Please?
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
A cadence is just a countdown to starting usually the drummer hitting his sticks saying 1 2 3 ready go.

As for a phrase i don't really have a good way to define it.
Gear
Washburn Lyon
Squier P-Bass
Fender 15B amp
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Boss TD-2 Turbo Distortion
I know I'm a Distortion Whore.
Quote by MasterDeathJ117
A cadence is just a countdown to starting usually the drummer hitting his sticks saying 1 2 3 ready go.

As for a phrase i don't really have a good way to define it.

That's not a cadence. A cadence is a series of intervals and/or chords that lead to an ending of a section or piece of music; depending on the type of cadence used, you'll know whether the composer intends to continue or finish the piece.

A phrase (I would say) is a self-contained musical idea with a clear beginning and end continued for a short to medium amount of time. It's probably a vague definition though.

EDIT: KryptNet, I'll assume you were indicating the post above me?
^^whoa, don't listen to that.

A phrase is kinda of a musical "thought" or passage that ends in cadence. It is best heard not described but is usually 4 measures in length.

Cadence is a like a comma in a sentence - a short pause that concludes a phrase to add emphasis just like a comma or even a period. There are several types of traditional cadences that each have a certain "feel" to them.

That's a really rough explanation so ask if you need clarification.

EDIT: damnit :-D you posted like a second before me. That's okay...now you deserve the "^^whoa, don't listen to that" comment. bahaha

EDIT: damnit :-D you edited your post like a second before me.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
alright

but what about half, perfect cadences and etc???

I was at the doctors when we went over this in class so...

well my teacher gave me a piece of sheet music and I'm supposed identify the phrases and cadences and then based on the chords used identify what type of cadence it is

?
Quote by TDKshorty
alright

but what about half, perfect cadences and etc???

I was at the doctors when we went over this in class so...

well my teacher gave me a piece of sheet music and I'm supposed identify the phrases and cadences and then based on the chords used identify what type of cadence it is

?

A half cadence ends on the V chord, it's considered the weakest cadence because it gives a suspended sound. A deceptive cadence goes from V to any chord other than I (I in major, i in minor). A plagal cadence goes from IV to I.

The simplest explanation of a perfect authentic cadence: the chords are in root position and the tonic is the highest note and you go from either V->I in a major key or V->i in a minor key. An imperfect authentic cadence (IAC) has multiple varieties, for example a root position IAC has a note other than the tonic as the high note. If one or more of the chords in a perfect authentic cadence is inverted, it becomes an inverted IAC. Finally, a leading tone IAC replaces the V with a vii (diminished, I can't make the symbol) but still resolves to I.
don't forget the phrygian cadence iv6-V and the half cadence which is ?-V
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
don't forget the phrygian cadence iv6-V and the half cadence which is ?-V

The Phrygian half cadence is used in minor keys, just to specify that; thanks for adding it. The half cadence I mentioned above.
To simplify:
I-V = half cadence
V-I = ending with tonic in melody = PAC
V-I = anything other then tonic = IAC
IV-I = plagal cadence
V-(chord other then I or V) = deceptive cadence

I don't think it's gonna get any more complex then that. I doubt the plagal or deceptive will even come up.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
To simplify:
I-V = half cadence
V-I = ending with tonic in melody = PAC
V-I = anything other then tonic = IAC
IV-I = plagal cadence
V-(chord other then I or V) = deceptive cadence

I don't think it's gonna get any more complex then that. I doubt the plagal or deceptive will even come up.

they did

isnt the deceptive where you think it ends on V but its like ii? or something like that
Quote by TDKshorty
they did

isnt the deceptive where you think it ends on V but its like ii? or something like that

It can be, it just goes from V to anything other than I.
Quote by TDKshorty
they did

ooph, sorry. But at least your teacher is teaching it right then. I find that classical composers prefer the V-IV deceptive cadence.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
ooph, sorry. But at least your teacher is teaching it right then. I find that classical composers prefer the V-IV deceptive cadence.

That's probably the most common one I've personally seen.
So I'm in the key of Gm and I have a I VII vi III
I think

what would that be?
what the hell? I mean VII vi would be a deceptive cadence but then a III? did you do the roman numeral analysis or did the teacher? cause that is not a cadence.

If you did the analysis, could you have missed a pivot chord?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
what the hell? I mean VII vi would be a deceptive cadence but then a III? did you do the roman numeral analysis or did the teacher? cause that is not a cadence.

