I have been writing/ composing for a while, but I have never attempted to orchestrate anything.

I had the brilliant idea last night to take elements from a few Pink Floyd (mainly on the run, any colour you like, echoes, money, welcome to the machine, and careful with that axe eugene) and arrange a sort of flowing medley for a large ensemble (i'm not sure yet what insturments).

I am planning to start by transcribing all those songs above, then arranging them into the composition I want, then working out individual parts.

Any suggestions?

btw, I am in highschool, for a high schooler I have a lot of musical knowledge and a very good ear, but it's still highschool.
I have nothing witty to say here at the moment

Expect a change soon
Last edited by Narwhale at Mar 24, 2008,
I mean since I have never arranged anything before, are there any particular things I should be aware of/ look out for?

Expect a change soon
Remember to be mindful of instrument's ranges and the skill level of the players you'll be arranging for.
You need to tell me what instruments. I find orchestration to be incredibly difficult. But again, it depends on what instruments. And you'll need to know what those instruments can/can't or would be too hard to do. It's a big pain.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Well that's the problem.
The only ensemble i normally play in is the highschool band,

Needless to say, these kids arent the greatest, which is why i am hesitant to write for that group.

As that is what I am familiar with though, i will most likely be writing for concert band.

Expect a change soon
Make sure to take into account the Bb and Eb instruments and transpose accordingly.
Wikipedia any instrument and it will tell you the range.
Quote by Cameronrobson
If a barn owl was fighting a tiger and flew away, it was just looking for a more awesome place to fight. This happens all the time on Dragon Ball Z.

Member 8 of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club
Quote by Narwhale
Well that's the problem.
The only ensemble i normally play in is the highschool band,

Needless to say, these kids arent the greatest, which is why i am hesitant to write for that group.

As that is what I am familiar with though, i will most likely be writing for concert band.
that could be fun though. Keep it simple. Maybe an ensemble piece. I would say start off with like a 2minute horn quartet piece. Sounds like fun.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Too many people are arranging rock pieces for classical ensembles. What ever happened to these classical ensembles playing classical music? Not saying you shouldn't try this because it could be a great experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if this has already been done by some one before.
12 fret fury
I know it's been done before, and much better than ill ever be able to do, check out symphonic Pink Floyd on youtube/amazon. I'm not basing this off that, I didn't even remeber about it until right now.

For me at least, music is music, it dosnt matter what instrument plays it (although it can make a difference). Pink Floyd is one of my favorite musical inspirations, so that is what I want to arrange. Personally, I would generally rather not write for classical ensembles, but I don't see a reason you should not limit yourself to certain voices.

Expect a change soon
Quote by Galvanise69
Can anyone explain to me what exactally orchestration is?
just as it sounds. Composing a piece to be played by a range of different instruments. OR literally an orchestra.

It's hard because you have to know what the people playing can do as well as know each instrument very well - not to mention the harmonization/creative options are immense. And there are a lot of "rules" and things that will either sound bad or will be confusing for different players or even the conductor.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
You dont have to do it for a whole orchestra, in fact that is very hard unless you are quite accustomed to all the instruments in it.

Arranging things is good fun, and you can do it simply to a solo guitar, a piano, a quartet or a violin accompanied by a piano or guitar. In other words, there are so many combinations it is wise to pick the best one to suit the song(s) you are working with.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.