if the notes of the harmnic minor in the key of D is: D E F G A A# C#. and i use the chords E5 A5 G5 C#5. will i still be in key?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
The E5 would be out of key too (it's 5th is B, which wouldn't be in key as said above). They're power chords, so who cares? I'm guessing this is for a metal song? The more dissonant the better.

EDIT: ...More so for lead solos and whatnot.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Last edited by Baasoromyuu at Mar 24, 2008,
how do i no which power chords fit in which key and scale?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Quote by kazra90

Theory sticky.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Theory sticky.

And since it gets ignored all too often:

i5 - ii5° - bIII5+ - iv5 - V5 - bVI5 - vii5°
is that for the harmonic minor?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90

You look at the notes of the scale - those are the roots of the power chords. Now just add a fifth.

I.e. D E F G A Bb C
power chords: DA, EB, FC etc...
TO do harmoic Minor in the key of D just play an A5, Amaj, or A7, and solo over that with D harmonic minor

Actually, if you change C#5, to C#dim, or C#dim7 it should work, but only over A5 and C#dim.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Last edited by Your_Dad at Mar 25, 2008,
I was under the impression that power chords implied no tonality. Power "chords" are really just intervals.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The D Harmonic Minor scale uses Bb, not A#; yes it matters.

Anyway, C#5 contains the G# note which is not in the D harmonic minor scale.

I lol'd at your sig.
Quote by HammerAndSickle
I was under the impression that power chords implied no tonality. Power "chords" are really just intervals.

Power chords are chords like any other. The difference is they only have 2 notes and aren't minor or major.
^Well, they aren't actually chords as chords are required to have more than two notes, but they function the same way as chords which is what matters.

Edit: Yes, I meant more than two. Fixed. Thanks.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by HammerAndSickle

Well power chords have no tonality, in that they lack a third. However, powerchords can be used as diatonic dyads consisting of roots and fifths, which will add tonality (not major or minor however), or they can be used to add texture.

To add texture, you would just play the scale, only with perfects added to each note. This will give you a traditional "power chord" sound, which typically does not imply any chords. These power chords will add texture to the harmonic minor, without implying any specific harmonies:

i5, ii5, bIII5, iv5, V5, VI5, vii5

To add tonality, and thus imply chords, one must play play the note, and the fifth scale degree up from that note, which gives 5, 5°, 5+ chords. These powerchords fit within the harmonic minor scale:

i5 - ii5° - bIII5+ - iv5 - V5 - bVI5 - vii5°
^To clarify, does º mean diminished? I don't know how to make the one with the slash to mean half diminished.
Quote by Avedas
^To clarify, does º mean diminished? I don't know how to make the one with the slash to mean half diminished.

º means diminished.

I do not know how to make a properly superscripted half-diminished sign. I use ø, which I found in Microsoft Word-->Insert-->Symbol. The half diminished symbol is only used to represent a chord with a diminished fifth and minor seventh. For fifths only, use the diminished symbol.
Quote by isaac_bandits
º means diminished.

I do not know how to make a properly superscripted half-diminished sign. I use ø, which I found in Microsoft Word-->Insert-->Symbol. The half diminished symbol is only used to represent a chord with a diminished fifth and minor seventh. For fifths only, use the diminished symbol.

Ok I don't know the keypad combination. I knew how the diminished chord was structured though.