hey guys, i recently signed up for guitar lessons, ive been playing a about 6 months and im really lacking with the book work that comes with playing guitar ( theory ) I was wondering how do guitar lessons work? do they just teach you the whole time, or do they give you a bunch of homework to practice or what? thanks.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
He'll show you scales, chords and songs as well as where the notes are on the fretboard.

He'll give you the things to study.

They're only half an hour so they don't really have enough time to cram too much stuff.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yes they do!
if he or she is a decent teacher they will go over things that the book might not explain clearly or teach you how to play songs etc, they might give you "homework" to practice what you learnt or were doing that lesson but thats usually about it
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
He'll show you scales, chords and songs as well as where the notes are on the fretboard.

They're only half an hour so they don't really have enough time to cram too much stuff.

Not to mention he'll charge you an arm and a leg and teach you marry had a little lamb for quite a while
Quote by Tirkaz
Not to mention he'll charge you an arm and a leg and teach you marry had a little lamb for quite a while

Beg to differ.
My first guitar instructor taught me Nirvana on my first lesson.
I highly recommend that everyone interested in making money online join this site.

<3
if he's good then he'll probably ask you to show him what you can do the 1st lesson
once he get's a good feel for where you're at then he'll start teaching you scales, chords, etc.
basically whatever you ask him/her about
unless you're 12 in which case have fun playing twinkle, twinkle

I usually just end up jamming at my lessons these days haha

edit: and you will probably get homework/a practice routine assigned
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Overpriced and underworked. Go buy a theory book at Barnes & Noble - there's one called theory for the contemporary guitarist that's really good - has quizzes and everything in it. Reliable info can be found in books and with a little extra work, can save you a ton of cash and time.
Quote by zian615
Beg to differ.
My first guitar instructor taught me Nirvana on my first lesson.

If all you're going to lessons for is to have someone teach you how to play songs, why not just take the time to figure it out on your own and develope your ear, which is invaluable anyway?
Ask musicians who the best guitarists/teachers are in your area. Get lessons from these guitarists who will actually give you your money's worth. Getting lessons at a guitar shop is usually a waste of time and money.

Edit: Forgot to mention, don't get lessons from some rock guitarist in some band. Try and get lessons from a guitarist who plays classical or jazz guitar. If you learn those styles well, you can play any rock music, whether it's GNR, Nirvana, Metallica; it'll all be easy for you.
Got Bass?
Last edited by DoctrDrew116 at Mar 24, 2008,
It really depends on the teacher. He'll most likely cover everything from basic excercises to scales, chords, theory, etc. If you're lucky, you'll get a guitar teacher that makes you think because if you have to think on your own, you'll develop your own opinions about various scales, modes, cords or whatever. You'll be able to understand what you're playing rather than just blindly playing. You haven't been playing for too long, so let me say this. Accept any challenges you're faced with, and rise to beat the challenge. Don't ever take the easy way out with it. You will hit ruts, but don't let that phase you, Carry on!
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
complete waste of money.

unless you are inept and cannot read simple theory books/articles there is NO reason to get a teacher for it.

if you do end up getting a teacher, make sure it isnt a worthless one. my friend is adamant about getting a teacher, so far hes tried 5 diff ones, and was better than all of them.

he clearly told him what he knew, what he wanted to learn etc...and still they lied etc, and turned out to suck.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
A good teacher is well worth it. I took lessons for about 5 months and I had an excellent teacher who taught me to think for myself and forced me to understand what I was doing besides playing notes.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
A good teacher is well worth it. I took lessons for about 5 months and I had an excellent teacher who taught me to think for myself and forced me to understand what I was doing besides playing notes.

you needed a teacher to make you think for yourself ?

in the end it is yOUR decision whether or not you want to understand the songs you play. its simple theory, it just take time.

I dont know why anyone would need a teacher for that.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by nvranka
you needed a teacher to make you think for yourself ?

in the end it is yOUR decision whether or not you want to understand the songs you play. its simple theory, it just take time.

I dont know why anyone would need a teacher for that

Because having an experienced musician who knows what they are doing is incredibly useful. You can engage with them on a first hand basis and they provide a dynamic learning environment. You can ask them questions and they can show you how to play the way YOU want to play.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

or she man. Keep an open mind.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Haha, all those people going "Buy books, etc. less ons are stupid"

So absolutely wrong, if y0ou have a good teacher they are very helpful.

These days my lessons go like this, we jam for 15 min, he teaches me more theory, practice that, and then the lesson ends
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Teh GIR

These days my lessons go like this, we jam for 15 min, he teaches me more theory, practice that, and then the lesson ends

Exactly.

A book cant teach you like an actual person.

Plus its more fun.
basically i opted to go for lessons because i dont want to read books, im more of a visual person, and i cant learn a lot from reading.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
Teaches you scales chords and useful warm up excercises. My teacher also do some backlights so i can practise solos which is extremly useful in finding when to you what and how it fight with the background music.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Teh GIR

Different things work better for different people. Thinking that everyone only learns best one way is not only stupid, but ignorant as well. You can do it either way, this asked for opinion and experiences, and that's what it got. Calm down man - there's more than one way.
Way too short. By the time I sit down, i'm already out the door...

Yes, my teacher is a good teacher

I have to practice the Am scale (3 positions) and alternate picking, and I have to learn Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance.