial-and-error process, but most musicians - like everyone else - have to learn from their mistakes.

Remember it's the companies making this crap who're at fault, not the people buying it.

Anyway, rant notwithstanding, MGs are somewhat....unreliable, and repairs to budget solid state amps are too complicated to be cost-effective, so it might be time to look for a new amp. If a change of fuse doesn't work, open up the amp and lok for any obvious signs of damage. I doubt you'll spot anything though, and there's no harm in taking it to a tech to at least get a rough quote.
yeah...you know...nobody asked if you guys like marshall mgs...i think people that post unrelated things in threads should be banned, but thats just me. i have never heard about this problem before. the first thing i would do is make sure my gutiar input jack is screwed in tight, and my chords are good. if you guitar sounds good on another amp, then yeah, get you amp checked out. but dude, guitar shops arent reliable becasue they're just gonna tell you, that they have to do about 10 fold of what they acually need to do just to get your money. your better off just emailing marshall customer support first. then do something else. dont ask ug. half of these foo's cant play anything on a guitar. they bought a guitar, learned a chord, then thought it would be cool to join an internet forum. they are most likely left winged, acne ridden, virgin, horney 14 year olds that think its cool to legalize marijuana and that they're cool for getting on the internet and saying your amp is bad. theres probably 1 out of 1000 people on here that are acually reliable. email marshall customer support. go from there.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
^

+1
Check out my band (epic folk/death metal) at www.amorgen.org and add us to your favorite social networks!

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG 2620
ENGL Powerball 2
ENGL 2 x 12" PRO Slanted E212VH
TC Electronic G-major 2
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by timi_hendrix

I thought SS half-stacks were for people with small dongs?