Page 1 of 2
Is it any good? How much would new speakers be, cuz someone said they were not good. I would be playing mainly metal, but will spread into shred later on. Favorite band is Pantera.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Last edited by Pinky19 at Mar 24, 2008,
ohhh. recomendations from that price range? 350-400$

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

it is good..trust me...if it wouldn't be then no one would suggest it but everyone did.
so...try one out...
it's absolutely not bad!
it's a great great amp for it's price
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by strings-N-stuff
I'd like to see you do this with a VK

click me

I don't play metal...I hate it.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
didn't sound that good (the crate)

are 5150s good for pantera-ish metal? I mean that genre, what ever it may be.

Quote by Kozlic
I don't play metal...I hate it.

this is your thread?

and as far as the crate it sounds good in person (not like that) and its just a option.

Heres a better video click me

I'd go with a used 5150 off eBay or wait for the Orange Tiny Terror combo to come out if you want to spend alittle more
Last edited by strings-N-stuff at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by strings-N-stuff
this is your thread?

and as far as the crate it sounds good in person (not like that) and its just a option.

I'd go with a used 5150 off eBay or wait for the Orange Tiny Terror combo to come out if you want to spend alittle more

I was finding some good deals on 5150 combos. Would I need to replace the speakers if they are stock?

The 112 is a fine amp. Tone, of course is subjective, but really, give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VHH1aXbpWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwoRb8WAhKc
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by Hakael
The 112 is a fine amp. Tone, of course is subjective, but really, give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VHH1aXbpWE

If he can get a 5150, why buy a VK? no comparison

To me, the Valveking is a MG with tubes and no FX.

5150 is the best amp in its price range, hands down. not so great with cleans but I think a simple EQ or boost pedal would help that.
Last edited by strings-N-stuff at Mar 24, 2008,
You're pretty harsh on the VK. I've played both an MG and own a VK. Saying the VK's like an MG is an overly harsh insult. Almost like you have some odd personal vendetta against 'em. Personally I think it's a perfectly fine amp, and my own personal opinion aside, I'm sure that there are others that will agree that it's a decent amp for the price. What the TS SHOULD do is at least try them.

Not arguing that the 5150 isn't itself a good amp as well, but if you can't get your hands on a 5150, the VK isn't a bad thing to fall back on.

TS, here's some other threads you may want to take a look at for more information.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817381&highlight=valveking

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737907&highlight=valveking
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Mar 24, 2008,
Least you could do is come up with a decent argument.
I wouldn't be able to buy new speakers.....

A speaker swap is just one option, and usually the most recommended one. Having a decent EQ helps (that's with pretty much any amp) and there's also the simple idea of letting the speaker break in a little. The tone will actually improve a little once the speakers have had ample time to break in.

I myself would probably go for a 5150 combo if I had the chance, but if funds are limited, the VK is definitely not a bad amp to check out. They're great amps for the price of what you can get one for.

Do you have a chance to try any amps out or are you simply ordering them online?
I can the VK, but I have heard great clips of the 5150.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade you from the 5150. If you can get your hands on one, by all means, I'd go for it.

I'm just saying that if you CAN'T, don't overlook the VK.
Ok, but one more question: Is the 5150 a good enough amp were people would recommend pedals and new pickups rather than a new amp?

Quote by Pinky19
Ok, but one more question: Is the 5150 a good enough amp were people would recommend pedals and new pickups rather than a new amp?

yea unless you needed better cleans
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
What amp do you have now?
Roland MicroCube

Amp, definitely first... THEN think about whether you might need new pickups, or anything else for that matter really.
My guitar sucks to though, need frets filled and new input jack =\

Quote by Pinky19

It's a great choice for what you play.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I think I might go with the 5150 and then go with new speakers later on.

From me looking around eBay in the past for 5150 combos the pickins are slim. Youll at most find 3 or 4 combos and those usually go for around 600 or more. Plenty of heads though. I own the VK 212 it is a great amp for the money. It doesnt really excel at a particular genre like the 5150 for metal, but it is as versitale as get out. You can go from Trivium and Mastodon gain to Jefferson Airplane 60s clean. But, the amp will need new speakers and tubes to really shine, after modding it the VK will be a great amp to own. A few people around here have modded there VKs. I personally replaced the speakers with Celestion G12t-75s. Which are used in Marshall 1960 cabs. I also replaced the tubes with JJs and Tung-Sols. An Eq and OD will do wonders for it as well. As people say the gain channel can be a little muddy.
Quote by yocomobebes
From me looking around eBay in the past for 5150 combos the pickins are slim. Youll at most find 3 or 4 combos and those usually go for around 600 or more. Plenty of heads though. I own the VK 212 it is a great amp for the money. It doesnt really excel at a particular genre like the 5150 for metal, but it is as versitale as get out. You can go from Trivium and Mastodon gain to Jefferson Airplane 60s clean. But, the amp will need new speakers and tubes to really shine, after modding it the VK will be a great amp to own. A few people around here have modded there VKs. I personally replaced the speakers with Celestion G12t-75s. Which are used in Marshall 1960 cabs. I also replaced the tubes with JJs and Tung-Sols. An Eq and OD will do wonders for it as well. As people say the gain channel can be a little muddy.

you made a youtube vid, didn't you?

Nope, i havent made a youtube vid. But i know there are a few good ones out there that show the capabilities of the VK for metal.
Quote by strings-N-stuff
If he can get a 5150, why buy a VK? no comparison

To me, the Valveking is a MG with tubes and no FX.

5150 is the best amp in its price range, hands down. not so great with cleans but I think a simple EQ or boost pedal would help that.

1. The 5150 isnt made anymore.
2. Good luck finding a used 5150 in good shape for $399
3. The 5150's cleans are awful
4. The Valveking sounds pretty good. You shouldn't be comparing it to the awful MG.
Good luck finding a 5150 for 399. Period. Go for the VK, or.......a B-52 or Randall Rg50tc? Those last two choices are made for metal so they may suit you nicely as well, im not sure how the cleans hold up though but their dist. are great. The VKs cleans are actually quite good. And there also not as versitale.
There are several on ebay

I Dont Need Cleans

Then id look at the Randall and B-52 then, very good metal amps, might have to go used though as they are a little over your budget, but im thinkin those might suit you a little better as their both geared toward metal more.
I'm going ebay or blemished anyways, so no worries.

an specific b-52s?

Page 1 of 2