so recently my friends and i have put together a band. the only problem is, the rhythm guitarist (who happened to have the idea for it isnt that good. he cant really keep up. I'm the bassist, but i could easily cover rhythm guitar, or at least the songs we're doing (we're playing easy aerosmith, ac/dc, guns n roses, velvet revolver, etc...). So far we've gotten about 3 easy songs down in 3 songs (back in black, dream on, tnt) but he has trouble with it. the lead guitarist has played guitar for 2 years, I have played bass for 2 years and guitar for a year, the drummer has only been playing drums for a few months but is divinely inspired and our vocalist has been singing since last year september. what should we do? the problem gets worse because the vocalist is really close with the rhythym guitarist, and might leave if he is forced to, and there isnt really anyone else we can get to sing as well. also, we're all really close friends, and none of us want to hurt his feelings or **** up our friendship over music. I just dont think he's ready for it yet, but when school starts back up in september after summer break this year he probably will be. i dont think we can just kick him out. THe lead guitarist and I were discussing me switching to rhythm and him to bass, because its a little easier, especially for teh songs we've worked on so far, but we're not to sure because you need a good sense of timing and internal beat for bass when playing live, and we're not sure if he can manage that either. Also, i dont think he realizes how hes not keeping up, and we dont wanna point it out cuz he has a short temper.
your band wont get anywhere really, so just stick with it as it is. he'll get better faster when he's playing with people, and then you can all move on to better bands if you want
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Such a common problem that requires finesse. But you have to get rid of him. Especially if he's not willing to listen/has a short temper. It will do nothing but hold you back in songwriting, practicing, gigging, and recording.

If you can do a succesful instrument swap...do it. Talk to your singer about how your guitarist sucks. I find it always helps when you slowly over about 2weeks give little hints that he's gonna get booted. Then lay it on him.

Hopefully it won't wreck your friendship but what has to be done has to be done. And it's good practice cuz you'll be doing it for every single band you'll ever be in.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
you shouldn't do these cuz that 'rhythm guitarist' could find this.... like what happened to another fellow UG'er about a month ago.
o that sucks... ya we kinda have the same problem with our rythem guitarist and just like u we r close friends... we told him that we are kicking him outta the band and we said we didnt need him till he is better so hes practiced a **** load just to be back in and hes pretty good now... its just that r bassist is horrible. sorry if that didnt help u any but i think u should just temporaraly kick him out and if he gets better then let him rejoin, if not find some one else
thats wat i said to the lead guitarist, kick him out temporarily. in the end though, i really dont know what to do, because the lead guitarist and drummer are leaving in august this year (going to live in denmark and sweden). I know that he can become an AMAZING (by our standards) rhythm guitarist by that time, but right now he jsut cant.
lol..... same thing hapened 2 me...... we kicked his arse out tho cos he really was shocking playing as a 3 man was so much more punishing tho..... specially wen it was guitar, drums and vocals
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
would that work though? like just having 1 guitarist? i have never heard any of the songs we've played played without another guitarist backing up the lead guiarist during solos and ****.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
thats wat i said to the lead guitarist, kick him out temporarily. in the end though, i really dont know what to do, because the lead guitarist and drummer are leaving in august this year (going to live in denmark and sweden). I know that he can become an AMAZING (by our standards) rhythm guitarist by that time, but right now he jsut cant.

wow that sucks... i think its best to just go ahead and get a new guitarist and drummer now so when they do leave ull atleast have something to go off of.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
would that work though? like just having 1 guitarist? i have never heard any of the songs we've played played without another guitarist backing up the lead guiarist during solos and ****.

ya solos dont sound good at all unless u have either another guitar backing it up or a really good bass to it... and plus it would be really hard to just have one guitar in live shows and stuff like that
If you want to become succesful and want to take the band to high heights, then you have to think about finding a replacement. On the other hand, if your just doing it for fun and actually enjoy jamming with him, even though he may not be up to scratch, then don't get rid of him. Just encourage him to practise more, or switch roles. But don't do something you wont enjoy doing, just for the sake of it. Music should be about having fun. In my previous band, I had a guitarist name Shane, he was the best guitarist in the whole of Western Ireland. He won many competitions and gave us huge succes in that area. But I didn't like jamming with him, he didn't inspire me, he was lazy and got where he was cause' he had nothing else to do. He doesn't even like playing guitar very much. It just made the band room a dreary, pathetic mess.

