We've all done it; taking a metre stick (yard stick for you yanks) and balanced it on our hand.

It's easier to do if there's a weight at the top, also. For example, a lacrosse stick is easier to balance if the head is at the top, rather than balancing with the head in your hands.

Why is that?
Levers and center of mass. Go read about it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Levers and center of mass. Go read about it.

Also, torque is something you should look up while you are at it.
Quote by tylerishot
We've all done it; taking a metre stick (yard stick for you yanks) and balanced it on our hand.

It's easier to do if there's a weight at the top, also.
For example, a lacrosse stick is easier to balance if the head is at the top, rather than balancing with the head in your hands.

Why is that?

Wrong, the lower the center of mass, the more stabile something is. In the case of the lacrosse stick, it's because it's arched and hardly touches your hand.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
Wrong, the lower the center of mass, the more stabile something is. In the case of the lacrosse stick, it's because it's arched and hardly touches your hand.

But it's easier to find a center of gravity to use if there's weight at the top as opposed to not having a weight at all.
Quote by stringmagician
But it's easier to find a center of gravity to use if there's weight at the top as opposed to not having a weight at all.

No. Finding the center of gravity of an object without a weight on top is far easier. Given constant density, it's smack dab in the centroid. If it is a variable density, a simple integral can give you the answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass

Look at the definition of center of mass.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Mar 24, 2008,
I'll take Penis Jokes for $500, Mr. Trebek.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by darkstar2466
No. Finding the center of gravity of an object without a weight on top is far easier. Given constant density, it's smack dab in the centroid. If it is a variable density, a simple integral can give you the answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass

Look at the definition of center of mass.

Alright, I know what center of mass is, finding the exact center pf a meter stick is more confusing than finding the center of mass if there's a weight on top. Once you add the weight, the center of mass is right between the stick and the weight, or very near it.

Stop running on theory and try it