i had this idea would it work ? check out this diagram i made, ask if you dont understand any of it but its pretty straightforward:

so any clarification if this would work ?

or any alternative style of joining them which would be stronger and possibly work?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
idk...i think it could be possible but is it really a good idea? i also dont know the answer to that question.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
that would be f*cking sweet if it worked.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
i thought of it cz i have a neck with a screwed (literally got too many screw holes init) heel, so i though i'd ask cz i have some maple lying about, if other people can suggest some ideas and whatnot ill give it a go.

absolutly no significance to 13 degrees , i just though that everyone seems to say scarf joints are stronger than the wood itself, wouldnt the been contradicting themselves if they say this wont work ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
^ really ? i trust your word above a lot of peoples man .

im doing this tomorow if it will work
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
^ really ? i trust your word above a lot of peoples man .

im doing this tomorow if it will work

take LOTS of pictures.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
bolt on necks are only half the thickness of the guitar body, so you'll have to use a lot of maple, but thats the best idea ive ever heard on how to make a neckthrough without making the whole neck urself.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^ yeah i know, its not a problem though, just involves a bit of carving to the heel, ive got a small piece of maple spare so ill try this ( not neckthrough but a larger heel) tomorow , or maybe on thursday, if this works and everything im making an ESP style neck from this old abused neck i have lying around.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
yeah, go for it, if it's a knackered neck anyway, what've yoiu got to lose? I'd make sure it's a really neat join though, and use thick,hard dowel, and get it right deep in the two surfaces.
its kind of dumb to me, but it will work.

id just assume, if you were to make a neckthrough, you would...make a neckthrough.

i dont really believe in glue joints, i try to use as many as possible when making a guitar. i like guitars that are wood, not 10% glue.
Why would you want to do that? the joint will be just as big and the sound will suffer. Fill the holes and bolt it back on.
From what I gather, it can go three ways.

1st. You succesfully do it and increase in sustain.
2nd. You succesfully do it, but an actual decrease in sustain due to no actual proof it works.
3rd. It goes completely wrong.

So best of luck with it man!
it wont increase sustain, a glue joint on a neck will decrease sustain. any interference such as glue between wood joints will slightly alter the vibration through the wood. i like bolt ons, metal wont alter the vibration as much as a cruddy glue joint.
id say use a biscut in the middle and dowels on the sides.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
I'd just make the whole neck if i were you but if you want to do this you could pull it off. their are obvious sacrifices you'll have to make if you do it this way, but it should be fine. I doubt you'll need dowels or biscuits.
1. the holes cannot be filled i've tried, every attempt at salvaging this neck has failed.
2. its not for a neckthrough really sort of a set neck and to sort out the problem of having holes in the heel.
3. the sustain cant be any less than a bolt on can it ?
4. the dowel would be pretty tricky i agree, for the angle i have this saw that can cut perfect angles , so im going to use that.
5. i dont want to make a new neck im not using it on a guitar just yet, i just want to salvage this one i have.

and finally a question:
would having the angle facing the other way (e.g pointing from the corner of the heel to the fretbaord) be stronger than the way shown in the diagram ?

thanks for the replies everyone.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Last edited by admbwr at Mar 24, 2008,