So what I'm saying is, if your mate playing rythme makes the band room alive and you really enjoy jamming then, keep him. He will get better if he practises, and then all problems will be solved!
do you need him to be good straight away anyways? why not just train him up in the band situation so you can drive his progress faster......... then once he is good guilt trip him so that he doesnt leave....... but if you want to play gigs b4 your other friends go..... maybe just get someone else........
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
well we already have several replacement guitarists (rhythm or lead, it doesnt matter) and a few potential drummer replacements. I dont want to replace him though, because it was our idea to start the thing together, but i think its neccassary if he doesnt get better. w/e we'll just keep him for now i suppose, because although I am aiming for high heights you gotta start low, and this is just the beginning to make a name for ourselves.
Quote by metalimaster
do you need him to be good straight away anyways? why not just train him up in the band situation so you can drive his progress faster......... then once he is good guilt trip him so that he doesnt leave....... but if you want to play gigs b4 your other friends go..... maybe just get someone else........

see thats what we're aiming for. sorry for double posting.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
well we already have several replacement guitarists (rhythm or lead, it doesnt matter) and a few potential drummer replacements. I dont want to replace him though, because it was our idea to start the thing together, but i think its neccassary if he doesnt get better. w/e we'll just keep him for now i suppose, because although I am aiming for high heights you gotta start low, and this is just the beginning to make a name for ourselves.

well i think that u should just tell one of the replacements that u have that they need to practice and **** for when the other two do move then u will have other people still atlest close to being on the same level as them
well no, the replacements are just as good, i really dont know why my other good friend (who is asking to join) isnt in the band. I think its because we fear we'll break our friendship with rhythm guitarist and the singer will leave, which we dont want. he's gonna join next year anyway. the replacement drummer doesnt like me to much, bt he likes the rhythm guitarist, so we mite need him to get the drummer. oh well.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
well no, the replacements are just as good, i really dont know why my other good friend (who is asking to join) isnt in the band. I think its because we fear we'll break our friendship with rhythm guitarist and the singer will leave, which we dont want. he's gonna join next year anyway. the replacement drummer doesnt like me to much, bt he likes the rhythm guitarist, so we mite need him to get the drummer. oh well.

wow that is confusing... but what im saying is to get the replacements to practice the same stuff u do so they will be playing the same music and will just be on the same page as the rest of the band... i dont no, thats just me tho
thats a good idea. and then what though? say we have a gig (we actually do have a place that wants us to play a few songs) and he cant keep up? should we just not tell him about it and call in a replacement guitarist who knows the part? thats kind of mean......

EDIT: we're gonna play our first gig in may-june. maybe he can learn 5 easy songs by then? say hells bells, dream on, tnt, etc...?
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
thats a good idea. and then what though? say we have a gig (we actually do have a place that wants us to play a few songs) and he cant keep up? should we just not tell him about it and call in a replacement guitarist who knows the part? thats kind of mean......

ya, u do have a point but i think u should tell him about it and maybe just practice the songs that he cant get down right and if he just cant get it right then ull have to find someone else even tho it is mean...
i think thats what i am gonna do, and tell him to come back in september with an amazing tryout that'll blow everyone away and we'll be fine. hope he doesnt get to bummed out about it. and hopefully the vocalist wont leave, but i dont think he will, he really enjoys singing outside of just chorus class (now that hes joined he is singing everywhere, including french class).
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
i think thats what i am gonna do, and tell him to come back in september with an amazing tryout that'll blow everyone away and we'll be fine. hope he doesnt get to bummed out about it. and hopefully the vocalist wont leave, but i dont think he will, he really enjoys singing outside of just chorus class (now that hes joined he is singing everywhere, including french class).

ya, but the one thing u need to make sure of is that u dont have ur mind set on the fact that he will come back... because if u base the band on how he plays other than the backup u have in for him and he doesnt come back then ur skrewed and will have to start new again... and the vocalist shouldnt leave just because of that
ya. but i think he will want to come back. and hes really interested into our style of music. our primary influences are ac/dc, aerosmith, guns n roses, led zeppelin, rolling stones (also the bands we're covering the most).
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
ya. but i think he will want to come back. and hes really interested into our style of music. our primary influences are ac/dc, aerosmith, guns n roses, led zeppelin, rolling stones (also the bands we're covering the most).

ok... then i think that thats what u should do
since your band isnt going serious anytime soon id stay with how things are he'll get better and if your band only knows three songs you cant rly judge ****.. unless hes like rly crap
Quote by Shadow_Hawk

In that case, I'd stick with him.
If you're confident that he'll improve, then there's no point in causing any upset just for the sake of a few months until the singer and guitarist leaves, and once they do leave, you'll still have a basic three piece drums/guitar/bass band that you could work on and add other members to later down the line.
Quote by Fletcher092
since your band isnt going serious anytime soon id stay with how things are he'll get better and if your band only knows three songs you cant rly judge ****.. unless hes like rly crap

three incredibly easy songs in 3 days (25 minute practice sessions). We could be doing more, as we are all proficient in our instruments (except for him). But it doesnt matter, I've decided to stick with him. LIke someone esle said, who has heard of being kicked out of a garage band for sucking?

Quote by SlackerBabbath
In that case, I'd stick with him.
If you're confident that he'll improve, then there's no point in causing any upset just for the sake of a few months until the singer and guitarist leaves, and once they do leave, you'll still have a basic three piece drums/guitar/bass band that you could work on and add other members to later down the line.

exactly. and seeing that all of us who are staying probably wont be seeing that much of each other over the summer, I see that there is no point in kicking him out when he will have improved.