Page 1 of 2
I totally ****ed up this year in high school and I'm worried that colleges will hold it against me. Like, I took a bunch of honors classes but was too lazy to do the work and screwed myself over and I don't want this to **** up my entire life.
I doubt playing guitar will really get me anywhere, so I need to get into a decent college.
So yeah, do colleges care that much for freshman year?
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Not really that much. They mainly look at 10th-12th grade. So just start doing your work and you should be fine.
I think every year in High School is important...

You gotta get those college credits.
LARGE TEXT
nope, just REALLY pick it up for the next couple of years in highschool and youll be fine
Quote by Holy.
I think every year in High School is important...

You gotta get those college credits.

....You can't get those until you're a junior...
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by guitarguy0153
i want me some kanye glasses too.

What does that have to do with anything?
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
The thing about fucking up ENTIRE years is, it might seem that it will screw you over in the long run, but trust me, it will.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Let me just say if I could go back and do 9th through 11th grade over again, I would.

Grades 9-12 all count towards your GPA, something that colleges look at. Slacking off one year can really lower it. Or in my case, 3 years.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
It will effect your gpa, but it isn't nearly as important as your junior and senior years.
Work hard now, because you will regret it later. I slacked off for my first three years of high school and now I wish I tried harder. I never did horrible, but I won't graduate with honors like I was hoping I would.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
They look at the third year but you may want to pull yourself up as soon as possible.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
well, if u really improve, it WILL show colleges about how u really got serious and turned it around. especially if you right about that in ur admission essay
If you look at your cumulative GPA for all your years at high school, then if you do really bad during freshmen year it will really impact your GPA even if you do well during the remaining year. Good thing for you is if you pick up your grades significantly (like 3.5+) and keep it like that for the rest of your high school career, then you can stress that improvement when you apply to college and that will look impressive on a transcript. Colleges love self improvement stories and promotion.
12 fret fury
Yes, high school is when you can develop your study skills for college. So while that doesnt effect your admission, it will have a big influence on your grades once you get to college.

High school is a joke, might as well beat the **** out of it...
Quote by Punk Poser
If you look at your cumulative GPA for all your years at high school, then if you do really bad during freshmen year it will really impact your GPA even if you do well during the remaining year. Good thing for you is if you pick up your grades significantly (like 3.5+) and keep it like that for the rest of your high school career, then you can stress that improvement when you apply to college and that will look impressive on a transcript. Colleges love self improvement stories and promotion.

Crap. Then I'm totally ****ed. I can't keep my GPA over 3.5 for 3 years.
Quote by HuckIt
It matters how bad your GPA is.
I didn't take freshman year that seriously, but I only took normal classes.
I'm doing mostly honors/APs either now during junior year or senior year, which I'm focusing on a lot more.
It obvioiusly will hurt you when they compare you with other applicants, but you don't want to screw yourself further so I suggest really picking up your work (a bit hypocritical as I am procrastinating right now, but w/e). Also, get involved with extracurriculars (make a good commitment) and get good references from teachers/others. That will help you out very much.
Quote by Punk Poser

+1.

Good luck.

Yeah, it matters on your GPA, but just pick it up. That's what I'm going to do, I also messed up this year.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
You are hardly "screwed".

If you really bunker down and try your next three years, and get into some good classes, and keep a good GPA, you will do fine.
The.
Quote by zyx
It matters how bad your GPA is.
I didn't take freshman year that seriously, but I only took normal classes.
I'm doing mostly honors/APs either now during junior year or senior year, which I'm focusing on a lot more.

Last semester I had a 2.71...
Now it doesn't look good since the quarter is almost over and I got a bunch of D's.
Which will surely drag down my semester grade and my GPA
Quote by HuckIt
just go to community college to save money for first year, and get good grades. Then transfer to a 4 year uni after that.
dude all that matters is grade 12. i didn't try at all until this year and i've gotten a scholarship to UBC and acceptance to queens (which i refuse to go to)
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by H(i)SS
ummm yeah dude it's an entire year. nothing matters until high school, so don't you think it means something? and besides it's the easiest year, innit. i'm a frosh too (in 5 honors classes) and have very nearly a 4.0 (weighted)

Actually, Senior year is supposedly the easiest. Whatever, I'm in about the same situation as TS and I have GPA around 3 now, so I don't know if I'm screwed. Except I did fairly well this marking period.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Slaytanic6606
Last semester I had a 2.71...
Now it doesn't look good since the quarter is almost over and I got a bunch of D's.
Which will surely drag down my semester grade and my GPA

I almost had a 3.0 freshman year despite nearly failing math, then my grades declined during soph/junior year, but I still have about a 2.7
Second semester senior year will probably be the easiest
Is there anything I can do to make up for my crappy freshman year?
Quote by HuckIt
Quote by Slaytanic6606

do well in ur next years, and once u hit upperclassman range take one or two AP classes, a college might get really impressed seeing someone who really turned it around, it shows maturity
Focusing on your senior year is completely pointless....
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by Slaytanic6606

again who cares what you do when your a minor 9er just do well in 11 and 12 (shouldn't be hard in 12) and your set. also take an AP becasue it really helps.

if you take an AP i suggest american history i didn't study once and i ended up with a 4 (out of 5) on it
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
I'm having the same problem...fcking up freshman year...though I haven't actually failed anything, and I've been taking all honors...so it's not so bad.
Quote by Drmckool
dude all that matters is grade 12. i didn't try at all until this year and i've gotten a scholarship to UBC and acceptance to queens (which i refuse to go to)

What's wrong with Queen's? And why did you apply there if you never planned on going?

Oh yeah, and you guys all suck. In Canada they look at grade 11 for early acceptance but otherwise all that matters are grade 12 marks.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

If you have a **** GPA freshman year and then get all A's the rest of the time colleges really really like that. It shows that you have your act together.
I am the Infantry.
Quote by Slaytanic6606
Like, I took a bunch of honors classes but was too lazy to do the work and screwed myself over

I also did this last year. I'am doing fine now though. Sure I had to go to summer school and will probably have to go again this year but twas my fault. But yeah you get to work!
Page 1 of 2