Just do regular scales but using three fingers instead of two.

Make sure you pay attention to finger alteration during though. I always messup on the transition between ascending and descending with finger alteration.
Quote by FullMetalBass
Just do regular scales but using three fingers instead of two.

Make sure you pay attention to finger alteration during though. I always messup on the transition between ascending and descending with finger alteration.

+1
When your playing a pentatonic, start with middle finger on E string, then next note with Ring finger, then Index finger for next string.
Build up a rhythm that you're comfortable with.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
First off, great technique to learn. I play in a prog band and use it constantly.

Scales and a metronome are your best shot at mastering it. Check out YouTube and search for it. There's a great video with Wooten explaining some exercises for it.

Good luck,
Cbaby
The natural muscle tendency is to go outside in, IE Pinky Ring Middle Point. So RMI is my preferred method of playing with three fingers. There's also IMR, RMIM, etc. Find which way works for you, but I prefer RMI. Also, the ring finger does not have its own tendon. It leeches off of your middle and pinky fingers. Keep that in mind.

Exercise making it not sound like a triplet. Set up a slow metronome and practice like this.

[i][b]1[/b][/i] + 2 + [i][b]3[/b][/i] + 4 + [i][b]1[/b][/i] + 2 + [i][b]3[/b][/i] + 4 +
[i][b]R[/b][/i] M I R [i][b]M[/b][/i] I R M [i][b]I[/b][/i] R M I [i][b]R[/b][/i] M I R

Etcetera. At first, practice really hammering down every fourth note. After that, just keep it steady. Keep it slow and slooooooowly speed up the metronome. After that start adding three note per string scales.

10-9-7---------------9-7-5
-----10-9-7---------------9-7-5
----------10-8-7---------------8-7-5
---------------10-8-7---------------8-7-5

In the key of C, for example. Run through all of your keys like that. Then I think you'll be able to figure something out. Play with it, string skip between fingers, learn it the opposite way you originally learned it, whatever.
* Nobody likes WootSticks
Quote by MustangMan311
You should definitely try the two major techniques in three finger style: 3-2-1 and the DiGorgio method, 3-2-1-2.

I tried the DiGorgio method, but my middle finger didn't like it. My middle finger is by far my strongest finger, long story, couldn't use my pointer finger for six months, and I still couldn't do it.
* Nobody likes WootSticks
Quote by WootSticks
I tried the DiGorgio method, but my middle finger didn't like it. My middle finger is by far my strongest finger, long story, couldn't use my pointer finger for six months, and I still couldn't do it.

I find myself constantly rushing with it, but it's more efficient, IMO, and I'm definitely seeing an increase in speed and stuff.