These are my last questions about muting tehcnique... I'm tired of always posting about it, I sound like a total noob guitar player... wich I probably am because I'm new ... What sucks more I don't even have a teacher... So yea you won't hear about me again on this subject I think.

1: I was watching some steve vai's video and I saw that sometimes, to mute higher strings [E,A,D], he used his left hand [freting] THUMB? I started to go crazy... Maybe you guys do that but for me it's like.... What the heck? So yea... Is it a MUST DO or just a technique?... OR something that you must NOT do?

[less important question]2: How the heck am I supposed to mute the high string E when I play on the A string? Same for D,G and B,e.

3: Is it ok to mute the low strings with your left hand [freting hand] while playing on the higher strings E,B,D? I kinda like it because it's and automatic mute technique for me but uh.... I'm not sure if it's an appropriate technique to become good.

If it's not an appriopriate technique... how the heck am I supposed to mute lower strings? I'm really unable to mute them while playing on higher strings... Maybe I need more practice I don't know but I've been messing around this for a long time...

Believe me, if only I had a guitar teacher you wouldn't find me annoying...

Sorry once again for beeing a total noob/newb
for the thumb question, some people have a slight genetic advantage and have something called hitchhikers thumb steve vai probably has this; his thumb is very agile and he can do thumb chords. but not everyone has hitch hikers thumb so its not a must do for guitar players
ok....
look unless you're looking for that particular sound you dont need to mute the low strings while your playing the high strings. and if you are looking for that sound( probably when youre playing a chord) then use your thumb to mute the low strings or palm mute them. palm muting is when you have your palm resting on the strigs near the brigde. it gives you a different sound than fret hand muting because it doesnt completely mute the strings and gives you a damper, more heavier sort of sound. and dont get all worked up about muting strings, its simple you just rest your hand on the strings and make sure they dont ring. there is no recomended technique for it. and for your last question, ITS OK TO DO ANYTHING.
Quote by dodee
ok....
look unless you're looking for that particular sound you dont need to mute the low strings while your playing the high strings. and if you are looking for that sound( probably when youre playing a chord) then use your thumb to mute the low strings or palm mute them. palm muting is when you have your palm resting on the strigs near the brigde. it gives you a different sound than fret hand muting because it doesnt completely mute the strings and gives you a damper, more heavier sort of sound. and dont get all worked up about muting strings, its simple you just rest your hand on the strings and make sure they dont ring. there is no recomended technique for it. and for your last question, ITS OK TO DO ANYTHING.

I agree with you on the last question but I don't really have a problem with palm muting a string while playing it but muting the strings that I dont play. And uh how can I mute low strings with my thumb

I just have a problem with my technique... I know what's palm muting but I don't know how to do it.... liek this ,like that....

I'm very ok with muting the higher strings while playing the lower one but I have a biiiiiig complication for muting the low ones while playing the higher ones...

edit : And now I just lost my dam pick.... the irony =/