If you did the analysis, could you have missed a pivot chord?

pivot chord?

i dnno, I did the analysis, but I have a D in that class, it's hard to me

but I stopped caring about school and my GPA dropped from a 3.7 to a 1.1
sorry to hear it man. your heading toward academic probation huh?

Either you did the analysis wrong or you missed a small modulation into another tonality which is often done at cadences around a "pivot chord" which is a chord shared by both the main key and "borrowed" key. It's a kinda like borrowed tonalities<- but if you haven't learned those things yet, I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe the teacher was a dick and wanted you to say that there was no cadence?

I suggest you start caring about school man.

EDIT: and theory is REALLY hard to me too. so don't feel too bad.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Mar 24, 2008,
well there are for chords, they're all 7ths

the notes are

Chord
1 Bb B G D
2 A C F# C
3 G D G B
4 D D F# A#

then I have 13 more to do
Quote by TDKshorty
well there are for chords, they're all 7ths

the notes are

Chord
1 Bb B G D
2 A C F# C
3 G D G B
4 D D F# A#

then I have 13 more to do
didn't you say this was in gmin? first off, they're not 7th chords. They're just triads.

but it "looks" like i - vii - i - V (half cadence in Gmin)except for that A# which doesn't fit in place. Are you sure about that?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
didn't you say this was in gmin? first off, they're not 7th chords. They're just triads.

but it "looks" like i - vii - i - V (half cadence in Gmin)except for that A# which doesn't fit in place. Are you sure about that?

well it has 2 flats, so I thought it would be B major but there was a Gm under it so i dnno
Bb major man...which is the relative major of Gmin. It accounts for the raised 7th F#. But not for a raised 2nd(A#)
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by TDKshorty
So I'm in the key of Gm and I have a I VII vi III
I think

what would that be?

I think it is a plagal cadence if you call it BbMaj instead of Gminor
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Cadence is about the ending of the music. For example, if you are in the key of G Major, the chords are:

G Major (I) , A Minor (ii) , B Minor (iii) , C Major (IV) , D Major (V) , E Minor (vi) , F# Diminished (vii° , and back to G Major (I).

There are four (?) types of cadences: Authentic, Half, Plagal, and Deceptive.

Let's start with Authentic Cadence:
Your Chord Progression would be G --> C --> D --> G. Note that you start from G Major and you have gone back to G major. It sounds complete and solid. That is a Perfect Authentic Cadence. I'm not really good at Imperfect Authentic Cadence, it involves inverted chords, and some other crap.

Now we have Half Cadence:
It always ends at V chord. For example, you got a progression G --> C --> Am --> D. You see, you end at the V chord, or the fifth chord, or the dominant chord.
This type of cadence sounds incomplete and weak.

Plagal Cadence:
IV --> V. For example, G --> C ---> G. You probably hear this a lot in churches.

Let's discuss Deceptive Cadence - my favourite
The ending starts from the V chord, and it would lead to any chord except the I chord. And thus, it is deceptive. Why? Human ears expect to hear the G chord (I) after the D chord (V). And composers do exactly the opposite, they would stick another chord except G or (I), and the ending sounds very unexpected and, in some degree, weird.
Example: G --> Am --> D --> Am
peanuts and beers
Quote by Infatuation
Cadence is about the ending of the music. For example, if you are in the key of G Major, the chords are:

G Major (I) , A Minor (ii) , B Minor (iii) , C Major (IV) , D Major (V) , E Minor (vi) , F# Diminished (vii° , and back to G Major (I).

There are four (?) types of cadences: Authentic, Half, Plagal, and Deceptive.

Let's start with Authentic Cadence:
Your Chord Progression would be G --> C --> D --> G. Note that you start from G Major and you have gone back to G major. It sounds complete and solid. That is a Perfect Authentic Cadence. I'm not really good at Imperfect Authentic Cadence, it involves inverted chords, and some other crap.

Now we have Half Cadence:
It always ends at V chord. For example, you got a progression G --> C --> Am --> D. You see, you end at the V chord, or the fifth chord, or the dominant chord.
This type of cadence sounds incomplete and weak.

Plagal Cadence:
IV --> V. For example, G --> C ---> G. You probably hear this a lot in churches.

Let's discuss Deceptive Cadence - my favourite
The ending starts from the V chord, and it would lead to any chord except the I chord. And thus, it is deceptive. Why? Human ears expect to hear the G chord (I) after the D chord (V). And composers do exactly the opposite, they would stick another chord except G or (I), and the ending sounds very unexpected and, in some degree, weird.
Example: G --> Am --> D --> Am
Hey great lesson man!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination