Page 1 of 2
ive been playin for 5 months (2 months for electric). just curious. what did you pick up easier?
I'd say tap.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
tapping is soooo easy
i learned it after about a month of playing

the trick is flick the string with the picking hand, not just hammer it
tapping. you'll have a long way to go to understand shredding and do it well , my friend. good luck
Definitely tapping. I can do two-handed tapping half-decently, and still have issues shredding 16th-note riffs. Oh well.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
tapping for me
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Well tapping is easy...

Specially when you see that Kristopher Dahl video on the bottom of each tab here in UG.com =D
Trust me, you're not going to be doing either of those things with any degree of competency or usefulness after 5 months. Worry about getting the basics right, the flash stuff comes a lot later.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
in every video i see, tapping looks really weird and complicated. i was actually surprised to see that everyone says shredding is harder. because i picked up on sweep picking like in one day and i can play glasgow kiss by john petrucci descently (okay maybe im only halfway there lol). im assuming that if you can sweep pick pretty good, you can learn to shred easier though. anyways i know i have a lot, lot to learn but i was just curious
Well tapping can be harder. Well its not really tapping anymore, but more like legato on both hands. Try it out. Tap a chord with one hand, solo with the other hand. Its really fun once you can do it.
Shred consists of many things wich all must be mastered to become an ultimate shreder some people like Paul gilbert and George Lynch know most of these perfectly you must be able to:tap and I don't mean that wimpy two fingure tapping you must get up to at least 2 strings going at once, play articulit notes at blazing speed, trill, know your hammer on and pull offs in every position on the neck, arpegios at blazing articulit speed, know rock and minor and most major shred scales in everyposition on the neck this does include open positions, have decent rythym your not rythym but you must at least know some, sweep cleanly and fast, have some melodie but not much is needed, and again you must know important scales everywhere on the neck, and most important you have to do all this cleanly and one time lets repeat the most important part agian CLEAN PICKING AND ON TIME. I am sure I left something out buts thats all I can think of.

I don't hope to discurage you this takes years to master and I have not come close yet.

So I would say tapping is easier unless you meen 8 finger tapping that is the kill to all guitarist if you mean 8 finger tapping then well I don't realy know wich is harder to master.

Good luck and hope you made it through the wall of text without gauging your eyes out.
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Shred consists of many things wich all must be mastered to become an ultimate shreder some people like Paul gilbert and George Lynch know most of these perfectly you must be able to:tap and I don't mean that wimpy two fingure tapping you must get up to at least 2 strings going at once, play articulit notes at blazing speed, trill, know your hammer on and pull offs in every position on the neck, arpegios at blazing articulit speed, know rock and minor and most major shred scales in everyposition on the neck this does include open positions, have decent rythym your not rythym but you must at least know some, sweep cleanly and fast, have some melodie but not much is needed, and again you must know important scales everywhere on the neck, and most important you have to do all this cleanly and one time lets repeat the most important part agian CLEAN PICKING AND ON TIME. I am sure I left something out buts thats all I can think of.

I don't hope to discurage you this takes years to master and I have not come close yet.

So I would say tapping is easier unless you meen 8 finger tapping that is the kill to all guitarist if you mean 8 finger tapping then well I don't realy know wich is harder to master.

Good luck and hope you made it through the wall of text without gauging your eyes out.

8 finger tapping is harder. I have mastered all but improv (I always repeat the same patterns in the different keys), tapping, finger picking. im good at 8 finger tapping, but its hard to master. Its not the tapping thats hard but more the muting
also keep in mind that 8 finger tappin is part of shred.

Check out stanley jordan, his tapping is the craziest.
Quote by guitar_loner
in every video i see, tapping looks really weird and complicated. i was actually surprised to see that everyone says shredding is harder. because i picked up on sweep picking like in one day and i can play glasgow kiss by john petrucci descently (okay maybe im only halfway there lol). im assuming that if you can sweep pick pretty good, you can learn to shred easier though. anyways i know i have a lot, lot to learn but i was just curious

I WANT PROOF OF THIS.
really.
Top lel.
^yeah no kidding ive been tapping for years but I cant sweep OR shred worth a damn. I have high standards as far as my own skill level goes, but even still, basic tapping is as far as I can go shred wise. No reason to lie!
Quote by the memory
I WANT PROOF OF THIS.
really.

