I need some help; I want to compose a piece for my girlfriend without any lyrics, just guitar. I am not sure how to start writing music but I've been playing for two years now and it'd be nice if someone could help me. I don't know any theory except for some scales and chords. I'm having writers block on guitar and I can't think of anything.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
good love songs are in g.
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
use like a EM7 progression and base some riffs on that chord, and maybe switch to b minor, then c then g.
-John Bunyan
Use the major scale, maybe the lydian mode for some parts of it. Use major chords and the authentic cadence. This would give you a pretty "happy" sounding love song.
any explanations for someone who doesn't understand some of the things you guys just said?
Quote by NGD1313

bump
Quote by NGD1313

heres the first chord

E)-3-
B)-3-
G)-0-
D)-2-
A)-2-
E)-0-

the second

E)-3-
B)-3-
G)-0-
D)-2-
A)-3-
E)---

the third i a g, if u dont know that than you shouldnt have joined this site dude i mean come on. and heres the fourth

E)-3-
B)-3-
G)-2-
D)-0-
A)-x-
E)-2-

mess with those and throw in a

E)-2-
B)-3-
G)-4-
D)-4-
A)-2-

just play around with that strusture make it sound good. listen to the song on my mp3s if u need some help.
-John Bunyan
I know chords but "Use the major scale, maybe the lydian mode for some parts of it. Use major chords and the authentic cadence. This would give you a pretty "happy" sounding love song." I dont understand that.
Quote by NGD1313

Quote by matteo cubano

*random chords*

Sounds like something by City and Colour, and totally unoriginal.

There's a nice progression for the chorus of Mellotron Scratch by Porcupine Tree (Deadwing, 2005):

--0--1--0--3-------
--3--1--1--3-------
--2--0--0--0-------
--0--0--2--0-------
-----1--0--2-----
-----------3---

Dsus2
Bb6add9
Am7
G
Last edited by Avedas at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by Gorre
I know chords but "Use the major scale, maybe the lydian mode for some parts of it. Use major chords and the authentic cadence. This would give you a pretty "happy" sounding love song." I dont understand that.

You need to learn the major scale if you don't already know it. An authentic cadence is a V-I chord movement and I won't try to explain the lydian mode if you dont already know the major scale.