Hey, I noticed that in all the videos of folks like Hendrix, Angus Young, Deep Purple, etc. you never see them wearing earplugs, but most new guitarists always have them. Now I know folks like those I mentioned used non master volume amps that were louder than ****, so did they just have uber hearing loss? I know Townshend and a few others did, but I have always wondered if those guys ever protected their ears. They all use 4-5 or more big stacks, and 1 of them is painfully loud!

Searchbar turned up nothing.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
No and they paid the consequences.
At least those who lived long enough did.

If you wnat to beat tinnitus, choke on your own vomit.
they might be in-ear monitors, gets rid of stage monitors. Or maybe just learning from the mistakes of the previous generations
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
I doubt it. Back then men were men. Deaf men.

Townsend if mostly deaf because Keith moon setup explosives in his Bass drum and this made Townsend go completely deaf in one ear!

Silly Keith!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Eric Johnson and Paul Gilbert regularly use headphones onstage in order to avoid developing tinnitus.
^ Gilbert already developed serious hearing problems. He's doing damage control now!

The moral here is, if you're diming out big valve amps, wear some ear plugs of some kind.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Don't In-Ear Monitors act as a montitor AND hearing protection?

And I think they are extremely necissariy for onstage performences. At least use ear plugs, my ears are so sensitive (I hate high-volumed noisees!) that a good hit on a Crash or a Ride on a drum set would be loud for me.

Here in Dallas during the 70's and early 80's there was a yearly thing called "The Texas Jam".

This concert had multiple headliners like Foreigner, Boston, Sammy Hagar, Pat Travers, Ozzy, and the like. Each year, I knew I would not be able to hear for a week afterwards. I think some of my problem with hearing now is from the exposure at those events .

Take heed

Chris
i find it very distracting playing with ear plugs
Spear Gladius II
Squire Standard Stratocaster LTD ED c/w hotrails
Squire Deluxe Strat c/w Hotrails
Dean Baby V
Tanglewood Acoustic
Bugera 333 Head
Laney Cab Vintage 30's
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2
Boss MT-2 (modified)
Marshall Jackhammer
Quote by CEREBRAL-INFERN
i find it very distracting playing with ear plugs

You can get special ear plugs that let through the music but quieter, without losing frequencies like you do with normal ear plugs. Perhaps that'd be more up your road?

I find that the sort of gigs I play don't require me cranking my amp more than about 3, so ear plugs aren't needed.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
You can get special ear plugs that let through the music but quieter, without losing frequencies like you do with normal ear plugs. Perhaps that'd be more up your road?

what are they called?
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
Quote by Kurapica

I find that the sort of gigs I play don't require me cranking my amp more than about 3, so ear plugs aren't needed.

+1...
For now, gigs are quieter than band practices tend to be.

I assume some of the past guys used ear plugs, but I'm not sure who.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by flyingmarlin
I doubt it. Back then men were men. Deaf men.

Townsend if mostly deaf because Keith moon setup explosives in his Bass drum and this made Townsend go completely deaf in one ear!

Silly Keith!

That's just a theory, it's mostly due to years of blasting feedback and roars from amps that were sitting at ear level (particularly effective when you're using 100-watt stacks in small clubs).
dude i have to wear ear plugs when i crank my vox.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by kasso
what are they called?

Just some attenuating ones mate. Something like these:

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=ALPLUGS

They aren't expensive unless you get some amazing ones
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

etymotic also make great musician earplugs. Those keep the level of all frequencies even but at a lower safer lever. In ear monitors are the best thing but they are expensive. I use Maudio IE30, which is a rebatched Ultimate Ears Super Fi pro. If you want the most noise protection the new SE line from shure is thebest at blocking volume, unfortunatelly the Ultimate Ears offering still have the most pristine sound quality.
I didn't use to wear them, and I'm paying for it now. I'm coming up on my 18th birthday, and I've got mild prolonged tinnitus.

Point of the story being; unleash the focking earplugs
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
They make special musician earplugs for symphonic musicians, who have to deal with noise levels every bit as intense as 70s Who concerts (the SPL at a professional orchestra directly in front of the brass section is about 130 db during ff sections). The poor saps who have to sit there tend to be discriminating about what they can hear so earplug companies have answered the need.
The best option is to go see an audiologist. They can make special moulded earplugs for you, and for a good price, considering its either that or going deaf.
Quote by Kurapica

I was planning on getting our band kitted out for properly attenuated earpieces until I read an interview with slipknot. They wear industrial foam earplugs, and just EQ their monitors with their earplugs already in to compensate for the excessive treble cut. Seem so obvious I don't know why I didn't think of it before.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I always wear my Alpine Musicsafes when playing or watching gigs. Even though I hardly ever crank my 7 watt Tiny Terror past 12 o'clock.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)