+1

5 months isnt likely unless you're a prodigy or practice freak.
'Shred', to me at least, is having complete control and understanding of your instrument and of music. You'd need to have every technique down perfectly, at any speed. And you'd need a good understanding of music theory and notation and how to apply this to guitar. The idea with 'shred' is being able to play anything that is in your head. Getting to this level takes years of practise and reading and understanding etc.

So i'd say learning tapping would be easier The tricky bit is learning to use tapping as a technique to write something cool and original. Not just two handed arpeggio stuff. Check out Midnight and Day At The Beach by Satriani for examples of using two handed tapping to create original compositions. Oh, and also check out Stanley Jordan to completely put you off trying to master this technique :p The guy is crazy insane!
Quote by guitar_loner
practice freak no but seriously i basically live, breathe and eat guitar now

im still wanting some proof of glasgow kiss.
Top lel.
Quote by the memory

+1

To be honest, I just like to improv. a lot which doesn't really rely on tapping at all or uber flashy licks.
Also check out Chris Broderick for 8 finger tapping, he does this short classical piece and its really intense. He plays it before Tornado of Souls at Megadeth shows if you want to look it up but there's a proper recording of it on youtube somewhere.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Uh, shredding isn't a technique, while tapping is.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Define shredding? and tapping is pretty easy as soon as you grow some callouses and improve some finger strength
that megadeth guy is crazy he makes glen drover look terrible at least at tapping I hope one day to lean 8 finger tapping like that guy.
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
that megadeth guy is crazy he makes glen drover look terrible at least at tapping I hope one day to lean 8 finger tapping like that guy.

Chris Broderick? He is quite possibly the most technical AND most versatile guitarists I have ever seen. He has videos up on YouTube for everything from Nevermore to Paganini, and eight finger tapping arpeggios to crazy legato, and absolutely everything in between.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
5 months into playing huh?

Stop fretting over playing fast. Fret over playing well. Practice your scales, modes, learn theory, AND learn many different styles of music.

Study SONG WRITING. Any shmoe can play a billion notes fast.... it takes someone with skill and understanding to make it TASTEFUL and MUSICAL.

Stick to this. Speed will come in time.... AND it will come faster if you stick to these simple recommendations.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by brianthemayan
5 months into playing huh?

Stop fretting over playing fast. Fret over playing well. Practice your scales, modes, learn theory, AND learn many different styles of music.

Study SONG WRITING. Any shmoe can play a billion notes fast.... it takes someone with skill and understanding to make it TASTEFUL and MUSICAL.

Stick to this. Speed will come in time.... AND it will come faster if you stick to these simple recommendations.

+1,000,000
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Quote by the memory

sry i don't have any recording device but i can play the intro close to perfect until it comes time to hit the 24th fret. my dean only has 22 frets, so im kind of losing interest in the song. but i got the whole beginning down and i just do it over and over again.
They are both really hard to master, but you can pick up the basics of tapping first and look like you're competent.

Actual tapping is really hard though, this is some of my favourite:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wBL9LtFOZNI
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Tapping is a technique.Shredding is a an aplying of various techniques with great speed and precision.Atleast that's how I see it.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by guitar_loner
sry i don't have any recording device but i can play the intro close to perfect until it comes time to hit the 24th fret. my dean only has 22 frets, so im kind of losing interest in the song. but i got the whole beginning down and i just do it over and over again.

I'm not trying to discourage you or sound like a douchebag, but...

I highly doubt you can't play the intro. After 5 months, the only way you would be able to play that is if you were practicing 24 hours a day, the same song for 5 months straight.

Being able to play something means without struggle, with fluency, no errors, and good technique. I used to think I could play the solo to Shook me all night long when I first picked up guitar. Now I can, and I look back on songs that I thought I could play thinking "I can actually play them now ".

Everyone makes mistakes, so don't get discouraged if you do get a song down and goof up. It happens, but you can only play a piece when you can sift through it with ease, feeling, and less than 1% error.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Gawd NO no, and NO!

refer back to my original post please... it will be the ONLY post of REAL and TRUE REASON here. TRUE shredders will agree with me!!!!!!! I dare them not to.....

It's WAY EASY to play a BILLION notes a minute.... its another thing to play GOOD MUSIC.

PLEASE.... refer back to what I said earlier!!!!!!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Last edited by brianthemayan at Mar 26, 2008,
Page 1 of 2