Page 1 of 2
Remember when getting high meant swinging at the playground.
When protection meant wearing a helmet.
When the worst thing you could get from girls were cooties
And the worst thing you could get from boys was a cold.
When your worst enemies were your siblings.
When race issues were about who ran the fastest.
When the only drug you knew was cough medicine.
When wearing a skirt didn't possibly mean you were a skank.
When the only thing that would hurt you were skinned knees.
When the only thing that could be broken were your toys &
Goodbyes only meant until tomorrow...
Life was so simple and carefree,
But what I remember most was wanting to grow up.
And now, all I want is to be a kid again.
I liked it until the end, really. It kind of built up very well and I was waiting for this magnificent ending, but, unfortunately, I was very disappointed. It wasn't really bad, it just wasn't what I had expected. I think you should make it more interesting. I don't really know how (sorry), but this poem has such great potential and throwing it away with those ending lines just seemed like a terrible damn shame. The first two lines were absolutely incredible. They just definitely kept me reading this. Like I said, make the endning more interesting, and I'd dig this so much.

Kind of lame crit, but would you like to crit mine? I think it should be in my sig by now. Otherwise, it's probably floating around here somewhere.
Last edited by trackmind at Mar 24, 2008,
This made me smile. It's a feeling we all know to some extent, even while we still are kids. Simple and familiar. I really enjoyed this.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain
Analysis of Studies Finds Little Effect From Long-Term Use
By Sid Kirchheimer
WebMD Medical NewsJuly 1, 2003 -- Long-term and even daily marijuana use doesn't appear to cause permanent brain damage, adding to evidence that it can be a safe and effective treatment for a wide range of diseases, say researchers.

The researchers found only a "very small" impairment in memory and learning among long-term marijuana users. Otherwise, scores on thinking tests were similar to those who don't smoke marijuana, according to a new analysis of 15 previous studies.

In those studies, some 700 regular marijuana users were compared with 484 non-users on various aspects of brain function -- including reaction time, language and motor skills, reasoning ability, memory, and the ability to learn new information.

Surprising Finding

"We were somewhat surprised by our finding, especially since there's been a controversy for some years on whether long-term cannabis use causes brain damage," says lead researcher and psychiatrist Igor Grant, MD.

"I suppose we expected to see some differences in people who were heavy users, but in fact the differences were very minimal."

The marijuana users in those 15 studies -- which lasted between three months to more than 13 years -- had smoked marijuana several times a week or month or daily. Still, researchers say impairments were less than what is typically found from using alcohol or other drugs.

"All study participants were adults," says Grant, professor of psychiatry and director of the Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research Center at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine.

"However, there might be a different set of circumstances to a 12-year-old whose nervous system is still developing."

10 States OK Marijuana Use

Grant's analysis, published in the July issue of the Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, comes as many states consider laws allowing marijuana to be used to treat certain medical conditions. Earlier this year, Maryland became the 10th state to allow marijuana use to relieve pain and other symptoms of AIDS, multiple sclerosis, cancer, glaucoma, and other conditions -- joining Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

Medicinal marijuana is available by prescription in the Netherlands and a new marijuana drug is expected to be released in Great Britain later this year. In the U.S. and elsewhere, Marinol, a drug that is a synthetic form of marijuana and contains its active ingredient, THC, is available by prescription to treat loss of appetite associated with weight loss in AIDS patients.

Grant says he did the analysis to help determine long-term toxicity from long-term and frequent marijuana use. His center is currently conducting 11 studies to determine its safety and efficacy in treating several diseases.

"This finding enables us to see a marginal level of safety, if those studies prove that cannabis can be effective," Grant tells WebMD. "If we barely find this effect in long-term heavy users, then we are unlikely to see deleterious side effects in individuals who receive cannabis for a short time in a medical setting, which would be safer than what is practiced by street users."

Grant's findings come as no surprise to Tod Mikuriya, MD, former director of non-classified marijuana research for the National Institute of Mental Health Center for Narcotics and Drug Abuse Studies and author of The Marijuana Medical Handbook: A Guide to Therapeutic Use. He is currently president of the California Cannabis Medical Group, which has treated some 20,000 patients with medicinal marijuana and Marinol.

-WebMD.com

MJ aint bad.

But otherwise I really like what you wrote. Thanks
wat

Fuck off Forrests. I agree with what people have said about the ending being a tad lame.

love is a dog from hell.

Last edited by we have sound at Mar 25, 2008,
Agreed. I think if the last line was removed, and ended on the line before it, it would have a better impact. Let the reader piece it together themselves you know?
Quote by rush4life
Agreed. I think if the last line was removed, and ended on the line before it, it would have a better impact. Let the reader piece it together themselves you know?

+1

It really is a good piece, and it's very true too.
Cute.

Maybe, instead of those last three lines, which were pretty cliche, you could build off of the "tomorrow" from the previous line and say something to the extent of "and now it's tomorrow but I wish I could rewind back to yesterday and be a kid again because it seems like just yesterday I was."

Not that, obviously. But something that has that effect. I dunno. Just throwing stuff out there.

It was pretty cute, though.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
seems like something that would win a college poetry contest because it's "cute."

Dont get me wrong, its well written for what it is and conveys the message brilliantly, it just has no edge and was, for lack of a better word, surface. Not to say that simple isnt sometimes good, and I think this works.

At the same time I agree with Evan and Randy. In a neutral way.
Quote by pixiesfanyo
totally gay.

synth, did you just move to Portland?

From now on comments like this are warned. If you're not helpful/just bashing don't bother commenting.

I'm talking to the "regulars" here.
Very nice. I wish i could've written these lyrics. Its weird cause when you think about all of that stuff it is so true. Rock on dude, keep writing more kick a** lyrics like this
Quote by Arthur Curry
i swear to god i've seen this myspace bulletin before.

me too. I'm confused as to why this was chosen for writing of the week because I saw absolutely no poetic value in any part of it.

cute sure, but not good writing. could someone please explain to me through pm or in here why they voted for this for wotw?
Quote by #1 synth

close this please.

Edit: nah Jared, I moved to Portland 7 years ago. However, I am leaving soon for the isolated campus/town of Bennington, Vermont soon enough.

Hahahaha holy ****, you're going to Bennington?

(Don't get me wrong, I think Bennington is ****ing awesome.)

EDIT: Where were all you guys when everyone was saying how great this piece was?
Quote by pixiesfanyo
and who ever picked this for WotW loses for having the bad taste enough to choose a myspace bulletin as the writing of the week.

Agreed.

Also, plagiarized or not, it's a pitifully bad piece of writing with a "cuteness" factor that makes me want to barf.

I swear to god I've read better poetry on the back of the shampoo bottle.
www.facebook.com/longlostcomic
Page 1 of 2