I just bought a book that lists, I guess, most of the important scales, and it gives the numbers and formulas behind each scales, then it goes on to list each scale, in each key, with each note in the scale with each fingering.

However, it doesn't include a particular way of memorizing each scale.

What I was wondering, was which type of scales should I learn first?
Major and Natural Minor.

Don't bother with any other scales until those two are in your backbone.

After that, you can start getting into melodic and harmonic minor, and maybe get into the modes.

And well, the pentatonic if you don't know it already.
Major, three kinds of minor, and chromatic. Definitely.

As for which scales, I'd say, C, Am, G, Em, D, Bm, F, and Dm. Four basic keys and their relative minors.

After that, tackle whole tones and the blues scale. Then modes.
as far as learning them, learn them up/down first, then once you have that in your muscle memory try using different patterns, such as arpeggios or thirds to make sure you know the notes.
I have nothing witty to say here at the moment

Expect a change soon
Ignore them.

Learn how the major scale works...cold. This does not even require you to have a guitar. While doing that, learn minor pentatonics and blues scales all over the neck. 80% of rock soloing is based on the minor pentatonic and blues scales. At this point, you will have a fair amount of theoretical knowledge due to the major scale studying you did and you will have practical knowledge because you can play your minor pentatonic scales.

I suggest you slowly go through the "learn your theory" link in my sig.
well I started with the pentatonic then added notes to make it a minor scale and add in the blue note. from there you have a major scale and all the modes.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Ignore them.

Learn how the major scale works...cold. This does not even require you to have a guitar. While doing that, learn minor pentatonics and blues scales all over the neck. 80% of rock soloing is based on the minor pentatonic and blues scales. At this point, you will have a fair amount of theoretical knowledge due to the major scale studying you did and you will have practical knowledge because you can play your minor pentatonic scales.

I suggest you slowly go through the "learn your theory" link in my sig.

kk thank you
I've already got C Ionian down. I figured that the Major scales would probably be the best place to start, and then the book said that Aeolian and the 2 types of pentatonics were important. and i'll check out your link. thx